Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dylanrod24
  • 1 Post By VDub2174
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Long time Apple fan looking to move...

I've been an iPhone and Mac user for the last 6 years (at home, I work with PC's and networks all day at work) but have grown weary of Apple and their controls so am looking to move to Android (and probably back to a PC and Windows as well).

I've been using an iPhone 4S for the last year or so and looking at the phones that are available at the moment the choice as I see it comes down to 3 options:

Galaxy S4 (which I can get for around $830 here in New Zealand)
    HTC One (around $840)
    Nexus 5 (who knows it's not been released here and the Nexus 4 doesn't seem to be around any more here)

In the eyes of those who have years of Android experience which phone would be the best choice?

The main use of the phone will be email (Gmail), phone calls, SMS, Viber, apps such as IMBD, and some light weight games such as 4 Pics 1 word, and some music, movies and TV (music and video will be from our iTunes library - until I replace our Apple TVs with Raspberry Pi's running XBMC and can use whatever format I like).

I'm looking forward to having widgets and being able to customise the phone in all the ways that I haven't been able to with the iPhone.

Any recommendations and guidance would be appreciated.

Default Re: Long time Apple fan looking to move...

I used to be an Apple fan and all I had were iPhone's until I switched to Android and I am glad I did the switch. I love Android. The HTC One and GS4 are great phones. The HTC One lacks in multi-tasking but not sure if that is a big deal for you. The GS4 is all around a great phone. I am not sure if the Galaxy Note 3 is available in New Zealand. If it is, the Note 3 is a great phone to look into too. Who knows when the Nexus 5 will be announced and released but you might want to wait for it. With the latest leak of the Nexus 5 on the Google Play Store, it is expected to be announced and released very soon but no one knows for sure what the released date is.
    Golfdriver97 and rayndog3 like this.

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGeek View Post
    I've been an iPhone and Mac user for the last 6 years (at home, I work with PC's and networks all day at work) but have grown weary of Apple and their controls so am looking to move to Android (and probably back to a PC and Windows as well).

I've been using an iPhone 4S for the last year or so and looking at the phones that are available at the moment the choice as I see it comes down to 3 options:

Galaxy S4 (which I can get for around $830 here in New Zealand)
    HTC One (around $840)
    Nexus 5 (who knows it's not been released here and the Nexus 4 doesn't seem to be around any more here)

In the eyes of those who have years of Android experience which phone would be the best choice?

The main use of the phone will be email (Gmail), phone calls, SMS, Viber, apps such as IMBD, and some light weight games such as 4 Pics 1 word, and some music, movies and TV (music and video will be from our iTunes library - until I replace our Apple TVs with Raspberry Pi's running XBMC and can use whatever format I like).

I'm looking forward to having widgets and being able to customise the phone in all the ways that I haven't been able to with the iPhone.

Any recommendations and guidance would be appreciated.
    The One and S4 are solid devices. You can even get Google editions of either that run vanilla Android. The Nexus is eagerly awaited, and hopefully will be released soon. As for your application needs, I think almost all of them are available in some way, shape or form.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    4,501 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Welcome to the forums!!

All devices listed are great in their own right. If you want a phone that gets quick updates (without having to root), go with the Nexus. I'm a Samsung fan myself though.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Welcome to Android Central!
    Live long and prosper.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Dabble in both camps. Biggest factor is how tied you are to Apple's services?

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Welcome to Android Central
    If you want something as simple or close to as simple as the iPhone I'd go for the Nexus, but since there's no info on when it's out in the U.S. I can't even guess when NZ will get it.

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Welcome, bang for buck I would go a nexus

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by App8ite View Post
    Dabble in both camps. Biggest factor is how tied you are to Apple's services?
    I used to be very wedded to iCloud for email, calendaring and contacts but moved everything to gmail a few weeks ago and have not had any issues.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Welcome to Android Central
    If you want something as simple or close to as simple as the iPhone I'd go for the Nexus, but since there's no info on when it's out in the U.S. I can't even guess when NZ will get it.

Simplicity isn't really a factor. I want something I can thoroughly customise to make it a myPhone rather than an iPhone. :-)

You can't be wrong with all of those phones you mentioned. You may want to check the galaxy note 3 thread.. it is also an awesome smartphone.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Simplicity isn't really a factor. I want something I can thoroughly customise to make it a myPhone rather than an iPhone. :-)
    That's the thing with Nexus devices, it can be really simple since it has no bloatware or useless features and it's easy to find anything you need, but you can customize a lot.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

It may be that the S4 is my best option as I really want a phone that I can add an SD Card for storage to and my understanding is that neither the HTC One or Nexus 5 have this facility.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

It may be that the S4 is my best option as I really want a phone that I can add an SD Card for storage to and my understanding is that neither the HTC One or Nexus 5 have this facility.
    They don't but they have 32GB of built-in storage whereas the GS4 has 16. If you're a gamer and don't keep too much music/pics on your phone 32GB should be enough to hold a few high-end games/apps that use lots of storage
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

They don't but they have 32GB of built-in storage whereas the GS4 has 16. If you're a gamer and don't keep too much music/pics on your phone 32GB should be enough to hold a few high-end games/apps that use lots of storage
    Good point I hadn't spotted that the memory on the HTC One was twice that of the S4. I had a look at an HTC some time ago and must admit that I was extremely impressed with it's build quality. Very tempting since an online retailer here in NZ has them on special this weekend for under $800

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Good point I hadn't spotted that the memory on the HTC One was twice that of the S4. I had a look at an HTC some time ago and must admit that I was extremely impressed with it's build quality. Very tempting since an online retailer here in NZ has them on special this weekend for under $800
    Damn, they're way cheaper here in the U.S...

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Most (if not all) things are much cheaper in the USA than here in New Zealand

Welcome

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Most (if not all) things are much cheaper in the USA than here in New Zealand
    The U.S. versions aren't compatible? You could buy one online and get it activated there?

The U.S. versions aren't compatible? You could buy one online and get it activated there?

It works out cheaper to be on a contract which they come 'free' with rather than to buy it outright. Its similar to where I am (Australia) your only have outright or free on a plan its their little tricks.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Got myself a 2013 Google Nexus 7 32GB today and I am loving it. I couldn't justify the cost of a new iPad, this was almost half the price and it performs wonderfully.

The screen is fabulous, it's nice and fast and 32GB should see me through without any issues.

I've been reading a few ebooks using Google Play Reader but would welcome recommendations on alternatives which don't rely on media in the cloud.

Who knows in a few months time I might decide that my next phone won't be an iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KiwiGeek; 11-17-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Not sure if you decided on a phone yet but I just made pretty much the same switch. Needed a new tablet with LTE for use on my commute and after iOS 7 was a bit fed up with my iphone.

Picked up both a nexux 5 and 7 recently. Few bumps here and there (I miss badged icons) but have been pretty happy with my nexus devices. So far have only found 1 app that there isn't an android version, or alternative, for (damn you nike!).

~JC

You have spend a long time with apple , now try android.....

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

welcome abroad my friends

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Carey View Post
    Not sure if you decided on a phone yet but I just made pretty much the same switch. Needed a new tablet with LTE for use on my commute and after iOS 7 was a bit fed up with my iphone.

Picked up both a nexux 5 and 7 recently. Few bumps here and there (I miss badged icons) but have been pretty happy with my nexus devices. So far have only found 1 app that there isn't an android version, or alternative, for (damn you nike!).

~JC
    Quote Originally Posted by vikramkyle View Post
    You have spend a long time with apple , now try android.....
    Welcome to the forums, both of you.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here