Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Cool Device Manager Policy

Hi, Everyone

Brand new to the Android community and have a question regarding Device Policy. Using a Samsung Model SCH-1605, Android V 4.1.2 which we want to introduce to our on site field reps.
    1) Lock application manager down for the field agent to manage applications
    2) Define policy hierarchy better. Want an Admin (full control) vs user (what we give them)
    3) Can we remove apps that are factory installed?
    I called Samsung Tech Support and they said I couldn't do any of this. Can anyone confirm? (My boss is gonna ask)

Global Posts
    19,899 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Device Manager Policy

Quote Originally Posted by George Hott View Post
    Hi, Everyone

Brand new to the Android community and have a question regarding Device Policy. Using a Samsung Model SCH-1605, Android V 4.1.2 which we want to introduce to our on site field reps.
    1) Lock application manager down for the field agent to manage applications
    2) Define policy hierarchy better. Want an Admin (full control) vs user (what we give them)
    3) Can we remove apps that are factory installed?
    I called Samsung Tech Support and they said I couldn't do any of this. Can anyone confirm? (My boss is gonna ask)
    Welcome to the forums.
    I need further elaboration...sorry I am a little tired:
    If I am understanding this correctly, say you buy a new phone out of the box, and give it to Employee X. You don't want Employee X to be able to delete Chrome (example) from the phone. You want it so George Hott can make these kind of changes, correct?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you for the Welcome!
    Exactly, what we are looking for. We can admin the phone remotely using the K3000 Mobile Management Appliance (Dell Software) but only so much. Unable to lock it down at the user level, apparently. For example, if I upload an application via K3000 then employee X can go to the phone, select settings>application manager and delete the app. We want to disable this ability at the device level.

We'd also like to know if there's a way to remove factory installed apps like "NFL Mobile" and such. If not, is there a way to create a folder, then move the undesired apps into it, hide the folder and even if Employee X stumbles upon it, lock it down via an admin password?

Thanks for the help on this!

Global Posts
    19,899 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by George Hott View Post
    Thank you for the Welcome!
    Exactly, what we are looking for. We can admin the phone remotely using the K3000 Mobile Management Appliance (Dell Software) but only so much. Unable to lock it down at the user level, apparently. For example, if I upload an application via K3000 then employee X can go to the phone, select settings>application manager and delete the app. We want to disable this ability at the device level.

We'd also like to know if there's a way to remove factory installed apps like "NFL Mobile" and such. If not, is there a way to create a folder, then move the undesired apps into it, hide the folder and even if Employee X stumbles upon it, lock it down via an admin password?

Thanks for the help on this!
    You can get an app called App lock in play that will pin or password protect applications (including App lock) from being either accessed or deleted. Settings is one of the possible protections.

As for deleting apps, you can't if they are carrier bloat, but you can disable most if not all of that with 4.1.
    This might help: [GUIDE] How to Disable Apps
    Or this: [Guide] Disabling apps on Galaxy S3 and Tab 2...No root required

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

great! thanks a ton for the advice. i'll look into your suggestions and see if that will take care of the requirements.

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Welcome to the forums!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Hi, All

Thanks for the help on disabling the apps. We'd like to apply some stricter guidelines by using File Hide Expert. I've downloaded the app and enabled it but for some reason unable to locate the folders I want to hide and then password protect. Any ideas? I've looked for a File Hide Expert manual but striking out. I'll keep hunting for an answer on my end.

Thanks again