Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 20 years with Microsoft and now must struggle with Android

Let me say first that computers for me, whether handheld or desktop, are "working tools" not entertainment. I have miles of Outlook contact information and decades of Word and Excel documents. I'm trying to get mobile with these and have just bought a Galaxy Note 3 phone, and a Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet.

My devices need to talk to each other, and get me where I need to go. Most of my work is "in the field" building things. I have struggled with 3rd party software that gets different devices to communicate, CompanionLink/DejaOffice for Outlook and Docs to Go for Office.

Just looking around this Android Forum for a few days, I'm a little puzzled at the way discussions are organized. A more orderly index of topics would be helpful some by device (as there are) but some also by genre or topic, such as Google Maps. Actually, I was looking for a forum that exclusively discussed Google Maps. Possibly, I missed it. Is there such?

Very best regards to anyone who reads this,
    Bill Phillips
    Durham, NC

Default Re: 20 years with Microsoft and now must struggle with Android

Google tech support has such a forum however they totally ignore complaints and suggestions.

Sent from my Hyperdriven Note 3
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,392 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Hello Bill, welcome to the forums at Android Central.

Samsung devices normally have an app called Polaris Office 5. That's what I use on the field and works pretty good.

You can also use Quickoffice, I also use it most of the time.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Welcome to Android Central Bill. I also use the same set up as STARGATE for most of my field work.

Global Posts
    22,222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Welcome to the forums. I personally like Kingsoft Office.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Welcome to Android Central! As you can imagine, with the multitude of Android devices available from different manufacturers running different versions of Android, it's hard enough to have enough subforums dedicated to a good number of those devices! This site tends to be more device-oriented rather than app-oriented, since that's what most people tend to prefer discussing.

If you want to discuss particular apps, you can look in one of the subforums here: Stuff for your Android Device - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com.
    Discussions about specific Android versions here: Android OS Discussion & Help - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    Generally uncategorized discussions here: General Help and How To - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    7,247 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

File organization: Google Drive - This one doubles as cloud storage and syncing across any type of device (Mac, iOS, Windows, ChromeOS, Android and Linux) and has the ability to convert .xlsx or .xls, etc, etc to editable Google Sheets and Google Docs, etc while mobile and convert it back if you want to use MS Office on the desktop. There are two dedicated apps for that editing: Google Docs and Google Sheets. QuickOffice, Polaris and Microsoft Office Mobile are also options for editing on the go although syncing isn't as seamless on those.
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.

I would second Google Drive. Compatible across Android and Windows m

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Darth Spock likes this.

Welcome!!! hope we can help out as much as possible.
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5