Windows Phone user making the switch.

ArousedSpoon

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I've been using Windows Phone for almost 3 years now, I've only ever used 7/7.8 never 8, but I still feel the OS is too far behind compared to Android. And I want more well working official apps, like instagram, vine, etc. I also want things like a notification system which is supposedly coming out in a future update for WP. Even apps developed by Microsoft appear to work better on other OS' from what I see, a huge example is Smartglass.

Is now a good time to switch to Android? I've been looking at the HTC One, and the S4, are there other devices coming soon I should wait for?

Also is there any other things I should know about first before switching? Is there anyone else who has used WP for an extended period of time before switching?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I've been using Windows Phone for almost 3 years now, I've only ever used 7/7.8 never 8, but I still feel the OS is too far behind compared to Android. And I want more well working official apps, like instagram, vine, etc. I also want things like a notification system which is supposedly coming out in a future update for WP. Even apps developed by Microsoft appear to work better on other OS' from what I see, a huge example is Smartglass.

Is now a good time to switch to Android? I've been looking at the HTC One, and the S4, are there other devices coming soon I should wait for?

Also is there any other things I should know about first before switching? Is there anyone else who has used WP for an extended period of time before switching?

Welcome to the forums!!
Now is a wonderful time to switch. You have the Note 3, the S4, the HTC One, the LG g2, the Moto X, already announced or released; the Nexus 5 is supposed to be coming out soon. A whole plethora of devices.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There has never been a better time to switch. Sounds like a commercial, right?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am a former Windows Phone user myself who switched for many of the same reasons. I'm very happy with Android. I had used android in the past (1.5, 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1) and had had bad experiences (hence the switch to Windows Phone) and Android now is not the Same OS that it used to be, it is great now. Personally, unless you want stock android, I think the best phones to get are the Note III, HTC One (which is what I have), the LG Optimus G Pro, or the LG G2.

ArousedSpoon

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I am a former Windows Phone user myself who switched for many of the same reasons. I'm very happy with Android. I had used android in the past (1.5, 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1) and had had bad experiences (hence the switch to Windows Phone) and Android now is not the Same OS that it used to be, it is great now. Personally, unless you want stock android, I think the best phones to get are the Note III, HTC One (which is what I have), the LG Optimus G Pro, or the LG G2.

Yea, I was looking into the HTC one cause my current phone is also HTC and have never had a problem. When was the Note III released? I'm in Canada with Bell and they don't have it yet.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I was looking into the HTC one cause my current phone is also HTC and have never had a problem. When was the Note III released? I'm in Canada with Bell and they don't have it yet.
That can't be too far out. The Note was just released several days ago in the US.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Welcome and contrats on the (presumably) upcoming switch. Yeah, it's a great time to switch to Android. Nearly all of the past complaints people had (lag, lack of usability, number and quality of apps) have all been addressed.

ArousedSpoon

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all, I just got my HTC One today, and being new to android is there any must have apps? I was told something like AVG is required on Android, but never needed such thing on Windows Phone.

Just realized I should download the Android Central app of course!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all, I just got my HTC One today, and being new to android is there any must have apps? I was told something like AVG is required on Android, but never needed such thing on Windows Phone.

Some people think AVG or similar apps isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt to have it there.
And yes, AC apps should be a requirement. Lol...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I've never used an Anti-Virus on my phone and I don't plan to start anytime soon. It doesn't hurt to have it though but truthfully you most likely won't need it. Look at it this way - if you didn't need it with Microsoft why would you with Android?

And welcome!

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to AC! :) I just couldn't get in to Win8 on mobile, although I DO like it on my new hybrid laptop/tablet. Well it's growing on me anyways.

I can offer you some help on 3 recent Android models, the Note 2 (the 3 would be the one you would get), the Galaxy S4, and the HTC One. I loved all three phones for different reasons. I just LOVED the large screen on the note, BUT in the end decided to go to the smaller S4, which has GREAT software and features, like the wave gestures for example, the HTC One has the best build quality of the 3, that thing is a sleek tank, reminds me of my old BB 8700, except MUCH sexier, BUT in sturdiness level is where it resembles the 8700. In the end I am sticking with the HTC One, BUT I feel you would be ok with any of the three I mention, and of course IF you go Note, wait for the Note 3, UNLESS you catch a really good deal. :)

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Look at it this way - if you didn't need it with Microsoft why would you with Android?

Because all apps submitted to the Windows Phone store are reviewed by Microsoft (a la Apple iPhone) so the odds of malware being in the Windows Phone store are almost non existant. Software can also not be sideloaded without a developer unlock (which you have to buy, most Windows Phones cannot be jailbroken), so you don't need to worry about something installing without you realizing it. There are lots of things Android does better than Windows Phone, but ensuring you don't get a virus or malware is not one of them. Get educated before you try and bash or you'll just look dumb.

I do not run any anti-virus on my phone. People (including myself) used to swear you HAD to have a task killer if you had an Android phone. Turned out you were usually not getting any benefit, and were potentially making the situation you were trying to solve worse by using task killers, so now they are not recommended by anyone who knows what they are talking about. I highly suspect we will be saying the same thing about anti-virus on Android in the next year or so.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Because all apps submitted to the Windows Phone store are reviewed by Microsoft (a la Apple iPhone) so the odds of malware being in the Windows Phone store are almost non existant. Software can also not be sideloaded without a developer unlock (which you have to buy, most Windows Phones cannot be jailbroken), so you don't need to worry about something installing without you realizing it. There are lots of things Android does better than Windows Phone, but ensuring you don't get a virus or malware is not one of them. Get educated before you try and bash or you'll just look dumb.

I do not run any anti-virus on my phone. People (including myself) used to swear you HAD to have a task killer if you had an Android phone. Turned out you were usually not getting any benefit, and were potentially making the situation you were trying to solve worse by using task killers, so now they are not recommended by anyone who knows what they are talking about. I highly suspect we will be saying the same thing about anti-virus on Android in the next year or so.

I'll give you a thanks but that last part wasn't necessary. I have never had to run an antivirus on a phone yet. I didn't actually mean any harm to a Windows device but through text it may have been difficult/impossible to tell. You did mention that antivirus may soon be the next task killer though. I'd agree with that personally but some people live by the "better safe than sorry" idea which is okay. Although, antivirus will technically always be more useful since it provides peace of mind.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll give you a thanks but that last part wasn't necessary. I have never had to run an antivirus on a phone yet. I didn't actually mean any harm to a Windows device but through text it may have been difficult/impossible to tell. You did mention that antivirus may soon be the next task killer though. I'd agree with that personally but some people live by the "better safe than sorry" idea which is okay. Although, antivirus will technically always be more useful since it provides peace of mind.

I wasn't really trying to be rude or snarky, just honest. I do not think you are dumb, which is why you would want to avoid looking so.

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Note 3, Htc One, and the upcoming nexus 5.

Edit....
About the antivirus I've been on android for years never needed one. You won't find viruses in playstore... but adware is possible. Just read the reviews before download something.

Sent via Tapatalk 2