Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By HarisA1
  • 3 Post By wizzrah
  • 3 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By HarisA1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Default Came from Windows Phone

Windows Phone stopped working 2 days ago (HTC HD7) it was an okay experience I guess. I cannot fully judge because I didn't have the latest phone or windows phone version 8. Was an okay experience, I guess. Lacking official apps - but devs on WP are great they always deliver with the unofficial apps can't complain too much. But other than that there was no notification center (it was supposedly coming in the 8.1 update) and the new apps didn't come on time or sometimes not at all. Well you get the picture - standard windows phone complaints. Just ordered the nexus 4 to get the taste of android and if I enjoy it I will upgrade to a new phone next year (if needed) What do you guys suggest for me as a new user to Android. Also as the Nexus is a vanilla Android experience should I add a custom ROM? Maybe cyan? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Global Posts
    4,318 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: Came from Windows Phone

Quote Originally Posted by HarisA1 View Post
    Windows Phone stopped working 2 days ago (HTC HD7) it was an okay experience I guess. I cannot fully judge because I didn't have the latest phone or windows phone version 8. Was an okay experience, I guess. Lacking official apps - but devs on WP are great they always deliver with the unofficial apps can't complain too much. But other than that there was no notification center (it was supposedly coming in the 8.1 update) and the new apps didn't come on time or sometimes not at all. Well you get the picture - standard windows phone complaints. Just ordered the nexus 4 to get the taste of android and if I enjoy it I will upgrade to a new phone next year (if needed) What do you guys suggest for me as a new user to Android. Also as the Nexus is a vanilla Android experience should I add a custom ROM? Maybe cyan? Any suggestions? Thanks!
    The stock rom is pretty good. Don't root and flash a rom unless you absolutely feel like you just HAVE to and you better make sure you research things before attempting to.

I also save this app list as people ask this a lot. It is a common question (What should I try out?)

While I post this list a lot, it's generally because it's a pretty good app list to get you started.

Good apps to get:

Games:
    Flow Free

GT Racing 2

Jetpack Joyride

Unblock Me

Air Control

Browsers:
    Boat Browser

One Browser

Opera Browser

Mozilla Firefox

Email:
    Aquamail

Maildroid

Useful Apps:
    ES File Explorer (Best file manager Highly recommend)

MX Player (Best video player Highly Recommend)

Dictionary.com app (This comes in handy once in a while)

DoubleTwist Music Player (Pretty nice music player)

Google Translate (Comes in handy once in a while)

Kingsoft Office (Free Word, Excel, Powerpoint Editor)

Mobi Calculator (Advanced Scientific Calculator)

Songza (Pretty cool music app)
    Last edited by wizzrah; 01-19-2014 at 08:38 PM.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Welcome to Android Central! May I suggest this guide as a starting point: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...14-part-i.html

Rooting and installing a custom ROM is something I'd suggest holding off on for now--see how you like what KitKat has to offer. If you don't like it that much, you could always install a 3rd party launcher to change the look of the interface (like Nova Launcher or Action Launcher). Make sure you feel comfortable with Android before considering the rooting process--if you do the wrong thing, you could irreversibly brick your phone.

Have fun!

Global Posts
    21,647 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Welcome to the forums.
    I have never really been too big on the idea of taking a Nexus and flashing a custom ROM on it. Here is why. You lose the speed of the updates that way. Sure, sometimes the ROM developer finds bugs and squashes them before Google does, but I haven't seen that very often. This is only my opinion now: Cyanogen, Slim, AOKP, etc, are great if you are flashing them to say a ZTE or some other device that will not go beyond the OS version it came with. Or in the instance of say the Samsungs where they are all at least 1 OS version behind, and take forever a day and an age to get an update. When I had my S3, thanks to Slim, I was running 4.3 when other people were complaining that they didn't have 4.2.2.

Wizzrah has a good list of apps. The only thing I can add is PowerAmp. Quite possibly the best audio player app.

B. Diddy has some very good advice about acclimating to the new OS: keep it simple until you learn the basic ins and outs, then add new launchers and such. Any questions on anything from Launchers, to rooting/ROMs, ask first. Ask more than one person. Get plenty of opinions. For the most part we are all here to help.

As for what device to get: Look at the Nexus 5, Moto X, and by all means play with as many live devices as you can, and choose the phone you want for your own reasons. Again, ask opinions on devices.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    21,647 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    if you do the wrong thing, you could irreversibly brick your phone.
    Or worse....

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Or worse....
    Oh man, what could be worse?

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Oh man, what could be worse?
    Watching a perfect-condition Nexus 4 as it is shattered by a hospital security door. That's worse. :P

Welcome to the community, Haris! The guys gave some great advice, so don't be afraid to jump into the community and into Android. You can do a lot with the stock Android experience on the Nexus, but you also shouldn't be afraid of the rooting process (or the resulting opportunities and capabilities). It has risks, but they're lowered substantially when talking in terms of the Nexus line.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    Watching a perfect-condition Nexus 4 as it is shattered by a hospital security door. That's worse. :P
    OMG, that's going to give me nightmares now.

I pick ttpod music player over poweramp. I like the ttpod ui.

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    4,318 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Quote Originally Posted by gdmin View Post
    I pick ttpod music player over poweramp. I like the ttpod ui.

Wow, even though I've never heard of it, I checked ttpod out and the ui is very nice!

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

Hey Haris,

Welcome to the forums!
    My Devices: Primary / Tablet: Moto X / iPad Mini (1st Gen)
    Personal Blog: http://www.mydailydoseblog.com
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

thank you all for your quick answers! Will check out all those apps when the phone arrives (been delayed till next Monday) Also I will not add a custom rom like Cyan unless I need it. How long will Google continue to provide updates for the nexus4? Once again I appreciate the quick replies and for all your help!

Global Posts
    21,647 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

thank you all for your quick answers! Will check out all those apps when the phone arrives (been delayed till next Monday) Also I will not add a custom rom like Cyan unless I need it. How long will Google continue to provide updates for the nexus4? Once again I appreciate the quick replies and for all your help!
    Since it got 4.4 I would guess for maybe another year. Upside is CM and Slim support the Nexus line, so getting a custom ROM after Google stops is quite easy to find.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

I got lucky and the phone came a week early! Loving android why would anyone use any other OS?!?!

Posted via Android Central App
    B. Diddy and wizzrah like this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Is there any way to import pictures from twitter to contacts. On wp I could connect my people/contact app to twitter and it would automatically sync their twitter profiles with their contact page on my phone, does anyone get what I'm trying to say? Thanks a lot for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Wow, even though I've never heard of it, I checked ttpod out and the ui is very nice!

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk
    Yeah you can even do karaoke everytime LOL.

Is there any way to import pictures from twitter to contacts. On wp I could connect my people/contact app to twitter and it would automatically sync their twitter profiles with their contact page on my phone, does anyone get what I'm trying to say? Thanks a lot for all your help!

Have you tried contact+ on playstore?

Last edited by gdmin; 01-19-2014 at 03:40 AM.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Not what I was looking for but thanks anyways!

Global Posts
    6,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Hello and welcome to the forums! 😃

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!