Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kingmed1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hello, new to android, need help deciding on a tablet to get.

Hello, I am really new to android electronics (don't even have a cell phone except for a cheap pay by month one), I really never thought about getting a tablet until I got my daughter one last month for her Birthday. My daughter is 14 and she really really wanted one, however I really really didn't one to spend an arm and leg on one for her, I finally figured that the ASUS Memo Pad 7" 16gb would be perfect for her and at 149.00 it didn't break me and she is still loving it. She watches alot of Netflix on it and listens to Christian Music when she is home from school, that is unless she doesn't do her homework or chores then she looses it for a while. Well, I have been visiting Walmart, Office Depot, Sams Club, and Best Buy alot to handle and ask questions and try and figure out which tablet I want. I like the way the ASUS plays movies and looks very good when we do watch movies on the device, however being 51 years old I want a little better toy to play with, I have been looking at two tablets at present time the first is the new Nexus 7 32gb and the other one is the new ASUS 10.1" FHD 16gb tablet. If I'm not mistaken the screen resolution is the same on both devices, the ASUS has 2gb ram like the Nexus, has a dual core processor instead of a quad like the Nexus 7 the only thing I see that I might want (not sure if I need) is a slot for micro SD Card which the Nexus 7 doesn't have. I really like the Nexus 7 and I know it is top of the line for the price range, however the specs that I've read on the ASUS is not so bad in itself. So here is my issue I will mainly be using it to watch movies and listen to music, I would like to be able to download 7 or 8 full HD movies or some TV shows on the device plus be able to add a ton of music, which I figure 2 to 3 gb's would be more than enough for me to listen to. I will probably eventually buy and download movies to watch, and I was thinking if I could download them onto micro SD Cards then I would always have a library of movies at my leisure to watch. The device doesn't have to be the utmost best tablet in the world but I do want to stay around 250 to a little under 300 dollars for one not counting the 2 year drop and spill warranty. Since I don't have alot experience in how much gb's movies and music take up would this be feasible with the Nexus 7 tablet or should I get a tablet with a micro SD Card slot?, also any other tablets that may be advised for me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again, I have been visiting the site here for a few days reading alot but would really like to ask some questions before jumping into a tablet, I'd hate to buy either the ASUS or the Nexus 7 and have it a few months and not be happy with it. Thank you all for all your help!!!!

Default Re: Hello, new to android, need help deciding on a tablet to get.

If you like to watch a lot of movies then my preference would be the larger screen. And the Asus having a microSD slot is very convenient to put a lot of, I movie on it. For the purposes of mainly movies and music, I would go with the Asus.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Global Posts
    13,840 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Welcome to the forums. I can see the point of a larger tablet for the screen to watch movies. However the larger tablet will be heavier. My personal preference is smaller tablets because of this reason.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums. I can see the point of a larger tablet for the screen to watch movies. However the larger tablet will be heavier. My personal preference is smaller tablets because of this reason.

That's true. The nexus would be much smaller and lighter. If you carry your tablet around a lot then a smaller tablet might work better.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:

Welcome to Android Central! I haven't played around with the Asus 10" that you're referring to, but one thing to watch out for is that the CPU is an Intel Atom, instead of the more common ARM-based Android CPUs like Tegra or Snapdragon. A couple of years ago, when Android devices first started coming out with Intel chips, there was a small percentage of apps that wouldn't work very well on them, compared to ARM-based devices. The last time I looked into this, that incompatibility issue had improved, but I haven't been able to find any hard numbers.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

welcome to Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post

I agree for watching movies you need a light device otherwise your arm starts aching after a bit, I once tried using my sisters ipad to watch a film and soon give it her back..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

