hello! decisions, decisions.

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
hi all! I had gone to android a year ago but I found the Samsung S4 laggy, and switched to the Note 2 which had problems. (delayed texts and calls going directly to voicemail)

I am tired of my iPhone's 4s small screen. I am a web designer and use email heavily on my phone, as well as texting, and web surfing. I don't game at all-just productivity tasks.
I also have minor carpal tunnel, so I am not sure if I need a wider phone or a lighter one. I also need a phone that takes photos at least the same quality as the iPhone 4S.

I was leaning toward the nexus 5 but I don't like the battery life (hubby has it), and after my experience with the note 2, I am leery of the note 3 having the same issues. the Samsungs don't seem as smooth scrolling as hubby's nexus 5.

I am a heavy phone user, but I am just stuck on what to choose. Any suggestions? I am buying off contract so price isn't an issue. I just want a phone that I can use for 2 years and not get frustrated.

thanks!

Jen:)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm the battery life on the M8. It did take nearly a week for the battery to settle in.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1399518031072.jpg
    1399518031072.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 14

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
hi all! I had gone to android a year ago but I found the Samsung S4 laggy, and switched to the Note 2 which had problems. (delayed texts and calls going directly to voicemail)

I am tired of my iPhone's 4s small screen. I am a web designer and use email heavily on my phone, as well as texting, and web surfing. I don't game at all-just productivity tasks.
I also have minor carpal tunnel, so I am not sure if I need a wider phone or a lighter one. I also need a phone that takes photos at least the same quality as the iPhone 4S.

I was leaning toward the nexus 5 but I don't like the battery life (hubby has it), and after my experience with the note 2, I am leery of the note 3 having the same issues. the Samsungs don't seem as smooth scrolling as hubby's nexus 5.

I am a heavy phone user, but I am just stuck on what to choose. Any suggestions? I am buying off contract so price isn't an issue. I just want a phone that I can use for 2 years and not get frustrated.

thanks!

Jen:)

I almost forgot. Welcome to the forums!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I got my GS4 back in July 1 2013, no problem, no lag.

But you should try a Note 3 and the Galaxy S5 just in case.
I'm a first time Samsung phone buyer and love my GS4, especially its camera. So the camera on the N3 should be about the same and the one on the GS5 is better.

The problems you had with the Note 2 should not be on these phones.

Anyway, if you just don't want to give them a try then you should try Patrick's suggestion. It's also a great phone.

I guess it would be best if you go into the store and use the phones they have there and make a better decision.

Let us know which phone you decided on.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
thank you golfdriver! I am only a bit hesitant because I had used an htc one as my replacement phone during the time my note was being sent off for fixing. I did not like sense at all. :-( On paper this phone seems ideal. in hand I am not so sure...
it is a beautiful phone. so sleek.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the link Patrick. Sense seems different on this phone. it is quite heavy though at 160...

I was not a fan of Sense before either. It doesn't seem as bad as it might look. I have no lag whatsoever

From an SOKP Nexus 5

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Consider also the LG G2, which is similar to the Nexus 5 hardware-wise, except with a bigger battery. Camera is supposed to be good, and people rave about the screen. Or you could wait a bit and see what the upcoming G3 is like!

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
golfdriver, is the nexus 5 able to be a workhorse? I am worried about being disappointed in the battery. I love how light it is though! I hate hangouts and am not fond of the stock sounds. also the screen seems to have a yellow tint. And the color scheme is just drab and gray. I am. guessing all that is changeable.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
golfdriver, is the nexus 5 able to be a workhorse? I am worried about being disappointed in the battery. I love how light it is though! I hate hangouts and am not fond of the stock sounds. also the screen seems to have a yellow tint. And the color scheme is just drab and gray. I am. guessing all that is changeable.

The N5 is OK. Other devices will be better in the battery arena. My screen shows whites as nearly pure white. No yellow. Actually comparing my N5 to the Moto X, and my old S3 and S2, the Samsung's had a blue tint and the Moto had a yellowish color. The color is actually very close to the M8.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I am going with the Nexus 5. I just really love the weight and feel of the device. I am usually around a charger so I am going to stop obsessing about battery. thanks to everyone for the help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good choice! Do yourself a favor and get a wireless charger, which you can often get for as cheap as $20. Just keep the phone on the charger when not in use, and battery life will be less of a problem. I know it seems silly that plugging the phone in using the actual cable would be more of a hassle than a wireless charger, but the extra few seconds it takes to get that little micro USB plug into the socket can become annoying, while placing the phone on a charging pad doesn't get any simpler.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I am going with the Nexus 5. I just really love the weight and feel of the device. I am usually around a charger so I am going to stop obsessing about battery. thanks to everyone for the help!

Good deal! 👍

When you're around a charger battery life on a phone isn't much of a problem.

Did you considered Diddy's suggestion?
I know you made up your mind and the N5 is also a great choice.
Just asking, because the G2 is basically the N5's brother.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would add to B. Diddy's point by saying a wireless charger will also save on wear and tear on the charging port.
When you get the new device, I would suggest using it normally, charge when needed. You might be surprised, as in your cell coverage and use might be enough where only one charge per day may suffice.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I would add to B. Diddy's point by saying a wireless charger will also save on wear and tear on the charging port.
When you get the new device, I would suggest using it normally, charge when needed. You might be surprised, as in your cell coverage and use might be enough where only one charge per day may suffice.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

True indeed!

I've notice that my GS4 goes from 6 to 18 hours without charging in between, depending on cell coverage.

Sometimes I'm at places with hardly any coverage so my usage is only texts and phone calls (yes, I use my phone primarily for the stuff it was meant to do in the first place: phone calls! Unbelievable!). :p