Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default new to android central.

Hello, I joined here to get some info for my phone and to get some help. I have a Samsung galaxy s3, its been slow for a while and has had some other issues. I use this phone for just about everything so I would really like to get it running good again. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it, I just installed Lookout and it says everything is okay soooo.... I don't know. I was wondering about rooting my phone??

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: new to android central.

you should root it because you can overclock it aka speed up the CPU
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Okay awesome.... My phone just froze up on me again! I had to take the battery out just to get it to shut off. I'm super frustrated with this crap. Where should I go to get the step by step "how to" on the rooting thing so i dont screw my phone up even more?

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Whitney Victorine View Post
    Okay awesome.... My phone just froze up on me again! I had to take the battery out just to get it to shut off. I'm super frustrated with this crap. Where should I go to get the step by step "how to" on the rooting thing so i dont screw my phone up even more?

Welcome to the forums.
    Rooting shouldn't be necessary. You can try clearing cache in recovery first. Here is how: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Okay, I will give that a try and let you know how it goes. Thank you!

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Okay, I will give that a try and let you know how it goes. Thank you!

Cool. Just quote me. It will get my attention.
    It should work quite well. You have a few updates to the OS that are probably all interfering with everything. Clearing of the cache should help a lot.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Can you explain to me a little more about rooting a phone please? What exactly does it do?

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Okay. I just did the reboot and cleared the cache. I honestly dont see a difference considering as im typing my phone is sticking or hesitating. I still had some pop up ads when I turned it back on too......

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Can you explain to me a little more about rooting a phone please? What exactly does it do?

Rooting a phone grants superuser access to the phone. Similar to being a System Administrator on Windows PCs. Rooting allows you to make changed to your phone that the manufacturer typically doesn't want you to. This can be for good reason, as some things that can be done with root access can damage the phone. Overclocking the CPU like the other user suggested can potentially damage the device.

Okay. I just did the reboot and cleared the cache. I honestly dont see a difference considering as im typing my phone is sticking or hesitating. I still had some pop up ads when I turned it back on too......

Are you only seeing the lag (hesitating) when using the keyboard?

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Okay, good to know about the rooting, that's the info I was looking for. No, my phone seems to lag also when I try to launch a website or apps sometimes, its not doing it all the time. I do have a different keyboard installed that I am using, could that be my issue?

Sent from my SCH-R530M using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Okay, good to know about the rooting, that's the info I was looking for. No, my phone seems to lag also when I try to launch a website or apps sometimes, its not doing it all the time. I do have a different keyboard installed that I am using, could that be my issue?

The internet part may not be the phone but the connection speed. If you were to connect to a wifi hotspot, say Starbucks when it isn't busy, is it any better?

As for your other issues, the keyboard mainly, which one are you using?

There is one more thing to try. What you may be seeing is something in the RAM. Android like the RAM full, but if a good portion of your RAM is being occupied by apps you aren't using that isn't helping much at all either.
    Try this: [Guide] Disabling apps on Galaxy S3 and Tab 2...No root required
    Or this: [GUIDE] How to Disable Apps

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

To elaborate, these guides are for disabling apps. Now, what i would do is disable the ones you are sure you won't use, and disable ones that you can easily tell if they are not important. A good example is any computer (your phone included) does not need Yahoo! Finance to run. Disable that.

General rule of thumb, if it starts with .com, or has the Android guy as the app icon, leave it alone.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

The keyboard is called Go Keyboard, it was some free app i found. The wifi thing tho i couldn't tell you because im using my home wifi.

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

The keyboard is called Go Keyboard, it was some free app i found. The wifi thing tho i couldn't tell you because im using my home wifi.

Try Google keyboard. It is pretty light.

ffejjj likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Lol... so sorry to keep bumbarding you with questions but I have one more thing to ask about. I have an HP laptop and I have seen a few apps that pretty much say I can share files like music and photos between my HP and my phone and I see apps that should allow me to send photos to my wireless HP printer from my phone, I haven't been able to figure any of it out.... Any suggestions?

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Lol... so sorry to keep bumbarding you with questions but I have one more thing to ask about. I have an HP laptop and I have seen a few apps that pretty much say I can share files like music and photos between my HP and my phone and I see apps that should allow me to send photos to my wireless HP printer from my phone, I haven't been able to figure any of it out.... Any suggestions?

Lol...its ok. That is what the community is about.
    I am not totally sure. I would guess it is linked via Bluetooth. If so, you would need to make the PC and phone pair to each other, like you would a headset.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Do you happen to know how I would be able to do that?

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Do you happen to know how I would be able to do that?

Offhand, no. It may be a wireless connection too, but I haven't had a computer or accessory that can do that.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Okay! Thank you so much darlin, you have been such a big help!

WpMomma Samsung Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Okay! Thank you so much darlin, you have been such a big help!

WpMomma Samsung Galaxy S3
    No sweat. Let me know if the other keyboard fixes your issues.

Thanked by:
    Whitney Victorine likes this.

The Nexus 7 and other devices have the HP Print Service Plugin installed. Check your App Manager and see if it's there. Here's a support page describing what it is and how it can be used:

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    The Nexus 7 and other devices have the HP Print Service Plugin installed. Check your App Manager and see if it's there. Here's a support page describing what it is and how it can be used:

Thanks for the link...now how about a welcome for the lady too?

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Thanks for the link...now how about a welcome for the lady too?
    I just thought it would seem odd, coming so late to the party! Welcome to Android Central, Whitney!
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Swift keyboard or perfect keyboard pro are awesome but are not free . You have to beware of some of the free android apps they can bog your device down .

sent from the Alpha.. Note 3!
    Thanked by:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Thank you very much guys !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast