Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By UJ95x
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moving apps to SD

Fellow droids. I own a Samsunx XCover2. When i bought it they told me it had 4 GB, but it roughly has a 1 GB. For me this is very limited. I've tried APP2SD, Link2SD to move the apps, but both have failed me, telling me the phone doesn't have the ability to do so. Is there a way to do it without rooting my phone?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Moving apps to SD

It is not possible to move apps onto the micro sd card in your phone.
    Current Device: Nexus 5 Black 32GB, Tesla Model S P85
    Past Devices: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 4 (16GB), iPad 2 (64GB with 3G)

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

That is correct. It's up to the app developer to enable apps2sd support, and since Google has killed it off since 4.0, most developers don't allow it.
    Even if it works, a very small amount of the app will be stored on the extSD, so it's probably not worth it

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy and Jimmy Grzybek like this.

Welcome to Android Central! The ability to move portions of an app to the external SD card was last available with Gingerbread (Android 2.3.6), but not with any version 4.0+. You might be able to do it if you root the phone, but results may depending on the phone. Remember that moving an app to the SD card usually means moving only a portion of the app there, since key portions need to stay behind in Internal Storage.

It is unfortunate how manufacturers advertise storage space, but it is still standard to report the total storage space, not the available space. As a general rule, the OS will take up around 2-3 GB, depending on the version. You also have to figure in preinstalled "bloatware." 4 GB phones usually only have 1 GB or less available to the user. For some tips on how to manage low memory, see this guide: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x and Jimmy Grzybek like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well, I guess I'm stuck with the tiny memory. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Check out the guide I mentioned above.