Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Hi there. I'm a new forum member. I just signed on with Verizon and got a Galaxy Note 3. It is at my house waiting for me to get home from work. My wife also got an LG G2. These are our first smart phones. I know, we are late to the game, but we didn't want to pay for data before now. Anyway... A little about me:

    I'm 26 years old. I am married and my wife and I have one daughter that is 17 months old. We have a second daughter on the way, due in May. I work as a manufacturing engineer in the heavy equipment industry. I am into cars, technology, photography, and tinkering on things. I build my own computers, which is lots of fun. I play video games. I play trumpet and play in a local big band in the Peoria, IL area.

    These are our first smart phones. We have resisted the urge to go with smart phones mainly because we didn't want to afford any of the data plans. Plus, we had an iPod touch, a netbook, laptops, etc. so we really weren't missing out on much at home in the way of staying connected. We were sprint customers, but the coverage was terrible in our area. We switched to Verizon and finally joined the 21st century with smartphones Our previous phones were slider messaging phones that were utter pieces of crap. I will be glad to see them go.

    I am completely new to Android, so I have a lot to figure out. I am familiar with iphone OS just because of my out of date ipod touch, but I am by no means an iphone fanboy. I'll have a lot to figure out when it comes to Android. It sounds like Android is way more customizable and has way more options then a iOS. I'm looking forward to my note 3 and all the possibilities that the s-pen and large screen will give me.
    Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Welcome to Android Central!

    You both got some great phones in the Note 3 and LG G2.

    Look around, ask questions and enjoy the forums !

    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

    I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Welcome! As Paul said, you two have a great set of devices. The forums are full of helpful information and tips, but feel free to reach out if there's anything we can help with.
  4. #4  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,518 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,712 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Welcome to the forums and to the Android side

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Welcome to the forums!!

    Sent from my Anthem filled Note 3
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  6. #6  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    8,102 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,105 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Welcome to the forums! Let us know if you have any questions or if you would like recommendations on Apps for certain services
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Thanks guys for the responses.

    I got the note 3 primarly because of the possibilities it gives me for work. That, and it is one of the fastest phones out there right now.

    I work completely with new products at work, so I deal a lot with prototype builds and getting new tooling and equipment up and running on assembly lines. Our company does not provide company phones, they expect us to use personal phones instead. I'm hoping I can use the Note 3 to replace my camera and notepad when I'm out on the shop floor. I can take a picture of an issue and circle or jot a quick note down. Or if I'm following a new product, I could write down any issue we have on the phone and have access to them later. Right now, I carry a digital camera, a laptop, and a physical notepad on the line with me. I'm hoping to get rid of the notepad and camera and replace them with my phone.

    The larger screen will be nice for browsing the internet and watching videos. I don't game all that much on my phone, I've got game consoles and a PC for that. I know how hard it is to browse on my tiny 2nd gen ipod touch, this screen is a lot bigger then that. Should be much easier on the eyes.
    Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon
  8. #8  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,518 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,712 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Quote Originally Posted by markag6 View Post
    Thanks guys for the responses.

    I got the note 3 primarly because of the possibilities it gives me for work. That, and it is one of the fastest phones out there right now.

    I work completely with new products at work, so I deal a lot with prototype builds and getting new tooling and equipment up and running on assembly lines. Our company does not provide company phones, they expect us to use personal phones instead. I'm hoping I can use the Note 3 to replace my camera and notepad when I'm out on the shop floor. I can take a picture of an issue and circle or jot a quick note down. Or if I'm following a new product, I could write down any issue we have on the phone and have access to them later. Right now, I carry a digital camera, a laptop, and a physical notepad on the line with me. I'm hoping to get rid of the notepad and camera and replace them with my phone.

    The larger screen will be nice for browsing the internet and watching videos. I don't game all that much on my phone, I've got game consoles and a PC for that. I know how hard it is to browse on my tiny 2nd gen ipod touch, this screen is a lot bigger then that. Should be much easier on the eyes.
    Sounds like the Note 3 was the best fit for you
    Lots of note taking options and the S-Pen. Plus one of the best cameras on a phone at the momebt

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Welcome to Android Central!

    If you are planning to use the note 3 in an industrial environment, consider getting a heavy duty case like the otterbox defender or Trident Kraken ams.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  10. #10  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    19,430 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Quote Originally Posted by markag6 View Post
    Hi there. I'm a new forum member. I just signed on with Verizon and got a Galaxy Note 3. It is at my house waiting for me to get home from work. My wife also got an LG G2. These are our first smart phones. I know, we are late to the game, but we didn't want to pay for data before now. Anyway... A little about me:

    I'm 26 years old. I am married and my wife and I have one daughter that is 17 months old. We have a second daughter on the way, due in May. I work as a manufacturing engineer in the heavy equipment industry. I am into cars, technology, photography, and tinkering on things. I build my own computers, which is lots of fun. I play video games. I play trumpet and play in a local big band in the Peoria, IL area.

    These are our first smart phones. We have resisted the urge to go with smart phones mainly because we didn't want to afford any of the data plans. Plus, we had an iPod touch, a netbook, laptops, etc. so we really weren't missing out on much at home in the way of staying connected. We were sprint customers, but the coverage was terrible in our area. We switched to Verizon and finally joined the 21st century with smartphones Our previous phones were slider messaging phones that were utter pieces of crap. I will be glad to see them go.

