Hello everyone, new here from an iPhone 5 to S4

Jeff Hall3

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
That's right, I made the change, I have been with Apple since the iPhone 3 and had till I had the 5 and I was a developer for them as well. I wanted to try it so I went with the S4 and so far so good, really liking it to my surprise.

Anyways, I am from California and my name is Jeff. Hoping to get some really good info from here.

Thanks and see you around!!

Jeff

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey Jeff, welcome to Android Central! Glad you're enjoying your S4. Make sure you ask questions here if you run into any problems!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That's right, I made the change, I have been with Apple since the iPhone 3 and had till I had the 5 and I was a developer for them as well. I wanted to try it so I went with the S4 and so far so good, really liking it to my surprise.

Anyways, I am from California and my name is Jeff. Hoping to get some really good info from here.

Thanks and see you around!!

Jeff

Welcome to the forums!!!!
Give yourself about a week to get used to the new OS. When you do, try downloading a different launcher from Play, like Nova, ADW, Action, or GO.

Action Launcher Guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/305515-guide-action-launcher.html
Nova Guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/299378-guide-nova-launcher.html

Launchers open more customizing options than stock. It can help make your device truly your own.

Couple more bits of advice: If you don't like something about Android, you can most likely change it.

And to help get rid of some of those pesky Bloatware apps that you may never use: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ng-apps-galaxy-s3-tab-2-no-root-required.html

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, Jeff! I'm fairly new here too and like you, I'll be dumping my iPhone 5 for a Galaxy S4 which I expect to receive within the coming week! I'm glad you're liking your new phone :D

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, Jeff! I'm fairly new here too and like you, I'll be dumping my iPhone 5 for a Galaxy S4 which I expect to receive within the coming week! I'm glad you're liking your new phone :D

Welcome to the forums!

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What's up Cali Jeff! See I already made a nick name for you! ;) Seriously though welcome to AC!

torndownunit

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I recently switched from iPhone to the s4 as well. There is a lot I love about the the device. I have found a few annoyances, and I have been tweaking the phone since I got it trying to improve battery life. My first exposure to android was stock android on a nexus 7, and if I had the cash to buy a phone outright, I think the Play version of this phone would have been my ideal device.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I recently switched from iPhone to the s4 as well. There is a lot I love about the the device. I have found a few annoyances, and I have been tweaking the phone since I got it trying to improve battery life. My first exposure to android was stock android on a nexus 7, and if I had the cash to buy a phone outright, I think the Play version of this phone would have been my ideal device.

Welcome to the forums!
What annoyances do you have?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

torndownunit

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
What annoyances do you have?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

I have tried a bunch of keyboards, and I still prefer the iPhone keyboard at this point.

I am not thrilled with battery life mainly because of the inconsistency. I will get 18 hours one day, 12 the next with the exact same conditions. Just not a problem I had with my iPhone. With things being so inconsistent, trouble shooting has been annoying.

I was in newfoundland last week, and we had no cell coverage. Due to.whatever method the phones uses to set times zones, mine would not automatically adjust zones while my girlfriends iPhone would.

I love the configuration options with the phone. But, I also find it means I need to tweak things I didn't need to with the iPhone as a downside. Its great when I want to customize things, but takes a hit in the 'it just works' department which is where the iPhone excels.

I am not knocking one OS or the other though. My conclusion has basically been to this point that there are strong points of both. Same with the hardware. I am not regretting the switch, but there are some adjustments for sure.

Jeff Hall3

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much to all of you for the welcome and all of the useful info! I have had this phone for 3 weeks now and I really do like it a lot. I am going to rant a little about what my concerns are but I am not asking for a fix, just dont want to be told that I am posting this in the wrong section and all:

- I truly want an SMS program that will pop up on my lockscreen EVEN if I have a password so that I can reply right there.
- I use SwiftKey and so far I really like it but the typing for me is hard, I could type faster on my iPhone. Not giving up at all, I am sure it will get easier
- My phone is rooted and I use programs to clean it up but when I open programs, there is a delay on opening (sluggish)
- Its a good thing but there are SO many settings that it can be overwhelming, even for a techie like me
- This is BIG for me! Notifications, I DO NOT get badges on my apps. Sometimes it is totally random but almost all the time, there are none. When I open the app, I see I have alerts and it bugs me that i had no idea.

End of rant.

Again, thanks for the replies, I am really going to love this forum if this is how it always is!

Cali Jeff
:)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much to all of you for the welcome and all of the useful info! I have had this phone for 3 weeks now and I really do like it a lot. I am going to rant a little about what my concerns are but I am not asking for a fix, just dont want to be told that I am posting this in the wrong section and all:

- I truly want an SMS program that will pop up on my lockscreen EVEN if I have a password so that I can reply right there.
- I use SwiftKey and so far I really like it but the typing for me is hard, I could type faster on my iPhone. Not giving up at all, I am sure it will get easier
- My phone is rooted and I use programs to clean it up but when I open programs, there is a delay on opening (sluggish)
- Its a good thing but there are SO many settings that it can be overwhelming, even for a techie like me
- This is BIG for me! Notifications, I DO NOT get badges on my apps. Sometimes it is totally random but almost all the time, there are none. When I open the app, I see I have alerts and it bugs me that i had no idea.

End of rant.

Again, thanks for the replies, I am really going to love this forum if this is how it always is!

Cali Jeff
:)

Glad you like the device. Gonna try to answer your rants:
1. Most likely not possible. Security breach. In theory, once someone can bypass the pin, they have access to your phone. This was present in a model of Samsung's and patched.

2. May or may not improve. The iPhone emphasizes touch inputs, Android does not. The device and program may still be learning your habits.

3. Try either loading Nova or Action Launcher. Sometimes they handle processing better than stock. You can also try settings>developer options> window, animation, and transition scales to .5

4. Need clarification please.

From a SlimROM S3

torndownunit

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if there is a keyboard that is iOS like? I always see the iOS keyboard getting knocked, but I have tried 3 different keyboard on my S4 now, and I still prefer the iOS keyboard on my old iPhone.

Davesbaby

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone I have a Samsung galaxy sgh-i577 I switched it over to straight talk I am unable to received picture text I change the apn setting I can do everything else but received pictures can anyone HELP??!??

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone I have a Samsung galaxy sgh-i577 I switched it over to straight talk I am unable to received picture text I change the apn setting I can do everything else but received pictures can anyone HELP??!??

Welcome to Android Central! You'll probably have more luck getting answers if you start a new thread in this forum with your question: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-news-discussion/

And just to make sure, you have mobile data (i.e., 4G or 3G) on, right? Because pictures can't be transmitted with normal texting using your phone service.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE