Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hey All, i'm a possible iphone to Android convert

Hello

I've recently bought a couple of VERY cheap Android devices with the aim of developing my own realtime GPS tracker that I can use to track where my dogs are.

The main reason for this is that I recently lost them both at the summit of Snowdon and it took 4 days to get them both back. Thankfully they are safe and well!!

Default Re: Hey All, i'm a possible iphone to Android convert

Wow, it's good you got them back! As for the developing, I'm sure you'll find it much easier to develop for Android than for iOS (easier to get into your phone in any case hehe). That is one COOL application, BTW. Sort of like a LoJack for mutts :P

Welcome to Android Central. I'm glad to hear you were able to track down your dogs. Mans best friend indeed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I thought they already had relatively reasonable "lojacks" for dogs.

Welcome to Android Central! Keep in mind that with Android, you often get what you paid for, so if the devices you bought were dirt cheap, don't be too surprised if they're a little unreliable or not that powerful. If you want to get serious about developing for Android, I suggest you get at least a good midrange phone.

And hey, even if there are some decent Lojack-type products for pets, there's always room for competition, right?

Posted via Android Central App
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by GedByrne View Post
    Hello

I've recently bought a couple of VERY cheap Android devices with the aim of developing my own realtime GPS tracker that I can use to track where my dogs are.

The main reason for this is that I recently lost them both at the summit of Snowdon and it took 4 days to get them both back. Thankfully they are safe and well!!
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Your app sounds like a great idea, good luck! :thumbup:

Sent From My Galaxy Tab 3
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! Keep in mind that with Android, you often get what you paid for, so if the devices you bought were dirt cheap, don't be too surprised if they're a little unreliable or not that powerful. If you want to get serious about developing for Android, I suggest you get at least a good midrange phone.

And hey, even if there are some decent Lojack-type products for pets, there's always room for competition, right?

I'm thinking the monthly charges will make this not practical for a phone. What's the least expensive plan these days for an added phone.

Quote Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
    I'm thinking the monthly charges will make this not practical for a phone. What's the least expensive plan these days for an added phone.
    Not sure what you mean. I assume the OP wants to develop a tracking app for smartphones that can keep track of GPS transmitters that you can place on or in your dog (along the lines of the RFID microchips that are implanted). So what the dog owner would pay for would be the GPS transmitters, and assuming the owner already has a phone, he or she could simply install the tracking app.

STARGATE likes this.

Global Posts
    13,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Welcome to the forums.
    Glad you found your dogs. And I agree, competition is a good thing.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Or he'll give each dog a phone and have them share their location via Google+ and start updating their status. "Eating the neighbor's flowers" :P
    B. Diddy and STARGATE like this.

Global Posts
    13,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Or he'll give each dog a phone and have them share their location via Google+ and start updating their status. "Eating the neighbor's flowers" :P
    Lol!!!!

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

The dogs will start posting photos of KitKat bars next to Android devices, and funny cat videos.
    STARGATE and Golfdriver97 like this.

Global Posts
    4,500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Welcome to AC!!

Good luck with your app!
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

GPS burns through battery rather more quickly than you might want, especially if it's using satellite only at any sort of polling frequency. Depending on how you propose to transmit that information, you'd better hope your dogs never get out of cell phone range.

A good starting point for Android GPS development is already on Github:

That's another great thing about Android, so much of what you need is already available in github. I'd recommend you download IntelliJ's IDE to get the GPSLogger up and running immediately.

very interesting news.pleas explain what is version of your device. how can i collect it.

Yes android rocks I can't stand the ip now..

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Not sure what you mean. I assume the OP wants to develop a tracking app for smartphones that can keep track of GPS transmitters that you can place on or in your dog (along the lines of the RFID microchips that are implanted). So what the dog owner would pay for would be the GPS transmitters, and assuming the owner already has a phone, he or she could simply install the tracking app.

That's what I think. :thumbup:

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    This made me lmao! :thumbup:

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    That's what I think. :thumbup:
    I don't think that. :thumbdown:

While I would agree that makes the most sense, I don't get that from the OP. To me he is say he bought a couple of phones for his dogs and wants to have a phone on each of them.
    I'm not trying to figure out what makes the most sense from a development standpoint. I'm just trying to interpret the OP.
    If indeed he plans to proceed in the fashion you suggest then he wasn't very clear in his post which is the bottom line. I guess we'll wait for him to clarify.
    I do think what you all state makes the most sense.

You may be right, that may be how he wants to start off developing his idea. But my guess is that a fully realized system would involve only a GPS transmitter on the dog, not an entire smartphone.

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

OP? Where are thou?

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    OP? Where are thou?

He's looking for his dogs. :-D
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy and STARGATE like this.

Well actually no. That game is copyrighted property of the developer. If the developer wants to offer the game in the Android marketplace, that's the developer's decision.

Well honestly speaking there are many kinds of iPhone video converters which can help you solve it. You can google it for details, moreover I know a good one 4Media iPhone Max converter, this is super iPhone partner which can help you converter almost every iphone incompatible video or audio formats.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast