New android owner

angstdroid

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello , I've got a new S3 . Coming from a Nokia Lumia 900 that was very easy to use until I face planted it and ATT made me an offer with this nice phone . There are many things I love about it but I find it much more difficult to use for the everyday things . My previous smart phones (also had an I 3GS ) would tell me when I had a text on the screen and even give a preview of it . If I missed it a number would be there to show me I had a text . I was annoyed at having to download an app just to get my voicemail and I don't like the app much either . So far I have only loaded apps through play store yet it seems I picked up some mobile search app that wants to hijack my browser . I thought I uninstalled it yet the other day an ad took over my browser that I could not back out of . I do have Lookout and its up to date . Another cool thing about my Nokia was that I could just hold down the home button and tell it what to do such as call or text someone which I miss . I think this is a really nice phone and hope the more experienced will be patient enough with me to tell me what I"m missing :confused: It seems that even when I turn off an app that it's still running and eating the battery . This didn't seem to be the case with other phones but I might be wrong . An issue that disturbs me too is that most of these apps declare that they will have full access to using the mic and camera whether I like it or not . What's up with that ? This makes me not want to get new apps at all which the reason I jumped to android from windows :mad: At the time it seems like this phone is a lot more work to use on a daily basis and I'm hoping I can rectify that here with the some help . Thanks in advance , Jim

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello , I've got a new S3 . Coming from a Nokia Lumia 900 that was very easy to use until I face planted it and ATT made me an offer with this nice phone . There are many things I love about it but I find it much more difficult to use for the everyday things . My previous smart phones (also had an I 3GS ) would tell me when I had a text on the screen and even give a preview of it . If I missed it a number would be there to show me I had a text . I was annoyed at having to download an app just to get my voicemail and I don't like the app much either . So far I have only loaded apps through play store yet it seems I picked up some mobile search app that wants to hijack my browser . I thought I uninstalled it yet the other day an ad took over my browser that I could not back out of . I do have Lookout and its up to date . Another cool thing about my Nokia was that I could just hold down the home button and tell it what to do such as call or text someone which I miss . I think this is a really nice phone and hope the more experienced will be patient enough with me to tell me what I"m missing :confused: It seems that even when I turn off an app that it's still running and eating the battery . This didn't seem to be the case with other phones but I might be wrong . An issue that disturbs me too is that most of these apps declare that they will have full access to using the mic and camera whether I like it or not . What's up with that ? This makes me not want to get new apps at all which the reason I jumped to android from windows :mad: At the time it seems like this phone is a lot more work to use on a daily basis and I'm hoping I can rectify that here with the some help . Thanks in advance , Jim

Hi, welcome to Android and the forums.

I have an S3, (Sprint) and I can try to help you out. If I miss some questions, I apologize, and please re ask them.
You seemed to have a few questions about text messages. There generally is a text icon in the notification bar (area on the top of the screen), you can do one of several things: (These pertain to my S3, it shouldn't be any different but carriers can tweak with stuff on phones...) First, if the phone screen is locked, when you turn it on, there should be a circle with an envelope. Press there and drag out similar to unlocking, and you will go straight into text messaging. If the phone screen is already unlocked, you have a choice; put your finger on the very top of the screen and pull down. This is opening the notification tray. There will be your text message in there, with a preview. Touch, and you go right to texting. Or, you can open the texting app and navigate to the new message (Typically the top one)

You can also change settings while in texting to show notifications. In the main screen, where all your messages with contacts are, touch the menu button, and touch settings.

The hijacked browser is a direct result from some kind of app, probably a game. You can opt out of most of these. Try to Google Leadbolt opt out. You then provide your specific phone ID and you are opted out. Leadbolt is a big one. Adpush(?) is another. I am sorry about sketchy details, I opted out a long time ago, and haven't thought of them since.

How bad is your battery drain? How long can you go between chargings with how much use?

You are smart to read the app permissions. I don't know of any apps needing the camera or mic, and I have no idea why they need them. I know most monitor calls, but that just means that it's programmed to pause/close when a call comes in.

If I missed anything, please let me know, I will try to help the best that I can.

Last edited: