Samsung S4 Mini GT-i9190 Menu & back soft keys do not light up

Paul Cradden

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
The Menu & back soft keys do not light up and despite much Googling I cannot find a solution. Think I have the international version but when i look at the settings they are very limited. The most mentioned solution under display settings is to use "key light duration" settings as it may be set to off. However this is simply not there in the menu. Any clues anyone? It's driving me mad. :-\

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi and Welcome to the forums.

I am fairly inexperienced here, but this is where it is on my UK / EU region Note 3.

ta6yguhy.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are they not lighting up at all, or only for a short period of time? Also, do you have any screen dimming apps installed? Those kinds of apps can also turn off the key backlights.

Paul Cradden

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Not lighting up at all. No other apps on phone. Just got it from a friend. Buttons work perfectly. Just don't light up. Here is a screenshot of diplsay menu. Only 1 option scrolling up is not in capture and that's only lock screen notifications. Otherwise that's it! There is no touch key light duration. I did notice that the default language was U.S. English so i looked up the manual for that version and it show's a more options than i have inc. the above one and battery percentage etc.s4miniscreen.JPG

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-20-21-41-49.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-20-21-41-49.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I had a look at the manual for the Gt-i9195 version and it's there (see below). Your screen doesn't look right at all. Someone might tell if this is rooted, I don't know. Could you post the about device page in General, you can wipe over personal info. I'll stick mine on here. Hope you don't have a dud.
----------------

Display
Change the settings for the display.
? Wallpaper:
? ?Home screen: Select a background image for the Home screen.
? ?Lock screen: Select a background image for the locked screen.
? ?Home and lock screens: Select a background image for the Home screen and the
locked screen.
? Notification panel: Customise the items that appear on the notifications panel.
? Screen mode:
? ?Adapt display: Use this mode for optimising the display according to the display
settings.
? ?Dynamic: Use this mode to make the display tone more vivid.
? ?Standard: Use this mode for normal surroundings.
? ?Professional photo: Use this mode to make the display tone look like real colours.
? ?Movie: Use this mode for dim surroundings, such as in a dark room.
? Brightness: Set the brightness of the display.
? Auto-rotate screen: Set the content to rotate automatically when the device is turned.
? Screen timeout: Set the length of time the device waits before turning off the display?s
backlight.
? Daydream: Set the device to launch a screensaver when your device is connected to a
desktop dock or charging.? Font style: Change the font type for display text.
? Font size: Change the font size.
? Touch key light duration: Set the duration for the touch button backlight.

? Display battery percentage: Set the device to display the remaining battery life.
? Edit after screen capture: Set the device to edit the screenshot after capturing it.
? Auto adjust screen tone: Set the device to save power by adjusting the brightness of the
display.
--------------------
puzy2u6e.jpg

Paul Cradden

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Here is a screenshot. Again there are a few options at the top not shown which are system and software updates. Can't be rooted as i did a full factory reset which made no difference.Screenshot_2014-04-20-22-48-27.png

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hang on...looking everything over.

EDIT: Do you still have the box? Could you enter the entire model number please?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think I have found part of the problem. The last few characters of the model number you gave was the region code that the device was originally for. In your case, the United Arab Emirates. I can't tell what has been flashed to the phone, however, I can tell you that the device and the proper region ROM are not up to date (assuming for a moment I am correct).

So, there are a few choices:

1. You can try to flash the proper ROM region to your device. Be advised: I don't exactly know what will happen. I have not had the intestinal fortitude to take even an older device and flash an inappropriate region ROM to it. To the best of my knowledge, you match each properly.

2. You can try to root and flash a custom ROM, like Cyanogen. This is a little safer than #1, will get you up to date with your OS, and possibly fix the backlight issue.

3. Do nothing. If this is all the issue is, and is not causing the device to behave erratically, you can always leave it be.

Paul Cradden

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I'll have to consider my options. Any idea where I would find the ROM for the U.K. to attempt to change the firmware? It is only a minor issue i suppose but it's really bugging me. It is odd that in different regions the menu options are less extensive.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I'll have to consider my options. Any idea where I would find the ROM for the U.K. to attempt to change the firmware? It is only a minor issue i suppose but it's really bugging me. It is odd that in different regions the menu options are less extensive.

It is strange. I don't know why it is, considering a Nexus device is one file.
Here is your link: Firmware archive | Samsung Updates
(Not sure if the link will take you right to your device. If not, use the dropdown menu to select your device by model number; GT-I9190)
These are free but take a while. As in a few hours, regardless if your net speed. I now prefer Sammobile, but they don't have your file.

If you are open to suggestions, I would say either go with option 2 or 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC