1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Maemo & iOS immigrant here

Hi! I'm relatively new to Android (not counting the one in VirtualBox, though ), Maemo & iOS immigrant (didn't really like the iPhone, I do still use the iPad, and I'm not letting go my faithful Nokia N900 just yet until I sort everything out on my brand new Samsung Galaxy Note II bad-*** "phone"). Will probably have lots of questions in the beginning, especially since I like to be in control of my "toys".
    The first few days of use have also convinced me that I should probably root my phablet during the following days.
    OK, let's go then...

Default Re: Maemo & iOS immigrant here

Welcome :-D

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    13,918 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Continuum88 View Post
    Hi! I'm relatively new to Android (not counting the one in VirtualBox, though ), Maemo & iOS immigrant (didn't really like the iPhone, I do still use the iPad, and I'm not letting go my faithful Nokia N900 just yet until I sort everything out on my brand new Samsung Galaxy Note II bad-*** "phone"). Will probably have lots of questions in the beginning, especially since I like to be in control of my "toys".
    The first few days of use have also convinced me that I should probably root my phablet during the following days.
    OK, let's go then...
    Welcome to Android and the forums. While rooting and flashing ROMs sounds like fun (and they are) I would suggest to wait until you are comfortable with the device before doing so. If you decide to do those things; 1. Read all instructions. 2. Make absolutely sure the ROM/root procedure is for your exact device (International ROMs on US phones are almost certain to bad news), and if possible, 3. Have a backup stock ROM so that if there is a bad flash, or you don't like the ROM, you can start over fresh. With a Samsung device, ODIN will be your best friend.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Sure, I'm definitely not rooting it before I'm completely comfortable with the device and determine what it can and cannot do without the root. At this moment, three of the main reasons for rooting on my side are:
    - being able to use sync on files with WinSCP via SSH: while I have already installed an SSH server that works without rooting, i.e. SSHelper, I've noticed that if I copy files from my computer to Note, it will report an error about not being allowed to change the files' timestamps to reflect the date/time of the file on the computer;
    - disabling the annoying loud shutter sounds of the camera (without having to mute the device);
    - Droidwall... (if it's still current, that is).

Already did some preliminary search on rooting Note II, and saw there are three possible options (Exynos, Odin, CF); and if I get it right, the first one would be the simplest one, but it won't work on 4.1.x anymore. So, Odin, you say.

Anyhow, do I get to keep all settings, customizations, and installations after the rooting process (I'm not looking for a custom ROM or anything like that for the time being, I just want "full control" for what it's worth), or is it akin to formatting the disk drive on a computer and installing the OS from scratch?
    Can I create a 100% "image" of the current system so that I can restore it in case I need it back (in case of warranty or selling)? (Which is basically what I've always done to a new laptop - a clonezilla image of the "factory" installation just in case, then repartitioning and setting it up the way I wanted it )
    Last edited by Continuum88; 03-26-2013 at 04:11 AM.