Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dstackmasta27
  • 1 Post By dstackmasta27
  • 2 Post By dstackmasta27
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hello Android Central Community!

I'm a newbie to the forums, and as recommended by Mr. Streater , I would love to introduce myself and give a little background.

My journey with smart phones began a number of years ago with the Palm 700p. I then enjoyed an HTC Hero with Android 1.6 (later updated to 2.3 which basically ruined the phone). In 2012 I moved to an iPhone 4S, which I loved as the best phone/mobile device I had ever owned. That continued up to the point when I updated to iOS 7, which I liked almost nothing about. Because of the failure that I felt was iOS 7, when it was time to upgrade my device (which I also switched carriers too) I started putting serious consideration into giving Android another shot.

I didn't dislike it the first time, but as my device aged the functionality also degraded to the point where it was almost unusable by the time I was ready to upgrade. I didn't experience such degraded functionality or performance in my iPhone, which was one of the things I loved so much about it--the hardware was completely solid for the two year cycle that we revolve our phones around.

To prepare myself for the trip to get a new phone and carrier, I started reading about the various "hot" phones in the market and narrowed my selection down to three: HTCs One, LGs G2, and the iPhone 5S. I went around to the store about a week before Christmas, which worked perfectly for me because it took me almost the entire wait time to decide on a phone as I walked back and forth holding, examining, and testing the functionality of all the devices. In the end I picked the LG G2, I liked a lot of things about it, and in the end if I ended up hating it I could return to the store and swap it with the iPhone for a $35 restock fee (plus the difference in phone cost).

I've worked on being patient throughout this period (since the 18th of Dec), and while I really like my phone in many ways, there are just some things that I either cannot stand or am irritated by. I'm starting to get near my last day to decide, and I haven't been overwhelmingly successful in my attempts to figure out some of my perceived "deal-breakers", so I turn to the community for advice and help. I am more tech-savvy than I was when I had my last Android, so I am not opposed to changing things at a more complicated level. I just need to get an idea if what I'm hoping to accomplish is even possible, or if I'm chasing dreams.

Experienced members, if I am only supposed to introduce myself here and not the issues I apologize in advance. Just let me know and I'll edit this post to remove it all.

Now onto the fun parts. In short order here are the things that are making me want to take the G2 back for the iPhone. They are loosely listed in order of frustration and how much it matters to me overall:

- Visual voicemail doesn't work as it should with Google voice. Apparently Verizon is money hungry (like we already know) and makes getting it completely functional a giant pain, or maybe even impossible. I have it almost right, but the play from dialer function doesn't work. I don't feel particularly comfortable allowing a 3rd party app to replace this service for me, and I refuse to pay Verizon 2.99 a month for something that Google gives for free.

- The email app/client issue. Why in the hell they have the stock email app strip out CSS, I just don't understand. No one wants to have to resize their email to read it. Of course there are plenty of other third party email apps, but none of them say that they present emails like you are on, you know, a mobile device. None of the reviews mention it either. It seems that the only way that I can know is to try them each one at a time until I find the one that doesn't present the email poorly. Does anyone have suggestions?

- I hated that there wasn't a one-touch silence like the iPhone has. I really really like having the ability to silence my phone without having to mess with it. I have found a close second after playing around with the phone for a while that works okay, although it still isn't great. From the lock screen I can hold the power button until a "power off" menu pops up, then if I release the power button and then repress it, a menu comes up that has the sound/vibrate/silent buttons. I tried to find how to add additional widgets to the lock screen, but it looks like there are only certain ones that are possible to add to that area. Is there any other options to put my phone into quiet mode that doesn't require me to perform so many steps?

- It appears that the stock messaging app cannot support a conversation between 4 participants particularly well. Every so often incoming messages go to the individual contact's bin instead of the group text. It seems like it gets dorked up on the outgoing every so often too. (initial investigation hasn't show any strong contenders for a valid replacement, or even what is causing the problem. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

- Lastly the Spotify app doesn't send track data via BT streaming. There are details that I won't quote exactly right but the gist is that they didn't build their app to support it because stock Android doesn't provide it, even though most manufacturers or providers add it in (the "it" being AVRCP 1.3). There are some .that I've found that I could replace my "official" Spotify app with, but again I find myself being irritated that is necessary.

To the security conscious users I am curious if there are any other things I should enable or change on my device. I have set up the lock screen, encrypted the phone, enabled administrator from my email and the android device manager. There seem to be several different unnecessary apps and bloatware things on the device, and I know that I can't get rid of them without rooting, but is there a good place to get a list of things that you can/should remove and then a list of things that you cannot/should not remove? If/when I decide to root my phone I want to make sure I don't make a whole mess of work for myself to correct my mistakes.

In the end I really do think that it is fantastic that there are so many things that can be changed with the phone. The screen is amazing, and the battery life is pretty darned good too. But in the end if I have to devote half my contracted time to just setting the dang thing up how it should work from the beginning, then I question how good the customization aspect really is. I think that a considerable amount of time was just me getting accustomed to the differences in how iOS and Android work, so I am still on the fence. I like the phone but I still can't decide if it is the "right" one for me.

If you've stayed with my post this long -- Thank You! I'm sure some of it was painful to read through. I look forward to playing more in the forums and getting to know you wonderful people.

Thanks for your time
    D
    Last edited by dstackmasta27; 01-11-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Looks like my first source was wrong. My Hero had 1.6 it seems.

Default Re: Hello Android Central Community!

