Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Accidental update messed up my wifi on T- Mobile S4 rooted

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to rooting! So one day I decided to root my SGH-M919 S4 from T-Mobile running Android 4.3.2 and I was able to root it using Odin and kies 3 without any problem. I was on Kies 3 yesterday backing up my stuff and I accidently updated to kit Kat 4.4.2 (I know dumb *** me) My Wi-Fi is off, it won’t go on no matter what I do; the wifi button is grayed out and it won't slide to the on position. Kies 3 recognizes my phone but Odin doesn't, I tried uninstalling and installing the drivers but to no avail. Please can anyone help me! I would like to reinstall the factory setting firmware that came originally with my S4 which is Android 4.2.2 so that I can update from there on to kit Kat 4.4.2 and then root it. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I keep getting a security notice message
    "Your phone's security has blocked an action that is not permitted. No further action is required." at first it was whenever I tried to turn on Wifi, now its constantly showing.

Default Re: Accidental update messed up my wifi on T- Mobile S4 rooted

Alright, Odin is very sensitive so try plugging in the USB cable in some other slot on your computer or if you can try changing the cable. Some users have experienced that Odin starts working again with a change of OS or doing a simple factory reset on your device. Others have reported Odin being able to recognize your device by simply booting your phone in download mode and then connecting it to your computer (restart while holding the power, home and vol up key). There was of course a mess up at some end which is making it impossible for you to use your WiFi, flashing in a fresh install may help.Oh and after you do a factory reset (you will lose all data on your phone) check the WiFi, sometimes just by doing a factory reset it does start to work. (do a delvik cache and cache wipe as well).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidProf View Post
    Alright, Odin is very sensitive so try plugging in the USB cable in some other slot on your computer or if you can try changing the cable. Some users have experienced that Odin starts working again with a change of OS or doing a simple factory reset on your device. Others have reported Odin being able to recognize your device by simply booting your phone in download mode and then connecting it to your computer (restart while holding the power, home and vol up key). There was of course a mess up at some end which is making it impossible for you to use your WiFi, flashing in a fresh install may help.Oh and after you do a factory reset (you will lose all data on your phone) check the WiFi, sometimes just by doing a factory reset it does start to work. (do a delvik cache and cache wipe as well).
    Okay, so I grabbed another extra cable and switched it; I also connected the cable to another USB port on my laptop, I then powered down my phone and started back up in download mode but still nothing. I completed a factory reset and caches wipe but nothing has changed Odin doesn't recognize my phone. I forgot to mention that I ran a root verification app and found that my phone was no longer rooted. Can I download the firmware to my laptop and move it to my SD card and try to install the factory firmware from that location?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Good News! I was able to restore my S4 with Kies by completely removing the program from my laptop and then reinstalling the software. I downloaded the Samsung drivers directly from Samsungs website. I then used Kies software recovery tool and installed the complete firmware Kit Kat 4.4.2, my WiFi is now working. Listed below is the YouTube video which indicates step-by-step instructions on how to restore the phone. I've also included a link to Samsungs website for the S4 drivers which should be installed on the laptop. Install Kies first and then install Samsung drivers second, the software will indicate that you already have Samsung drivers just go ahead and install them again on top of the ones Kies has. I lost my root software and wasn't able to restore my firmware to 4.2 Jelly Bean but at least I got my phone back in working order. Hope this helps.

YouTube video:
    Samsung drivers for S4: Samsung Andorid USB Driver for Windows | SAMSUNG Developers

Global Posts
    32,265 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Good to hear. Thanks for posting the solution.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

What!? oh noo thats terrible