Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By neonworm
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By mynameis
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I'm back!

Hey there guys and gals,

I've been around the forums for a little bit but have yet to make my formal introduction. My name is Blake, and phones are my thing. I love new technology. The only thing is, I've been with an iPhone for sometime now. I had a an iPhone 4 and moved to the Optimus G, then traded that with an iPhone 5. Tomorrow I shall be getting a good ol Moto X. I know that the Moto X is for the "average joe" but I just love it. The size, screen, and features like active notifications have me hooked. It was that or the Nexus 5. I'm going with the X, and I'm sure I will love it.

Anyway, I'm jumping back to Android because I need some customization in my life.

So, hello all!

How are you?

Sent from my iPhone using

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: I'm back!

Quote Originally Posted by mynameis... View Post
    Hey there guys and gals,

I've been around the forums for a little bit but have yet to make my formal introduction. My name is Blake, and phones are my thing. I love new technology. The only thing is, I've been with an iPhone for sometime now. I had a an iPhone 4 and moved to the Optimus G, then traded that with an iPhone 5. Tomorrow I shall be getting a good ol Moto X. I know that the Moto X is for the "average joe" but I just love it. The size, screen, and features like active notifications have me hooked. It was that or the Nexus 5. I'm going with the X, and I'm sure I will love it.

Anyway, I'm jumping back to Android because I need some customization in my life.

So, hello all!

How are you?

Welcome to the forums.

From a Sprint Moto X
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm back!-1387602526470.jpg  

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

From a Sprint Moto X
    I see that you have a moto x. How have you been liking it?

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I see that you have a moto x. How have you been liking it?

Blew my S3 out of the water. Now, mind you, my S3 was rooted, had an AOSP ROM, debloated, battery friendly kernel, and slightly overclocked.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Blew my S3 out of the water. Now, mind you, my S3 was rooted, had an AOSP ROM, debloated, battery friendly kernel, and slightly overclocked.
    To be honest with you, I don't really know what any of that means. I really want to learn about rooting and roms but don't exactly know where to start. I haven't rooted any of my old androids because I knew I didn't have a good knowledge of it and didn't want to brick my phones, haha. But feel free to go into detail, I will definitely read and learn. Or could you point me in a direction to learn about it? I know there are rooting threads on here and I'm sure I could find some information there.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I've never really liked the galaxies to be honest. But I've heard good things about the Moto X. Extremely excited about getting my hands on it and tinkering around.

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

To be honest with you, I don't really know what any of that means. I really want to learn about rooting and roms but don't exactly know where to start. I haven't rooted any of my old androids because I knew I didn't have a good knowledge of it and didn't want to brick my phones, haha. But feel free to go into detail, I will definitely read and learn. Or could you point me in a direction to learn about it? I know there are rooting threads on here and I'm sure I could find some information there.

Rooting is gaining the most supreme access to the OS, similar to System Administrator on a Windows PC. With root, you can make changes to your device that the OEM typically doesn't want you to have. Sometimes with good reason. A few wrong moves can damage the device.
    ROMs are a little more tricky. Flashing (installing) the incorrect ROM can render your device a brick. Never a good thing.
    That is the basics. Here is a little more info: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

I've never really liked the galaxies to be honest. But I've heard good things about the Moto X. Extremely excited about getting my hands on it and tinkering around.

The Galaxy line overall, isn't bad. Samsung took a couple good steps with the 4, meaning offering a Google edition. But the fact of the matter is, Samsung's version of Android is getting fat, and needs to go on a diet of salads for about 2 years.

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

The U.S. versions of the Galaxy line are pansies compared to the international ones.

EDIT: The Galaxy S line and Note are what I was thinking of.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Rooting is gaining the most supreme access to the OS, similar to System Administrator on a Windows PC. With root, you can make changes to your device that the OEM typically doesn't want you to have. Sometimes with good reason. A few wrong moves can damage the device.
    ROMs are a little more tricky. Flashing (installing) the incorrect ROM can render your device a brick. Never a good thing.
    That is the basics. Here is a little more info: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

The Galaxy line overall, isn't bad. Samsung took a couple good steps with the 4, meaning offering a Google edition. But the fact of the matter is, Samsung's version of Android is getting fat, and needs to go on a diet of salads for about 2 years.
    I'll check that thread out, thank you.

I've played around with an S3 and it was pretty quick and snappy, but Samsung uses TouchWiz, correct? Maybe that's HTC. But I'm pretty sure it's Samsung. The UI just never did it for me, to many little gimmicks that I would never use in the real world.

