Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I'm new here and i have a question.

Hello everybody! I have an SD card and i'm trying to transfer data over to it. I downloaded an app called App 2 SD and am using that to attempt to transfer data over. The message it gives me is this.

" The device does not have a real primary external storage, or the primary external storage is emulated.

Moving app to SD function cannot be supported by this device"

I have an LG OPTIMUS L9 (P769)

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: I'm new here and i have a question.

Quote Originally Posted by VengefulWave View Post
    Hello everybody! I have an SD card and i'm trying to transfer data over to it. I downloaded an app called App 2 SD and am using that to attempt to transfer data over. The message it gives me is this.

" The device does not have a real primary external storage, or the primary external storage is emulated.

Moving app to SD function cannot be supported by this device"

I have an LG OPTIMUS L9 (P769)
    Welcome to the forums.
    The OS is most likely stopping this from happening. Are you running out of space?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes i am running out of space. That's why i got the SD card.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    The OS is most likely stopping this from happening. Are you running out of space?
    Yeah, i'm running out of space on my phone. The SD card is new and nothing is on it so i have a lot of space on that.

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Yeah, i'm running out of space on my phone. The SD card is new and nothing is on it so i have a lot of space on that.
    What version of Android are you running?
    To find out go to Settings>About device

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Welcome to AC.

Enjoy the forums!
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Welcome to Android Central! According to your phone's specs, you have at least Android 4.0.4, which means there isn't going to be a way for you to move apps to the SD card without rooting the phone. Moving apps to SD was phased out after 2.3.6.

The specs also mention only 4 GB of Internal Storage, which means you probably only have about 1 GB of usable storage (after accounting for the space the OS and other bloatware takes up). So unfortunately, you're going to be pretty limited in terms of how many apps you can install and how much data those apps can store. The external SD card is mostly useful for you to store media files like music, photos, and videos.

For more info, see this guide: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    What version of Android are you running?
    To find out go to Settings>About device
    Android version: 4.1.2
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! According to your phone's specs, you have at least Android 4.0.4, which means there isn't going to be a way for you to move apps to the SD card without rooting the phone. Moving apps to SD was phased out after 2.3.6.

The specs also mention only 4 GB of Internal Storage, which means you probably only have about 1 GB of usable storage (after accounting for the space the OS and other bloatware takes up). So unfortunately, you're going to be pretty limited in terms of how many apps you can install and how much data those apps can store. The external SD card is mostly useful for you to store media files like music, photos, and videos.

For more info, see this guide: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings
    Thanks! The two apps that take up the most space on my phone are Chrome app and Clash of Clans. COC takes up 53.81MB while Chrome takes up 77.42MB.

COC takes up 53.81MB while Chrome takes up 77.42MB.
    Did Chrome come preinstalled on your phone, or can you uninstall it? Unless a device has a pretty powerful processor and lots of memory, I find that Chrome causes things to slow down, and doesn't really offer much advantage over the stock Browser (if you have one).
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Did Chrome come preinstalled on your phone, or can you uninstall it? Unless a device has a pretty powerful processor and lots of memory, I find that Chrome causes things to slow down, and doesn't really offer much advantage over the stock Browser (if you have one).
    It came preinstalled. Whenever i check the memory on any of my apps they always show me how many bits i have on my SD card, are you sure their is noway to transfer apps over to it?

It came preinstalled. Whenever i check the memory on any of my apps they always show me how many bits i have on my SD card, are you sure their is noway to transfer apps over to it?
    It depends on how your phone is partitioning its memory. If it says "SD card," it might actually be referring to Internal Storage, which is sometimes called "Internal SD" (see the Guide I linked to above). But some apps will also store some data on the external SD card if one is detected--this isn't the same as moving an app to the external SD.

Even if you had the option of moving an app to the external SD, you can't move the entire app--usually, it's only a portion of the app, because key portions need to remain behind in the main Internal Storage
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Welcome

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

welcome to the forum

Welco

Welcome

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Welcome to AC.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

welcome to Android Central

Welcome welcome!

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

welcome!