Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Newbie intro

Morning! I popped in here last week to try to figure out how to work my new phone. Loaded some apps.
    I work for the USPS and live in the western end of the Pocono mountains of PA. Almost heaven to me! The only way it would be better is if I could live on a lake where I could sail a Sunfish. The lake in the community I live in is too small. Since I moved in Feb 2013 I've been trying to hike and bike as much as possible. Unfortunately, an overuse injury currently has me sidelined.
    This is my first "smartphone". My Motorola flipphone died on me last month. And since I will now, in my new job, be doing some travelling I decided it was time to break into smartphone use in order to keep track of adverse weather conditions. I hadn't purchased a smartphone before this because of the expense of the plans that one was locked into for years. For me that just wasn't a smart choice. But when I had to look around for a new phone I looked at prepaid smartphones. Finally I settled on the Samsung Victory 4G LTE offered by VirginMobile on a low cost prepay plan. Which, I noticed, not too many people know about. It's not on the device search on this forum either. Frankly, there just weren't too many choices because of coverage issues in my neck of the woods. This one was the most advanced one in my price tag. Then it went on sale!! $50 less!!
    I'll need plenty of help trying to figure out these apps. Which of the stock Google and/or Samsung are worth keeping and which should be discarded. Can you delete some of the apps that come in their established group of apps without deleting the ones you want? Is there a better keyboard? The ones on the Google keyboard are just way too small. I'll listen to any advice I get.
    Well, that's it for now on the intro. I've got to call my insurance company to get some meds covered.
    Thanks!

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Newbie intro

Welcome to the forums!

You've come to the right place and we're glad to help. As far as deleting apps, well, you can't typically delete them without rooting your phone but you should be able to "disable" them to keep them from running and using your phones processor and RAM.
    Live long and prosper.

Global Posts
    13,794 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by AK in PA View Post
    Morning! I popped in here last week to try to figure out how to work my new phone. Loaded some apps.
    I work for the USPS and live in the western end of the Pocono mountains of PA. Almost heaven to me! The only way it would be better is if I could live on a lake where I could sail a Sunfish. The lake in the community I live in is too small. Since I moved in Feb 2013 I've been trying to hike and bike as much as possible. Unfortunately, an overuse injury currently has me sidelined.
    This is my first "smartphone". My Motorola flipphone died on me last month. And since I will now, in my new job, be doing some travelling I decided it was time to break into smartphone use in order to keep track of adverse weather conditions. I hadn't purchased a smartphone before this because of the expense of the plans that one was locked into for years. For me that just wasn't a smart choice. But when I had to look around for a new phone I looked at prepaid smartphones. Finally I settled on the Samsung Victory 4G LTE offered by VirginMobile on a low cost prepay plan. Which, I noticed, not too many people know about. It's not on the device search on this forum either. Frankly, there just weren't too many choices because of coverage issues in my neck of the woods. This one was the most advanced one in my price tag. Then it went on sale!! $50 less!!
    I'll need plenty of help trying to figure out these apps. Which of the stock Google and/or Samsung are worth keeping and which should be discarded. Can you delete some of the apps that come in their established group of apps without deleting the ones you want? Is there a better keyboard? The ones on the Google keyboard are just way too small. I'll listen to any advice I get.
    Well, that's it for now on the intro. I've got to call my insurance company to get some meds covered.
    Thanks!
    Welcome to the forums.
    As for keyboards, you are going to be restricted by your screen size. However, you can turn the phone 90 degrees and get a landscape board.
    As for disabling apps try this: [Guide] Disabling apps on Galaxy S3 and Tab 2...No root required

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Welcome! Have you found some useful apps yet? Here's a few I think are worth looking into:

for when you are out and about and want to see the total distance traveled.

Hope those are useful. Let us know if you have further questions.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Welcome to Android Central! These guys have already said what I was going to say ...

Posted via Android Central App

Hey guys I'm new here from Canada !

Global Posts
    13,794 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by thehabsonice View Post
    Hey guys I'm new here from Canada !
    Welcome to the forums.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

Hey, welcome to Android Central!

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Welcome to both of you, expecially AK, a fellow Pennsylvanian (live in Hershey now, but grew up near Warren, PA).
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Oooo! way to close to chocolate. I couldn't live there. But it's nice country!

Welcome to Android Central.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk Pro