Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OperationA7X
  • 1 Post By OperationA7X
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help! I bricked my One S following a YouTube tutorial. What did I do wrong?

Okay, so I haven't had a working phone for days now, I'm at my wits end. I unlocked the bootloader on my HTC One S while watching a tutorial on YouTube, everything went well and then when it was time to flash a CM 10.1 ROM, everything went wrong. Okay, so according to the tutorial, I had to download the HTC drivers, the ROM, and copy the boot.img and drop it to the fastboot files folder. I did that and when I put my phone in Recovery, I can't install the ROM because it's nowhere to be found. I've gone back a million times and I don't even know how to fix it. Also, I've already done a factory wipe and a cache wipe, and it even states that I don't have an OS before I try to power off or reboot. Also, I do see that TWRP is on my phone, but when I click it, nothing happens. Would it be easier to find the right files, and install CM10 or try to get it back to its original software? Any help is appreciated. I'm a noon and a girl at that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help! I bricked my One S following a YouTube tutorial. What did I do wrong?-2013-04-07-18.34.32.jpg   Help! I bricked my One S following a YouTube tutorial. What did I do wrong?-2013-04-07-18.34.03.jpg   Help! I bricked my One S following a YouTube tutorial. What did I do wrong?-2013-04-07-18.35.00.jpg   Help! I bricked my One S following a YouTube tutorial. What did I do wrong?-2013-04-07-18.34.42.jpg   Help! I bricked my One S following a YouTube tutorial. What did I do wrong?-2013-04-07-18.35.28.jpg  

Help! I bricked my One S following a YouTube tutorial. What did I do wrong?-2013-04-07-18.38.25.jpg  
    Last edited by silvercake1; 04-07-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Help! I bricked my One S following a YouTube tutorial. What did I do wrong?

I would see if you can download the original OS to an external SD card and install from that . And I think that is where the original problem started. More often than not, ROMs like to be on external cards to be installed. Also, did you make sure this ROM was for your device? I know Cyanogen is a pretty universal ROM, but did their website say it was for the One S? Did you download the ROM file for your carrier?

This is also the reason you make a backup of your ROM before you flash. In case of a bad flash, you have a way out. Also, on this site, try searching for username OperationA7X. He knows HTC devices well, and should be able to help.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Help! I bricked my One S following a YouTube tutorial. What did I do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by silvercake1 View Post
    Okay, so I haven't had a working phone for days now, I'm at my wits end. I unlocked the bootloader on my HTC One S while watching a tutorial on YouTube, everything went well and then when it was time to flash a CM 10.1 ROM, everything went wrong. Okay, so according to the tutorial, I had to download the HTC drivers, the ROM, and copy the boot.img and drop it to the fastboot files folder. I did that and when I put my phone in Recovery, I can't install the ROM because it's nowhere to be found. I've gone back a million times and I don't even know how to fix it. Also, I've already done a factory wipe and a cache wipe, and it even states that I don't have an OS before I try to power off or reboot. Also, I do see that TWRP is on my phone, but when I click it, nothing happens. Would it be easier to find the right files, and install CM10 or try to get it back to its original software? Any help is appreciated. I'm a noon and a girl at that.
    After posting thought: I suggested the original OS due to it would be easier to restart from square one than keep trying to flash Cyanogen, since that is where the problem started.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thank you for responding, The HTC One S doesn't have an external SD card slot, I tried using using Hasoon's All in one, and yes, the CM rom was for this phone, but through a little more digging I think the problem happened when I tried to copy and paste the SuperUser file to drivers. I must have skipped that step, and now I can't seem to get my computer to recognize my phone, so I wouldn't even know how to add anything to the internal folder. I will look into the Operation A7X. Thanks again.

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by silvercake1 View Post
    Thank you for responding, The HTC One S doesn't have an external SD card slot, I tried using using Hasoon's All in one, and yes, the CM rom was for this phone, but through a little more digging I think the problem happened when I tried to copy and paste the SuperUser file to drivers. I must have skipped that step, and now I can't seem to get my computer to recognize my phone, so I wouldn't even know how to add anything to the internal folder. I will look into the Operation A7X. Thanks again.
    Just to reiterate, A7X is a user on this forum, so searching and sending a private message should do. I am primarily a Samsung user, never used HTC, but I am guessing that if you can still boot up into recovery, you have a good chance getting your phone back, but I still am deferring to his advice.

