Belated intro - moving on from droid charge

Miamagn

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Posted a question on another thread awhile ago without first doing intro -- so sorry! I guess I've been lurking (sorry, again), but as a noob, been reticent about going public in this tech-savvy community.

Anyway, I've owned a Droid Charge for a little over 2 years. was my first smartphone. Everyone else I knew had apple phones. Am no techie, kinda on the older side, but was tired of dealing with itunes, have a pc, not a mac, so figured I'd try something different. Was very intrigued about using apps for music, fitness, productivity, etc.

My Charge has been so frustrating for the last 4 mos. -- randomly freezing, shutting down and restarting, unable to accommodate 2 apps at once (e.g., songza and runkeeper..., navigation and phone messages...) that the whole reason for having a smartphone is being negated. My daughter has a iphone 5, my son, a samsung gs4, my hubby, a galaxy nexus. -- that said, I'm the one user in the family that has pushed to get the most functionality out of their smartphone universe .
Am looking to move on, but have to pay full price, off-contract to keep unlimited data on Verizon. Am also on a family plan, so switching carriers (rest of family still on contract) not an option.

Looking for advice on new phone and my head is spinning because of commitment I will be making -- cost-wise and time-wise -- worried about ending up with wrong choice for me.
Want to keep to a phone not much bigger than the Charge (I thought that was HUGE at the time I first bought it), because I like using phone one-handed, expect to be able use for fitness (run/walk - with armband or in pocket). Have actually been considering iphone, but need more than 16gb (currently using sd card on Charge with >20gb of music), and cost is prohibitive, plus I don't think I could ever give up SWYPE at this point. Been seriously considering Moto X. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!! :D

Have you tried going to Swappa.com or eBay for a new phone? Might be less than getting one from a store.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Posted a question on another thread awhile ago without first doing intro -- so sorry! I guess I've been lurking (sorry, again), but as a noob, been reticent about going public in this tech-savvy community.

Anyway, I've owned a Droid Charge for a little over 2 years. was my first smartphone. Everyone else I knew had apple phones. Am no techie, kinda on the older side, but was tired of dealing with itunes, have a pc, not a mac, so figured I'd try something different. Was very intrigued about using apps for music, fitness, productivity, etc.

My Charge has been so frustrating for the last 4 mos. -- randomly freezing, shutting down and restarting, unable to accommodate 2 apps at once (e.g., songza and runkeeper..., navigation and phone messages...) that the whole reason for having a smartphone is being negated. My daughter has a iphone 5, my son, a samsung gs4, my hubby, a galaxy nexus. -- that said, I'm the one user in the family that has pushed to get the most functionality out of their smartphone universe .
Am looking to move on, but have to pay full price, off-contract to keep unlimited data on Verizon. Am also on a family plan, so switching carriers (rest of family still on contract) not an option.

Looking for advice on new phone and my head is spinning because of commitment I will be making -- cost-wise and time-wise -- worried about ending up with wrong choice for me.
Want to keep to a phone not much bigger than the Charge (I thought that was HUGE at the time I first bought it), because I like using phone one-handed, expect to be able use for fitness (run/walk - with armband or in pocket). Have actually been considering iphone, but need more than 16gb (currently using sd card on Charge with >20gb of music), and cost is prohibitive, plus I don't think I could ever give up SWYPE at this point. Been seriously considering Moto X. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forums.
I love the Moto X. One of the better phones I have had.
However, you can look this thread over: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=335111
[Christmas Guide] A Glimpse into the Ambassador devices

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! A few remarks:

1. For your Droid Charge, try doing a cache partition wipe. This clears the system data cache (which is different from the individual app caches), and can sometimes make the system work more smoothly. No personal data will be lost. To do it, follow the instructions from the second part of this article (the part where it talks about pressing certain buttons at the same time to bring up the Recovery Menu). Please remember to select "wipe cache partition," and not "wipe data." When the cache partition wipe is done, select "reboot system now."

Hard Reset - DROID CHARGE™ by SAMSUNG

2. Is there a crucial reason for you to keep unlimited data? Sure, it's nice and comforting to know that you don't have to worry at all about how much data you use in a month--but do you really need it? If no one in your family habitually streams music or videos, or downloads a lot of huge files from torrent sites, then chances are each of you uses about 1 GB of data/month on average (or less). A Share Everything plan that has about 4 GB data/month would probably be totally fine for your family and would allow you to upgrade your phone without having to break the bank by purchasing it at full retail price. The reality is that sooner or later, Verizon and all other wireless carriers will stop unlimited data plans, so you might as well get a nice phone now.

3. In terms of good phones, the Moto X is certainly one to consider. Also check out the Droid Mini, which has pretty much the same hardware and features as the X, with a few more goodies thrown in.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! It's never to late to introduce yourself! Follow the suggestions provided in the post above, should get you up and running again. Otherwise, consider an older new (does that make sense?) device as it could be purchased off contract and cheaper than a newer phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Android Deals

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Just moved over from my android to the new iphone, so I know how your feeling. Was a pain transfering all my info from my previous phone to this phone.

Miamagn

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestions. As far as data, I do stream a lot of music, and my son maxed out his 2gb limit a couple of times before the months end. He streams sports (i think... Or videos ...I probably should know what he's doing. :)). At home, where we are most, we use wifi, but we have relaitives 2 hours drive away, and often visit. The kids tend to use the data pretty quickly that way. I would like to stream music while I drive, and alsowhen I work out. Music is a big part of my life. My calculations for shared data tend closer to 8gb, which we may have to do eventually, i suspect.

You've given me some items both to work on now, and to contemplate for the future. Thanks again for the input.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestions. As far as data, I do stream a lot of music, and my son maxed out his 2gb limit a couple of times before the months end. He streams sports (i think... Or videos ...I probably should know what he's doing. :)). At home, where we are most, we use wifi, but we have relaitives 2 hours drive away, and often visit. The kids tend to use the data pretty quickly that way. I would like to stream music while I drive, and alsowhen I work out. Music is a big part of my life. My calculations for shared data tend closer to 8gb, which we may have to do eventually, i suspect.

You've given me some items both to work on now, and to contemplate for the future. Thanks again for the input.

I have Unlimited Data myself and can't imagine giving it up. Streaming music doesn't take up that much but when you stream for 7 hours and watch an hour of video a day it adds up. Every time I talk to Verizon they try and pull me off my plan to upgrade despite the fact my phone is only a few months old.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If you want a Moto X today's the day to try for it, $150 off full price on Moto Maker if you can get the coupon code. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca