Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By neonworm
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By mynameis
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default I'm back!

    Hey there guys and gals,

    I've been around the forums for a little bit but have yet to make my formal introduction. My name is Blake, and phones are my thing. I love new technology. The only thing is, I've been with an iPhone for sometime now. I had a an iPhone 4 and moved to the Optimus G, then traded that with an iPhone 5. Tomorrow I shall be getting a good ol Moto X. I know that the Moto X is for the "average joe" but I just love it. The size, screen, and features like active notifications have me hooked. It was that or the Nexus 5. I'm going with the X, and I'm sure I will love it.

    Anyway, I'm jumping back to Android because I need some customization in my life.

    So, hello all!

    How are you?


    Sent from my iPhone using
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis... View Post
    Hey there guys and gals,

    I've been around the forums for a little bit but have yet to make my formal introduction. My name is Blake, and phones are my thing. I love new technology. The only thing is, I've been with an iPhone for sometime now. I had a an iPhone 4 and moved to the Optimus G, then traded that with an iPhone 5. Tomorrow I shall be getting a good ol Moto X. I know that the Moto X is for the "average joe" but I just love it. The size, screen, and features like active notifications have me hooked. It was that or the Nexus 5. I'm going with the X, and I'm sure I will love it.

    Anyway, I'm jumping back to Android because I need some customization in my life.

    So, hello all!

    How are you?


    Sent from my iPhone using
    Welcome to the forums.

    From a Sprint Moto X
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm back!-1387602526470.jpg  

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

    From a Sprint Moto X
    I see that you have a moto x. How have you been liking it?


    Sent from my iPhone using
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis... View Post
    I see that you have a moto x. How have you been liking it?


    Sent from my iPhone using
    Blew my S3 out of the water. Now, mind you, my S3 was rooted, had an AOSP ROM, debloated, battery friendly kernel, and slightly overclocked.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Blew my S3 out of the water. Now, mind you, my S3 was rooted, had an AOSP ROM, debloated, battery friendly kernel, and slightly overclocked.
    To be honest with you, I don't really know what any of that means. I really want to learn about rooting and roms but don't exactly know where to start. I haven't rooted any of my old androids because I knew I didn't have a good knowledge of it and didn't want to brick my phones, haha. But feel free to go into detail, I will definitely read and learn. Or could you point me in a direction to learn about it? I know there are rooting threads on here and I'm sure I could find some information there.


    Sent from my iPhone using
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Blew my S3 out of the water. Now, mind you, my S3 was rooted, had an AOSP ROM, debloated, battery friendly kernel, and slightly overclocked.
    I've never really liked the galaxies to be honest. But I've heard good things about the Moto X. Extremely excited about getting my hands on it and tinkering around.


    Sent from my iPhone using
  7. #7  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis... View Post
    To be honest with you, I don't really know what any of that means. I really want to learn about rooting and roms but don't exactly know where to start. I haven't rooted any of my old androids because I knew I didn't have a good knowledge of it and didn't want to brick my phones, haha. But feel free to go into detail, I will definitely read and learn. Or could you point me in a direction to learn about it? I know there are rooting threads on here and I'm sure I could find some information there.


    Sent from my iPhone using
    Rooting is gaining the most supreme access to the OS, similar to System Administrator on a Windows PC. With root, you can make changes to your device that the OEM typically doesn't want you to have. Sometimes with good reason. A few wrong moves can damage the device.
    ROMs are a little more tricky. Flashing (installing) the incorrect ROM can render your device a brick. Never a good thing.
    That is the basics. Here is a little more info: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis... View Post
    I've never really liked the galaxies to be honest. But I've heard good things about the Moto X. Extremely excited about getting my hands on it and tinkering around.


    Sent from my iPhone using
    The Galaxy line overall, isn't bad. Samsung took a couple good steps with the 4, meaning offering a Google edition. But the fact of the matter is, Samsung's version of Android is getting fat, and needs to go on a diet of salads for about 2 years.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  8. #8  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: I'm back!

    The U.S. versions of the Galaxy line are pansies compared to the international ones.

    EDIT: The Galaxy S line and Note are what I was thinking of.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Rooting is gaining the most supreme access to the OS, similar to System Administrator on a Windows PC. With root, you can make changes to your device that the OEM typically doesn't want you to have. Sometimes with good reason. A few wrong moves can damage the device.
    ROMs are a little more tricky. Flashing (installing) the incorrect ROM can render your device a brick. Never a good thing.
    That is the basics. Here is a little more info: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central



    The Galaxy line overall, isn't bad. Samsung took a couple good steps with the 4, meaning offering a Google edition. But the fact of the matter is, Samsung's version of Android is getting fat, and needs to go on a diet of salads for about 2 years.
    I'll check that thread out, thank you.

    I've played around with an S3 and it was pretty quick and snappy, but Samsung uses TouchWiz, correct? Maybe that's HTC. But I'm pretty sure it's Samsung. The UI just never did it for me, to many little gimmicks that I would never use in the real world.

    Moving to the moto x, I really love the size. I'm coming from an iPhone, so it's a bit smaller than the top android out right now. But I like that. I enjoy have a nice fitting phone in my hand, and the Moto X offers that. Oh, and I heard that the S5 is to be coming out soon. I believe in the first quarter of the year, right?


