How to get rid of thumbnail data file? (Samsung galaxy s4)

anon(7887939)

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I own a samsung galaxy s4 i9505 and in my DCIM folder there is a hidden file named .thumbnails and within it there are several thumbnails and usually 2 files named thumbnaildata3 followed by a set of numbers that I think change every now and then. These thumbnaildata3 files are huge at 3.5 gigabytes a piece and I was wondering why are they so large and how do I get rid of them once and for all because no matter how often I delete them they come back.
Thank you so much for any help you can offer

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I can't offer a solid way to get rid of them, but the thumbnails can be just about anything. Smaller images of pictures you have taken, and even images from apps or games (this is what I would probably guess it is).

If you can, try pulling (simply by connecting the phone to your PC and copying) the files with your PC, and open them that way. If you see a bunch of images that look familiar, that might help you decide what to do with what created them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anything bad would happen, but more thumbnails would be recreated pretty soon afterwards. It might actually take more battery to create those thumbnails again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol