New Guy from South Louisiana

crazycrew

May 28, 2013
Visit site
New here! I recently purchased an S4 active. Coming from an iPhone, wow!!!! Tremendous difference! I've had iPhone since #2. Decided I wanted to try out an android. I'm liking it so far. I've downloaded superkeyboard, to help me get used to this phones keys. I wanted to feel like I had my iPhone keys LOL.

I do have a few? ?s but I'll save those for the specific forums

Brooks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
New here! I recently purchased an S4 active. Coming from an iPhone, wow!!!! Tremendous difference! I've had iPhone since #2. Decided I wanted to try out an android. I'm liking it so far. I've downloaded superkeyboard, to help me get used to this phones keys. I wanted to feel like I had my iPhone keys LOL.

I do have a few? ?s but I'll save those for the specific forums

Brooks

Welcome ot the forums!
What are your questions? They might be general enough for an answer.

crazycrew

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys!

I'll start with a few easy? ?s

1. Everytime I get a text msg it sends a copy to my email. I'd like to stop this but have not found a setting in msgs or email to stop it?????

2. This is being kinda picky, but how do I save a pic from the Facebook app? Like just a pic, say one of my friends post!

3. Voicemail. Can I delete it without going thru the whole process? Or do I actually have to go in and dial vm so I can listen to it before deleting??

I'm sure I'll have more, but those are what's bothering me atm.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys!

I'll start with a few easy? ?s

1. Everytime I get a text msg it sends a copy to my email. I'd like to stop this but have not found a setting in msgs or email to stop it?????

2. This is being kinda picky, but how do I save a pic from the Facebook app? Like just a pic, say one of my friends post!

3. Voicemail. Can I delete it without going thru the whole process? Or do I actually have to go in and dial vm so I can listen to it before deleting??

I'm sure I'll have more, but those are what's bothering me atm.

1. Not sure. It may be a carrier thing. I am with Sprint and I don't have that issue.

2. Try long pressing the photo. You should, if app allows it, to download the image

3. Again, try long pressing the message.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

crazycrew

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I'll try those when I run into it again. One more that's on my mind. On the weather thats on the home screen (the live app), are you stuck with the factory installed app or can it be changed?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. I wonder if that's some kind of feature that your carrier provides, as Golfdriver97 mentioned above. I have Verizon, and don't see that option anywhere, either on my phone or on the Verizon website under my account. Try logging into to your account on your wireless provider's website, and search the texting features to see if there is some option for text messages to be sent to your email as well.

2. On my Facebook app, I find that I can't directly download photos either--long pressing doesn't seem to do anything. If you bring up a photo that someone else posted, then tap the menu button, you'll get a few options including "Share" (which only shares it on your Timeline) and "Set as," which then gives you the option of making that picture a wallpaper or a contact picture. I haven't tried, but I suppose that if you set it as a wallpaper, you could somehow retrieve that photo and place it in your gallery as well, but not sure if the photo would end up being stored in some weird location. Interestingly, Google+ also has this limitation.

3. I'm assuming you only have voicemail that you can access by dialing the phone. For most systems, you do have to dial in, then listen and then delete the voicemail. You can always fastforward to the end (for Verizon, dial "33") then delete (dial "7"), so you don't have to listen to the whole message. Verizon has an additional paid feature called Visual Voicemail, which transcribes your voicemails that you can then read in an app--I think you can then tap to delete those messages, and your actual voicemail will delete as well. But you have to pay extra, so it isn't worth it to me. If you're on a different wireless service, see if they have something similar. For example, my Comcast cable phone service allows me to access voicemails on the web and on the Xfinity Connect app, where I can listen and delete very easily by tapping.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I'll try those when I run into it again. One more that's on my mind. On the weather thats on the home screen (the live app), are you stuck with the factory installed app or can it be changed?

You mean the weather widget? You can always replace that widget with any number of cool ones available (mostly for free) on Google Play. Just go to Google Play on your device or your desktop, and search for "Weather." Most weather apps come with widgets you can place on the homescreen. Pick one you like, and after you install it, go to your Widgets list to find the newly installed weather widget, long press it until you can drag it, then drag it to your homescreen. Here's one suggestion: Eye in Sky Weather

To remove any widget that's currently on your homescreen, just long press it until you can drag it, then drag it to the "Remove" or trashcan icon. That only removes it from the homescreen--it doesn't delete it from you system.

crazycrew

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. And yes, I was speaking if the weather widget! Remember, I came from iPhone, it'll take some time. LOL

crazycrew

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have a suggestion for a good easy to set up shift work app/widget calendar?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, he's just referring to the Calendar app and widget that came preinstalled on your device. Can you be a little more specific about what you mean by a "shift work app/widget calendar"? Do you mean a calendar specifically for work shifts? It should be relatively straightforward to enter work shifts into your Calendar app manually. Otherwise, you could go to Google Play and search for "shift calendar." A number of apps came up; this was the first one:

FD Shift Calendar Widget

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No, he's just referring to the Calendar app and widget that came preinstalled on your device. Can you be a little more specific about what you mean by a "shift work app/widget calendar"? Do you mean a calendar specifically for work shifts? It should be relatively straightforward to enter work shifts into your Calendar app manually. Otherwise, you could go to Google Play and search for "shift calendar." A number of apps came up; this was the first one:

FD Shift Calendar Widget

Thanks for covering B. Diddy!

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

crazycrew

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I actually found one in the okay store. Thanks! Yes I was referring to one that helps to keep track of my shift.