Hello from Samsung, feel free to ask questions!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCC1701

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Well, former Samsung. I was part of Samsung Technical Support for Android Smartphones until last month when I found a much better-paying job. Regardless, I used to read this site often for unusual problems callers would have and I figured it would be fun to give back a little. Even though I was there for less than a year I did very well for myself and even landed a cushy spot in the quality dept(you know when you call it says you may be recorded for quality assurance purposes? That was my job). It was a very interesting job, and I left with a ton of stories. I figured I'd give everyone here a chance to ask someone from the other side some questions about pretty much anything you'd want to know. The job was a good experience but I don't have any loyalty towards Samsung so I'll answer any questions you have. I was android technical support so I don't have any info on future products or much outside of smart phones, but besides that feel free to ask whatever you want to know!

Oh, and while I am fairly knowledgeable on troubleshooting android devices, there are many here who I'm sure know more about that than I, so if possible try to avoid asking troubleshooting questions.

MCC1701

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking of actually posting a sort of AMA thing on this site, but didn't know where to put it, so I figured I'd post hi and find out where that would best fit. Would you believe that area would be the best place for me to post that sort of thing? I did see that board previously but it seemed more like a place people ask random questions, not where someone would post a topic seeking questions.

My goal is to receive and answer questions about Samsung tech support itself, and while I may end up chiming in on someone's misc android issue, that's not the main reason I finally created an account here ;)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of actually posting a sort of AMA thing on this site, but didn't know where to put it, so I figured I'd post hi and find out where that would best fit. Would you believe that area would be the best place for me to post that sort of thing? I did see that board previously but it seemed more like a place people ask random questions, not where someone would post a topic seeking questions.

My goal is to receive and answer questions about Samsung tech support itself, and while I may end up chiming in on someone's misc android issue, that's not the main reason I finally created an account here ;)

Welcome to the forums. Ask A Question is very busy. People sometimes put what device they have on the title, so finding questions is pretty easy.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome! 🙋

I've got a question. Why doesn't Samsung make its screen navigation buttons customisable, so that I can go bottom left for Back as I'm used to? Being obliged to go bottom right for Back is the one reason - the one reason mind you - that I do not buy a Samsung device. It's an absurdly small obstacle that could surely be removed....or don't they want my custom, and that of others who feel the same?

Posted via the Android Central App

MCC1701

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Welcome! ??????

I've got a question. Why doesn't Samsung make its screen navigation buttons customisable, so that I can go bottom left for Back as I'm used to? Being obliged to go bottom right for Back is the one reason - the one reason mind you - that I do not buy a Samsung device. It's an absurdly small obstacle that could surely be removed....or don't they want my custom, and that of others who feel the same?

I can't give you a definite answer on that, but I know what you mean. I use a Druid MAXX I got last year and prefer the back button on the left. I will give you the same answer I would give anyone calling though, that it may be because when it comes to features people want for their phones that was one that people cared little about, so they found it was not worth their time and effort to do it. Another reason is that Samsung makes hardware, Google makes the software, and while the software is then tailored for the device there may be restrictions on that to keep them from doing so.

If you want that feature however, I would tell your carrier. Samsung makes phones depending on carrier specifications, and even creates specific models for particular carriers(The S5 Active for example). Samsung considers carriers their customers, so if people complain to carriers and then carriers complain to Samsung, that accomplishes a lot more than trying to talk to Samsung directly.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to AC :) I'm sure your knowledge will come in handy in the Samsung forums. I've one question that really frustrated me at the time, why did Samsung decide to shun Europe with the Note 5? They lost my custom when they decided to leave us out.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!

I've been a Samsung customer for 3 years now on mobile and in TVs for a few more years.

A little off topic, thinking of belodion's question.
It's probably weird for some people but, I really like that Samsung puts the back button on the bottom right.
I hate using it on the bottom left on my Lenovo tablet!

MCC1701

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to AC :) I'm sure your knowledge will come in handy in the Samsung forums. I've one question that really frustrated me at the time, why did Samsung decide to shun Europe with the Note 5? They lost my custom when they decided to leave us out.

Great question, and like before not one I can give a definite answer to. It is likely that either Samsung didn't feel like it wouldn't be worth making another model variation for Europe, or that the carriers in Europe were not interested in carrying the Note 5.

There could also be a variety of other reasons that would fall under "red tape." Anything having to do with cell phones in general is REALLY regulated by contracts and laws.

MCC1701

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I found this thread a couple days ago, and if my last suggestion doesn't work, I am out of ideas:
Unable to sell my phone!!!!

I assume you are asking for help with his problem. Well I'll say welcome to the hell that Samsung tech support has been going through since the Google Reactivation Lock was launched. Want to know what Samsung can do about it? Zilch, nada, and nothing. I've been told that even if the phone was sent in and a reflash was attempted it would brick the phone and you'd end up with an expensive doorstop. I've heard some customers have had success when calling Google, waiting some sort of 72 hour period for them to reset some stuff, and then getting in, but the original phone owner would need to do it. Good luck though because Google tech support SUCKS.

(Story incoming)
I've never had a customer transferred over by a Google rep who didn't flat out lie about what the issue was so they could pawn them off on me. Worst one was when a Google rep said they had someone on the line that was locked out of the phone via a forgotten pin number, and had tried android device manager with no avail. I told him the only thing we can do to unlock phones is advise FDR or try the android device manager(or the Samsung FindMyMobile, but TBH it's the same thing as the device manager) so we couldn't do anything, but he still asked if I could be the one to tell the customer that. I consented, he transferred the customer over and then dropped off the call. Turns out it was the reactivation lock and I had to spend half an hour talking to a crying and hysterical woman and her Husband/BF and explaining that there was nothing Samsung could do, and that the only entity on the face of the planet that could help them just dumped them onto me.

maria_74

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Is there any way to retrieve my pin in the "Screen Lock Type" settings for my Galaxy S6 edge? I've had it set to using my fingerprint, but all of a sudden it was changed to pin, but the normal pin I would use isn't working. Can the pin be retrieved without doing a phone reset?

MCC1701

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Is there any way to retrieve my pin in the "Screen Lock Type" settings for my Galaxy S6 edge? I've had it set to using my fingerprint, but all of a sudden it was changed to pin, but the normal pin I would use isn't working. Can the pin be retrieved without doing a phone reset?

So you are locked out of your phone? Coming from Samsung, there isn't anything they can do themselves. I would advise trying the Android Device Manager, but that seemed to only work 50% of the time when I advised it. If that works great, otherwise only google can help you get into the phone without FDR.

maria_74

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I was locked out, but was able to lock my phone on Android Device Manager so that I could essentially unlock my phone. While I changed the time out to one hour, I still can't change my pin code. I've looked under every option i can think of, but am still unable to retrieve the pin code.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of actually posting a sort of AMA thing on this site

MCC, in effort to keep things a little easier, how about creating a thread for this sort of thing anywhere you like. If you want, you can keep it in the Note 5 forum, and I will sticky it.

For right now, I am going to close this Intro thread to keep questions in the proper forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.