O.K. is there a way to download a movie onto a Nexus 7 by dragging from my laptop or computer onto the tablet itself? I've read that you can rig up the tablet so that it would take micro sd cards but it would nullify the warranty of the tablet. Also I was of the understanding that I could use the digital copy of store bought movies and download it to android but I've read where they are not compatible. I bought the ASUS 10.1" two days ago, nice tablet...haven't had one single problem with it, moves from hulu and netflix are crystal clear and very nice to watch from the device, however if it's going to be hard to download movies onto a micro sd card and load/play on the ASUS then I might as well get the Nexus 7. Is there an easy way that I can at least take the movies that I have bought and transfer them to a sd card to play in the ASUS Tablet?, if so how would I go about doing this. I love to fish and I was thinking it would be nice to have a movie on the go to watch if all I wanted to do is watch my kids fish. Thanks for all the input, like I said if it is just going to be hard for me to load movies on an sd card and play on the ASUS then I might as well take it back.

Congratulations on your purchase! Unfortunately, digital copies of movies that come with the DVD usually won't work on your Android device if you simply copy the file over, since there is copy protection involved. The only option for Android at this time is UltraViolet--does your DVD specify that?

One workaround is to use a program on your PC like Tunebite to legally make a copy of a movie that you own, then transfer that copy over to your device. Tunebite works by making an analog recording of the movie as it plays on your PC's media player. Again, it must be a movie that you purchased.

Posted via Android Central App
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks, I really like the ASUS 10.1" tablet, I don't feel it's the best but it does more than I could imagine. I agree that you must purchase the movie before making copies, I have tons of them and when my daughters want to borrow either mine or theirs eventually they wind up either on the floor or scratched up or broken. Is Tunebite one of the best program to get?, I also heard that DVD Fab was good also.
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase! Unfortunately, digital copies of movies that come with the DVD usually won't work on your Android device if you simply copy the file over, since there is copy protection involved. The only option for Android at this time is UltraViolet--does your DVD specify that?

One workaround is to use a program on your PC like Tunebite to legally make a copy of a movie that you own, then transfer that copy over to your device. Tunebite works by making an analog recording of the movie as it plays on your PC's media player. Again, it must be a movie that you purchased.

Posted via Android Central App

There are a few different ones out there--I only have direct experience with Tunebite (by Audials).
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I downloaded handbrake, don't know how well it is...well try it out.

Global Posts
    2,695 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Welcome to AC!
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Welcome to AC!
    Nice badge, dude ...

Global Posts
    2,695 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Nice badge, dude ...
    Thanks!

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

welcome to the forum

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

welcome to Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by Kingmed1 View Post
    I downloaded handbrake, don't know how well it is...well try it out.
    So which device did you end up getting?
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I ended up with the ASUS 10.1" FHD 16 GB Tablet, I wish I could have gotten a 32 gb but what I have is great for my needs. I bought it at Office Depot Saturday before last on the 22nd of Februar, came home and my wife asked how much it was and I said 331.00 with the two year drop and spill warrantee (with kids I don't mind spending the extra for the warrantee)j. Well when I got home my wife about had a cow (sorry ladies) about spending on the tablet, she always says I always have to have the best but I try to tell her that I came far from getting the best and I didn't spend that much especially for a decent and good tablet. I told her a month or so ago that I think we should get another laptop since our 13 yr. had missed up our last one by carrying it around by the screen and so she went out and paid 20.00 for an ASUS mini laptop that came out in 2002 with windows XP. It's O.K. if you don't want to do much on it, and it's nice but seriously when it comes to buying a man or woman toys that they like and want you just don't go out and buy what you want them to have and think that they will go crazy over it, I did appreciate the thought but since I was real excited over it, her feelings were hurt for a few days....guess I need to learn how to act better. Well, the ASUS that I got has excellent screen resolution, very good sound and does pretty much everything I want it to do. I also decided on DVD Fab 30 day free download, had no idea on what the heck I was doing when I used it to rip and burn one of my kids movies but I was able to burn HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL to a Micro SD Card and it came out great except it has the FAB DVD Logal with the monkey face on the upper left hand corner of the screen when playing the movie, I figure that is because it's a free trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    So which device did you end up getting?
    B. Diddy and ffejjj like this.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

welcome!