1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Talking greetings!

Hey guys! I'm new to android and I have to say so far I'm over impressed! Can't believe I even remotely considered buying an ios! Haha anyway, I've got an lg escape (p-780) on at&t.
    Really im considering rooting it just to dump some of the crap apps they preloaded my phone with that I have absolutely no use for. So for my first question to you guys, would that work? If I were to root my phone would I be able to dump apps that were pre installed into my phone that won't allow me to un-install them otherwise? I don't feel that these apps are crucial to my phone functioning. Apps like play music/magazine/books quik lite ypmobile etc. So would thanks for yojr help guys!rooting my phone allow me to get rid.of these and have more internal space?

Global Posts
    13,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: greetings!

Quote Originally Posted by deerman3006 View Post
    Hey guys! I'm new to android and I have to say so far I'm over impressed! Can't believe I even remotely considered buying an ios! Haha anyway, I've got an lg escape (p-780) on at&t.
    Really im considering rooting it just to dump some of the crap apps they preloaded my phone with that I have absolutely no use for. So for my first question to you guys, would that work? If I were to root my phone would I be able to dump apps that were pre installed into my phone that won't allow me to un-install them otherwise? I don't feel that these apps are crucial to my phone functioning. Apps like play music/magazine/books quik lite ypmobile etc. So would thanks for yojr help guys!rooting my phone allow me to get rid.of these and have more internal space?
    Rooting is a double edge sword. When successful, you can download apps like Titanium Backup, which allow you to delete apps or freeze them (generally preferred method). Rooting also opens up hidden options and settings in other apps, and even allows to flash custom ROMs. However, if unsuccessful, it can possibly lead to soft bricked devices, and do void warranties on stock ROMs.

Titanium Backup is a great app. Freezing is probably a better way to go, it will stop an app from running and allows you to see how the phone reacts to the app being 'missing'. It allows deletion and back ups of apps and data.

Now, if you are running ICS (Android 4.0) or Jelly Bean (4.1) you can go into Settings>Application Manager> and swipe to the side until you are looking at all applications. Scroll down to whatever app you don't want, tap on it, and click disable. This does the same thing as freezing, and you don't have to root. (If you have updates to installed apps you will see an uninstall updates. Tap that, go back into the app and Disable will be in the same place, and you are then free to disable the app).

If you have no reason or need to flash custom ROMs, I would suggest staying on the stock rom and disabling apps through application manager.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the tip! The issue is this, the LG escape does not have a whole lot of internal memory (2 gb) And I have one game that's about half a gig worth of memory by it's self. I was thinking once rooted I could dump the stock apps to free up some room. As it stands I don't have a whole lot of apps installed and when the one game that I consistently play wants to update I have to delete other apps to free up the room necessary to update. I know I'm sounding childish in saying this, but oh well. lol. I do have experience in building computer systems and know my way around linux os' and the like so I'm not worried about getting in over my head. Just don't want to go through with rooting to find out I still can't dump the factory apps. Also, does anyone know of a good place to get good rooting instructions for this phone? I've read somewhere else (may have been on here but I'm still learning my way around haha) that being that my phone is p87010i that i can't root it. :/ Anyone know otherwise?

yeah you can get rid of some of them but be careful. use this app to move some of those huge game files to the sd card: "foldermount" which is in the playstore. i haven't tested this one but i would say try this one first and "directorybind" which is some where on xda. just google directorybind xda or something like that. you are really experienced with linux so you should be fine.

Welcome to AC! If you root your phone, you'll definitely have privileges to remove bloatware, whether it's by manually removing the app using other apps such as Titanium Backup, or by flashing a custom ROM and removing the bloatware that way.