Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default tablet for dslr tethering

Not new to tablets, but to android.
    Had an iPad for years, but it has left me short in many ways, through the years. Connectivity as the biggest constraint.
    I want to thether my DSLR with a tablet on location. With iPad impossible, I mean wired.
    Do not want to go wireless, because that'll be too slow, relying on wifi.
    So I am searching a 7 or 8 inch android tablet which reliably does run the few apps for NIKON tethering, such as Helicon Remote and DSLR Dashboard. Would be very happy with more suggestions for apps.
    I think, in the last days, I have seen a 100 tablets in shops and a thousand more on the internet. It's a jungle. All I need is a simple but reliable small tablet to bring to the field. It might get dirty, so esthetics are of no meaning to me, price is! One thing very important is that it has a usb in and output, which I can use as on a desktop pc. I have been reading about USB HOST Support. Most tablets have it, some not and some need an extra app. Some owners only find out at home that it doesn't. And what is more important: memory, processor speed?
    Any suggestions for such a tablet?

Global Posts
    22,098 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: tablet for dslr tethering

Quote Originally Posted by butterflies55555 View Post
    Not new to tablets, but to android.
    Had an iPad for years, but it has left me short in many ways, through the years. Connectivity as the biggest constraint.
    I want to thether my DSLR with a tablet on location. With iPad impossible, I mean wired.
    Do not want to go wireless, because that'll be too slow, relying on wifi.
    So I am searching a 7 or 8 inch android tablet which reliably does run the few apps for NIKON tethering, such as Helicon Remote and DSLR Dashboard. Would be very happy with more suggestions for apps.
    I think, in the last days, I have seen a 100 tablets in shops and a thousand more on the internet. It's a jungle. All I need is a simple but reliable small tablet to bring to the field. It might get dirty, so esthetics are of no meaning to me, price is! One thing very important is that it has a usb in and output, which I can use as on a desktop pc. I have been reading about USB HOST Support. Most tablets have it, some not and some need an extra app. Some owners only find out at home that it doesn't. And what is more important: memory, processor speed?
    Any suggestions for such a tablet?
    Welcome to the forums.
    I am not aware of such a possibility myself, but I am not into taking photos. Have you asked the question in the Photographers forums?
    General Photography Lounge - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    8,898 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Welcome!

Is this something you are trying to achieve - Free open source tethering software for Nikon DSLR cameras | Nikon Rumors
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Digicamcontrol is not for android but for pc. You need a pc connection AND a wifi network to control witha tablet.

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Welcome to Android Central!
    Live long and prosper.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank you.
    I see now that there is a subforum about photography. Could this thread be moved there by a moderator?