I think the iphones are ideal for young adults that grew up with ipods and itouches and are familiar with the apple ecosystem and older guys like me that are not interested in the customization afforded by android. I am sorry you did not choose the Droid Maxx, I think you would have enjoyed the voice activation and notification features… as well as the unkillable battery and wireless charging.
    The beauty of choice and options are that you have them. You sound like you would be happier with an iphone… why fight it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Welcome to Android Central! I don't have many answers for you, but I can suggest Power Toggles as a possible solution for silencing the phone from the lockscreen. You can place a customized toggle bar on your lockscreen that includes a silence toggle.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Sacks View Post
    I think the iphones are ideal for young adults that grew up with ipods and itouches and are familiar with the apple ecosystem and older guys like me that are not interested in the customization afforded by android. I am sorry you did not choose the Droid Maxx, I think you would have enjoyed the voice activation and notification features… as well as the unkillable battery and wireless charging.
    The beauty of choice and options are that you have them. You sound like you would be happier with an iphone… why fight it.

I'm not sure if you were being rhetorical, but in case you weren't I'll answer because there are a few reasons honestly. Firstly I understand that Android is capable of many fantastical things. It just is...trying to find it all, particularly if you are transitioning from an OS with a lower learning curve. Next I loved iOS 5. liked iOS 6 a little less, and liked iOS 7 least of all (really the *only* feature that was neat to me was the easy access menu that swipes up from the bottom...which was probably copied from a combination of jailbreak software and Android. I also haven't given Android a serious good hard look since gingerbread, that is a long time ago regarding technological progress and advancements. Like I said above, I feel a bit more tech savvy, and can see a good number of things I can do for fun on Android, but I want the experience to provide certain things--like the items I mentioned in my initial post. Lastly, why not try something new? I don't really have allegiance to any manufacturer or anything so if there is a superior product in the market I'm game to try it--especially if the holiday shopping return policy gives me a whole month to test drive .

My wife switched from her 4S to a Maxx, and she likes it quite a lot. The battery on the G2 is pretty solid though. I could get through the better parts of two to three days of typical use on a single charge. Something that is basically impossible on an iPhone. There was a time when the i-devices had a superior battery, but it seems like those days are long past. The Verizon G2 has wireless charging support as well, but I don't have a mat or anything yet...I'm still thinking about that but it does look neat.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! I don't have many answers for you, but I can suggest Power Toggles as a possible solution for silencing the phone from the lockscreen. You can place a customized toggle bar on your lockscreen that includes a silence toggle.

Posted via Android Central App
    Love the Crow avatar , I'll play around with that app to see how it works out. Thank you for the welcome and the recommendation!
    B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dstackmasta27 View Post
    I'm not sure if you were being rhetorical, but in case you weren't I'll answer because there are a few reasons honestly. Firstly I understand that Android is capable of many fantastical things. It just is...trying to find it all, particularly if you are transitioning from an OS with a lower learning curve. Next I loved iOS 5. liked iOS 6 a little less, and liked iOS 7 least of all (really the *only* feature that was neat to me was the easy access menu that swipes up from the bottom...which was probably copied from a combination of jailbreak software and Android. I also haven't given Android a serious good hard look since gingerbread, that is a long time ago regarding technological progress and advancements. Like I said above, I feel a bit more tech savvy, and can see a good number of things I can do for fun on Android, but I want the experience to provide certain things--like the items I mentioned in my initial post. Lastly, why not try something new? I don't really have allegiance to any manufacturer or anything so if there is a superior product in the market I'm game to try it--especially if the holiday shopping return policy gives me a whole month to test drive .

My wife switched from her 4S to a Maxx, and she likes it quite a lot. The battery on the G2 is pretty solid though. I could get through the better parts of two to three days of typical use on a single charge. Something that is basically impossible on an iPhone. There was a time when the i-devices had a superior battery, but it seems like those days are long past. The Verizon G2 has wireless charging support as well, but I don't have a mat or anything yet...I'm still thinking about that but it does look neat.

Love the Crow avatar , I'll play around with that app to see how it works out. Thank you for the welcome and the recommendation!

Not at all and welcome to the forum. It was just such a well written piece and I felt you were maybe searching a bit hard to find a reason to stay with your G2. In the end the best device is the one that works for you.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Welcome to the forums!

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello Android Central Community!-1389504544862.jpg  

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

Welcome to Android Central!

Sent from my out-of-this-world Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    897 Global Posts

Welcome to the AC forums, dstack
    My Devices: Primary / Tablet: Moto X / iPad Mini (1st Gen)
    Personal Blog: http://www.mydailydoseblog.com
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Bump it up. Does anyone have some insight to the issues I am trying to work through?

B. Diddy, spot on suggestion. That is exactly what I needed! Doesn't seem to expose me to any risks either as there are several toggles that require passcode entry to change. Sweet!
    B. Diddy likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Is there maybe another forum I can try? I am still looking for solutions to everything but the quick silence issue. I'll pretty much have to have my mind made up by tomorrow

I think you might get more response if you start a new thread with your questions. As it is, people will see the title of this thread as simply "Hello Android Central Community," and won't necessarily know that there are detailed questions like yours mixed in. I suggest posting your questions again as a new thread in this subforum: General Help and How To - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I think you might get more response if you start a new thread with your questions. As it is, people will see the title of this thread as simply "Hello Android Central Community," and won't necessarily know that there are detailed questions like yours mixed in. I suggest posting your questions again as a new thread in this subforum: General Help and How To - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    Thanks B. Diddy, I tried posting to the VZW G2 forum...but there are more lurkers than posters :-/. I'll give the recommended forum a try.

Thanks again for being awesome!
    B. Diddy and Golfdriver97 like this.

Welcome to AC!

Enjoy the forums

Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central