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

I would say to grab a different recovery and flash that one for the time being. Bare bone recoveries never let me down. TWRP is just there to make life easier. For root access just to flash a ROM? That doesn't make sense. All I've had to do was unlock my boot loader, flash a custom recovery, and that was it. So I'd suggest going back to square one (relocking, which will eranse the TWRP for the stock recovery) and try again. I found the easiest way to go back to square one and to start clean was use of an RUU, but I will see if there is an RUU for your phone.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.
    satannik likes this.

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Also, you're in luck, found the RUU!

Just relock your bootloader, make sure you have HTC Drivers installed and since you can not boot into the OS, boot into Fastboot and connect the USB cord. Then, run the RUU.

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by OperationA7X View Post
    Also, you're in luck, found the RUU!

Just relock your bootloader, make sure you have HTC Drivers installed and since you can not boot into the OS, boot into Fastboot and connect the USB cord. Then, run the RUU.

To the OP...see? I knew he would have a good response.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    To the OP...see? I knew he would have a good response.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Thanks for recommending me, I actually feel kinda honored, haha!

herecomesmaggi likes this.

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks for recommending me, I actually feel kinda honored, haha!

Dude....clear out your messages....so people can contact you...lol.

Silvercake, welcome to A|C. A suggestion for future posting: When the post relates to a specific device, as you're did, you will generally get more people reading and responding to it if you post in the forum dedicated to that device.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Dude....clear out your messages....so people can contact you...lol.
    I did! :o I felt so bad because I have a set data limit and I'm close to the cap, but I did it anyways. It's free and clear!

Sent from my HTC Vivid Borked using Android Central Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me go back to stock. You left some instructions on a previous comment but I wanted to know if there was a particular way to do it when you're S-on. I've already downloaded the drivers, so I pretty much have everything I need. I just needed a step by step. Can you help, please. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

You need to download the phone's RUU...I'm slightly lazy/too busy to search the thread for what phone you have. Just let me know when you got it.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

You need to download the phone's RUU...I'm slightly lazy/too busy to search the thread for what phone you have. Just let me know when you got it.

Hi, I had already downloaded the RUU, so I'm all set. I just need a refresher, some step by step instructions, I don't want to brick my phone again. I have read on other sites that since my phone is S-on, the bootloader must be locked first, then the RUU must run. I pretty much just want to remember what other files i need, ex. fastboot, c drive, or d drive. Thanks

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

All you need is to have HTC Drivers installed, relock the bootloader [fastboot OEM lock] (I think), and follow the instructions on screen from the RUU. Shouldn't take no more than 10 minutes.

hey i am needing some help i cannot get any RUU to work with my htc one s i have 3 different ones on my computer and i get error 155 for each one. my phone does have an unlocked boot loader and was on the PACman rom. i am trying to revert it back to stock so i can sell this phone. i have TWRP 2.5.0.0 flashed on to the phone right now but none of the recoveries can detect the md5 backup file i downloaded from this website i have tried flashing the boot.img and the recovery.img files and i did have some success until i got the OTA update to 4.0.4 and then the boot screen went black and the phone was rendered useless. i have been searching for the past 3 days on how to recover this phone but i have had little to no luck with anything. i was able to partially flash a CM10.0 ROM last night but it got stuck at the cyanogenmod boot logo. anything help at this point. the phone also has S-ON and i cannot enable USB debugging to use Hasoon2000's all-in-one-kit

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

You have to manually flash the boot.img if you're S-ON, as for using the RUU files, you have to use the latest update and your bootloader must be LOCKED or RELOCKED prior to running the RUU.

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums

would you be able to help me out? i can give you all the info i have for the phone

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

I thought I did, but I can walk you through everything if needed.

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums

help is no longer needed i found the correct RUU for the JB radio i have on my phone i have attached the link so others can use it. i found it after digging since this morning its for the Radio: 1.13.50.05.31 it worked for me and i hope that others find it very useful too

ime having the same problem but the ruu link you posted was not working

Try following a different tutorial. Looks pretty bad but if you can't get it to work try reinstalling the OS and start from there.