Moving to the moto x, I really love the size. I'm coming from an iPhone, so it's a bit smaller than the top android out right now. But I like that. I enjoy have a nice fitting phone in my hand, and the Moto X offers that. Oh, and I heard that the S5 is to be coming out soon. I believe in the first quarter of the year, right?

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I'll check that thread out, thank you.

I've played around with an S3 and it was pretty quick and snappy, but Samsung uses TouchWiz, correct? Maybe that's HTC. But I'm pretty sure it's Samsung. The UI just never did it for me, to many little gimmicks that I would never use in the real world.

Moving to the moto x, I really love the size. I'm coming from an iPhone, so it's a bit smaller than the top android out right now. But I like that. I enjoy have a nice fitting phone in my hand, and the Moto X offers that. Oh, and I heard that the S5 is to be coming out soon. I believe in the first quarter of the year, right?

TouchWiz (aka TW)=Samsung...Sense=HTC
    That is why I had an AOSP ROM. AOSP is like Vanilla Android, so very similar to the Moto X.
    Yes, the current rumor (that I will only believe when it happens) is about April.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

TouchWiz (aka TW)=Samsung...Sense=HTC
    That is why I had an AOSP ROM. AOSP is like Vanilla Android, so very similar to the Moto X.
    Yes, the current rumor (that I will only believe when it happens) is about April.
    Ahah, so I was right. That's another reason I like the Moto X. I've heard that it's the closest thing to vanilla android. I was debating on the X or the Nexus 5. I know that the Nexus 5 is as vanilla as it gets (that kind of made me laugh). But I've heard that the Moto X is very close with the 4.4 update. They didn't throw in a whole layer on top of the stock UI, which I am glad to hear.

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Ahah, so I was right. That's another reason I like the Moto X. I've heard that it's the closest thing to vanilla android. I was debating on the X or the Nexus 5. I know that the Nexus 5 is as vanilla as it gets (that kind of made me laugh). But I've heard that the Moto X is very close with the 4.4 update. They didn't throw in a whole layer on top of the stock UI, which I am glad to hear.

It was close when it was released. Aside from a small amount of extras and extremely little bloat.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

It was close when it was released. Aside from a small amount of extras and extremely little bloat.
    It was released with Jellybean, wasn't it? Little bloat is a good thing.

Oh, how's the battery? I've heard some say it's great and some say not so good. I heard that it has a "24 hour" battery. I don't know if I believe that it'll last 24 hours. I guess with minimal usage it could, but I use my phone frequently during the day with phone calls/SMS, Internet, social media etc. I just don't see it lasting a whole 24 hours with normal usage, let alone heavy.

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

It was released with Jellybean, wasn't it? Little bloat is a good thing.

Oh, how's the battery? I've heard some say it's great and some say not so good. I heard that it has a "24 hour" battery. I don't know if I believe that it'll last 24 hours. I guess with minimal usage it could, but I use my phone frequently during the day with phone calls/SMS, Internet, social media etc. I just don't see it lasting a whole 24 hours with normal usage, let alone heavy.

Use was a little light today. Busy at work.
    Yes released with 4.2.2
    From a Sprint Moto X
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm back!-1387606203556.jpg   I'm back!-1387606214124.jpg   I'm back!-1387606224088.jpg  

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Doesn't seem bad to me.

On a side note, I like your battery indicator. Can you tweak things like that without rooting? Or are even rooted with your Moto X?

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Doesn't seem bad to me.

On a side note, I like your battery indicator. Can you tweak things like that without rooting? Or are even rooted with your Moto X?

In the upper right? Yeah, that is a rooting thing.

From a Sprint Moto X

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

In the upper right? Yeah, that is a rooting thing.

From a Sprint Moto X
    Yes, up in the upper right.

I'm definitely going to read up on rooting. I think I'll enjoy it.

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

[Christmas Guide] A Glimpse into the Ambassador devices
    [Christmas Guide] A Glimpse into the Ambassador devices

From a Sprint Moto X

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Shed a little light on the Ambassador devices.

From a Sprint Moto X

Welcome back!
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    Welcome back!
    Thank you! I'm glad to be back.

Welcome back to Android! Not much else to say, since Golfdriver97 has said it all!
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome back to Android! Not much else to say, since Golfdriver97 has said it all!
    Yeah, he has been a really big help as I'm sure a lot of you guys are. Thank you!

Golfdriver97 likes this.