    Sent from my iPhone using
  10. #10  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis... View Post
    I'll check that thread out, thank you.

    I've played around with an S3 and it was pretty quick and snappy, but Samsung uses TouchWiz, correct? Maybe that's HTC. But I'm pretty sure it's Samsung. The UI just never did it for me, to many little gimmicks that I would never use in the real world.

    Moving to the moto x, I really love the size. I'm coming from an iPhone, so it's a bit smaller than the top android out right now. But I like that. I enjoy have a nice fitting phone in my hand, and the Moto X offers that. Oh, and I heard that the S5 is to be coming out soon. I believe in the first quarter of the year, right?


    Sent from my iPhone using
    TouchWiz (aka TW)=Samsung...Sense=HTC
    That is why I had an AOSP ROM. AOSP is like Vanilla Android, so very similar to the Moto X.
    Yes, the current rumor (that I will only believe when it happens) is about April.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    TouchWiz (aka TW)=Samsung...Sense=HTC
    That is why I had an AOSP ROM. AOSP is like Vanilla Android, so very similar to the Moto X.
    Yes, the current rumor (that I will only believe when it happens) is about April.
    Ahah, so I was right. That's another reason I like the Moto X. I've heard that it's the closest thing to vanilla android. I was debating on the X or the Nexus 5. I know that the Nexus 5 is as vanilla as it gets (that kind of made me laugh). But I've heard that the Moto X is very close with the 4.4 update. They didn't throw in a whole layer on top of the stock UI, which I am glad to hear.


    Sent from my iPhone using
  12. #12  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis... View Post
    Ahah, so I was right. That's another reason I like the Moto X. I've heard that it's the closest thing to vanilla android. I was debating on the X or the Nexus 5. I know that the Nexus 5 is as vanilla as it gets (that kind of made me laugh). But I've heard that the Moto X is very close with the 4.4 update. They didn't throw in a whole layer on top of the stock UI, which I am glad to hear.


    Sent from my iPhone using
    It was close when it was released. Aside from a small amount of extras and extremely little bloat.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    It was close when it was released. Aside from a small amount of extras and extremely little bloat.
    It was released with Jellybean, wasn't it? Little bloat is a good thing.

    Oh, how's the battery? I've heard some say it's great and some say not so good. I heard that it has a "24 hour" battery. I don't know if I believe that it'll last 24 hours. I guess with minimal usage it could, but I use my phone frequently during the day with phone calls/SMS, Internet, social media etc. I just don't see it lasting a whole 24 hours with normal usage, let alone heavy.


    Sent from my iPhone using
  14. #14  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis... View Post
    It was released with Jellybean, wasn't it? Little bloat is a good thing.

    Oh, how's the battery? I've heard some say it's great and some say not so good. I heard that it has a "24 hour" battery. I don't know if I believe that it'll last 24 hours. I guess with minimal usage it could, but I use my phone frequently during the day with phone calls/SMS, Internet, social media etc. I just don't see it lasting a whole 24 hours with normal usage, let alone heavy.


    Sent from my iPhone using
    Use was a little light today. Busy at work.
    Yes released with 4.2.2
    From a Sprint Moto X
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm back!-1387606203556.jpg   I'm back!-1387606214124.jpg   I'm back!-1387606224088.jpg  

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Doesn't seem bad to me.

    On a side note, I like your battery indicator. Can you tweak things like that without rooting? Or are even rooted with your Moto X?


    Sent from my iPhone using
  16. #16  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis... View Post
    Doesn't seem bad to me.

    On a side note, I like your battery indicator. Can you tweak things like that without rooting? Or are even rooted with your Moto X?


    Sent from my iPhone using
    In the upper right? Yeah, that is a rooting thing.

    From a Sprint Moto X

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    In the upper right? Yeah, that is a rooting thing.

    From a Sprint Moto X
    Yes, up in the upper right.

    I'm definitely going to read up on rooting. I think I'll enjoy it.


    Sent from my iPhone using
  18. #18  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: I'm back!

    [Christmas Guide] A Glimpse into the Ambassador devices
    [Christmas Guide] A Glimpse into the Ambassador devices

    From a Sprint Moto X

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  19. #19  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Shed a little light on the Ambassador devices.

    From a Sprint Moto X

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  20. #20  

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Welcome back!
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    Welcome back!
    Thank you! I'm glad to be back.


    Sent from my iPhone using
  22. #22  

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Welcome back to Android! Not much else to say, since Golfdriver97 has said it all!
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: I'm back!

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome back to Android! Not much else to say, since Golfdriver97 has said it all!
    Yeah, he has been a really big help as I'm sure a lot of you guys are. Thank you!


    Sent from my iPhone using
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Phone in back pocket
    By johnnyshinta in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 02:03 PM
  2. [Free] Tic Tac Toe Back to School
    By KotoGames in forum Android App Inventor
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 11:44 PM
  3. SwiftKey reverting back to Google keyboard
    By flydi379 in forum Moto X
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 11:51 AM
  4. can I get copied files from my PC back to my phone?
    By s4idiot in forum Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 11:22 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2013, 12:50 PM

Posting Permissions

B