Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By joe_fresh
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New Droid User: lost in a land of confusion...

Hello all,

OK, I'm not completely lost, maybe vexed is more accurate.

I received a Samsung SCH-S738C for xmas (Tracfone) (it was a QVC deal, 3x minutes for life of phone). And there are several things that have got me puzzled.

1- What 'make' is this phone. I recieved a voucher for free customized case from usprinterpix dot com. My choices are S3 and S4. (I guess its a Galaxy Centura if that helps)
    But I can't find anything anywhere that tells me which one I have (if it is one of these).

2- My clock tends to set itself to weird times (last night at 10 it decided it was 3:00) I have it set to mountain time but it still resets occassionally.

3- Couldn't find my balance but now I see that I had to DL an app. nevermind

======
    I guess that's it for now, anything else important I need to know?

Global Posts
    1,622 Global Posts
    Carrier
    HTC One stock

Default Re: New Droid User : lost in a land of confusion...

Turn off automatic time zone in the same place you set your time zone before.
    Jay_Adams likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

thnx Joe,

Will try it.

Another Q, forum related.

Can't find how to change the phone I have now from sign up. I just put S3 but can't change it now

Welcome to Android Central!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Adams View Post
    1- What 'make' is this phone. I recieved a voucher for free customized case from usprinterpix dot com. My choices are S3 and S4. (I guess its a Galaxy Centura if that helps)
    You are correct, your phone is the Galaxy Centura. I doubt a case made for the S3 or S4 will fit your phone. Was your free case supposed to match the phone you got?

2- My clock tends to set itself to weird times (last night at 10 it decided it was 3:00) I have it set to mountain time but it still resets occassionally.
    Go to Settings>Date & time, and make sure both "Automatic date & time" and "Automatic time zone" are checked. The first option pulls the correct time from the web (based on Greenwich Mean Time), while the second option chooses the correct time zone based on the cell signal.
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/P3S6fTo.png[/IMG]
    srkmagnus and Jay_Adams like this.

Can't find how to change the phone I have now from sign up
    It's probably easiest to do this from the website on a computer. Under your username right next to your avatar, click on Settings, then Edit Profile. You can find the section there to edit your phone.

You might find this guide helpful: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...14-part-i.html
    Jay_Adams likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks B.Diddy,

Well, the free case offer was just a 'blanket' offer I guess. Also have the choice of a leather wrapped book or printed canvas.

Seems the phone must be a pretty new model, I haven't found cases for it anywhere on the web, much less that site. In fact when I went to change my phone on this forum (thnx for help) it is not in the list.

It's a 'cheap' phone I guess, around the hundred dollar range so probably lower on the list as far as custom stuff goes, but that's cool. Much better than the old hand me down I had before. It'll probably be used most just for listening to Pandora at work, lol.

I've done some work with Unity before too so I'll probably try my hand at a few simple game apps too now that I can test them.

The Centura isn't new--it was released in 5/2013. Its just that there unfortunately aren't going to be a lot of accessories for the lower-end phones, because there are so many more varieties of them. It probably isn't worth it for companies to design cases for them.

Global Posts
    13,568 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Welcome to the forums! B. Diddy has got you off to a great start. Have fun on the forums and feel free to ask questions should you have any.

Global Posts
    32,246 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Welcome to the forums

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Seems the phone must be a pretty new model, I haven't found cases for it anywhere on the web, much less that site. In fact when I went to change my phone on this forum (thnx for help) it is not in the list.
    I have the same phone and found plenty of cases on Amazon. Just search for "Galaxy Centura case" I got soft gel cases for both me and my wife for $7 each.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    9,179 Global Posts
    Carrier
    None

Welcome to the forums! 😀

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    [I][B][U]If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart![/U][/B][/I]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: New Droid User: lost in a land of confusion...

I have a Samsung Galaxy Centura. I downloaded an app yesterday and on this app has funny sounds and also said I could turn them into ringtones. I did a few. Well now they will not play all it does is vibrate. I do have the ringer up as loud it will go. So I went back and put one of the ringtones that came with the phone on there. And now that will not play. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm still learning about androids too.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    32,246 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Julia Williams View Post
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Centura. I downloaded an app yesterday and on this app has funny sounds and also said I could turn them into ringtones. I did a few. Well now they will not play all it does is vibrate. I do have the ringer up as loud it will go. So I went back and put one of the ringtones that came with the phone on there. And now that will not play. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm still learning about androids too.

Welcome to the forums. Have you tried uninstalling the app and seeing if that brings everything back to normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Have you tried uninstalling the app and seeing if that brings everything back to normal?

No I have not. I will do it now.

It did not work. I also put it back on a factory ringtone it's not working.

Go to Settings>Sound, and make sure the Ringtone is actually set to the one you want. Try selecting different ringtones that came with the phone--does it play them for you as a sample when you select them?

Also make sure your phone isn't on Vibrate mode. You an usually check that by pressing the holding the Power button for about a second until an option box appears on the screen.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.