    I am completely new to Android, so I have a lot to figure out. I am familiar with iphone OS just because of my out of date ipod touch, but I am by no means an iphone fanboy. I'll have a lot to figure out when it comes to Android. It sounds like Android is way more customizable and has way more options then a iOS. I'm looking forward to my note 3 and all the possibilities that the s-pen and large screen will give me.
    Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you here. I see you have a 2006 ish Mustang GT as an avatar. Sweet ride...

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you here. I see you have a 2006 ish Mustang GT as an avatar. Sweet ride...

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    It's actually a 2008 Mustang GT. I got it used 2 years ago. I'm hoping to keep it forever. Done some small mods to it, but I have big plans for it long term. Right now I've got a custom tune and a cold air intake. Also have lower control arms for the rear axle to help reduce wheel hop. I've new rear end gears waiting to go in, and I have katzkin interior (from a contest I won at Christmas time).
    Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon
  12. #12  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    19,430 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Quote Originally Posted by markag6 View Post
    It's actually a 2008 Mustang GT. I got it used 2 years ago. I'm hoping to keep it forever. Done some small mods to it, but I have big plans for it long term. Right now I've got a custom tune and a cold air intake. Also have lower control arms for the rear axle to help reduce wheel hop. I've new rear end gears waiting to go in, and I have katzkin interior (from a contest I won at Christmas time).
    How much HP you have?

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  13. #13  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    8,102 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,105 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Quote Originally Posted by markag6 View Post
    Thanks guys for the responses.

    I got the note 3 primarly because of the possibilities it gives me for work. That, and it is one of the fastest phones out there right now.

    I work completely with new products at work, so I deal a lot with prototype builds and getting new tooling and equipment up and running on assembly lines. Our company does not provide company phones, they expect us to use personal phones instead. I'm hoping I can use the Note 3 to replace my camera and notepad when I'm out on the shop floor. I can take a picture of an issue and circle or jot a quick note down. Or if I'm following a new product, I could write down any issue we have on the phone and have access to them later. Right now, I carry a digital camera, a laptop, and a physical notepad on the line with me. I'm hoping to get rid of the notepad and camera and replace them with my phone.

    The larger screen will be nice for browsing the internet and watching videos. I don't game all that much on my phone, I've got game consoles and a PC for that. I know how hard it is to browse on my tiny 2nd gen ipod touch, this screen is a lot bigger then that. Should be much easier on the eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Sounds like the Note 3 was the best fit for you
    Lots of note taking options and the S-Pen. Plus one of the best cameras on a phone at the momebt

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    I agree...looks like the Note 3 was a good choice for what the OP plans on using it for
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    I've never dynoed the car, but I would estimate about 300 BP to the wheels with the custom tune and intake. I've got custom exhaust too, but that really only changes the sound.

    Anyway... I'm playing with my note 3 now. Loving it so far, but I've got a lot to learn with it.
  15. #15  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,518 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,712 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Quote Originally Posted by markag6 View Post
    I've never dynoed the car, but I would estimate about 300 BP to the wheels with the custom tune and intake. I've got custom exhaust too, but that really only changes the sound.

    Anyway... I'm playing with my note 3 now. Loving it so far, but I've got a lot to learn with it.
    Let us know if you have any questions

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Quote Originally Posted by markag6 View Post
    I've never dynoed the car, but I would estimate about 300 BP to the wheels with the custom tune and intake. I've got custom exhaust too, but that really only changes the sound.

    Anyway... I'm playing with my note 3 now. Loving it so far, but I've got a lot to learn with it.
    Did you mean 300whp? Bhp refers to hp at the flywheel

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    The only thing right now is how to add lock screen widgets and how to move the widgets around that are already on the home screens.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon
  18. #18  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,518 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,712 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Quote Originally Posted by markag6 View Post
    The only thing right now is how to add lock screen widgets and how to move the widgets around that are already on the home screens.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Tap and hold the widgets to move them.
    In settings, there is an option to add lockscreen widgets.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Awesome! Thanks. I need to find that setting now.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon
  20. #20  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,518 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,712 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Quote Originally Posted by markag6 View Post
    Awesome! Thanks. I need to find that setting now.

    Posted via Android Central App
    It should be under security or lockscreen. I'd check if I was still using TouchWiz

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Did you mean 300whp? Bhp refers to hp at the flywheel

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Yep. I meant rwhp.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Having a note 3 really gets attention. Everybody wants to come and play with it, and see it. They have lots of questions about it, usually about the size of it.

    When I was at work today, I probably had at least 10 different people come over and see it. Every person that held it asked if it was real leather on the back. They all commented on how big it was. I had a guy I've never met before ask if he could see it because he was deciding if he wanted to get it. He was afraid of how big it was and if it would still fit in his pocket. Every one has ever something to say about it.

    I didn't think it would get that kind of attention.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon
  24. #24  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    19,430 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    I leave a tab on the computer with this place running while I'm working lol. Very nice to hit new posts and see what I'm interested in without having to sift through a ton of nonsense I'm not. Excellent job JFSikora and company.
    Kinda like when you got that hot new toy, or a new Mustang.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

    To be honest, my note 3 gets more attention then my mustang.

    Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 01:04 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2014, 09:40 AM
  3. M8 = "The All-New One"
    By Ry in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 01:55 PM
  4. Help with my rooted phone
    By Zr1fanatic in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions