Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Hi Im new, first android phone questions.

    Hey guys/girls. Im new to this site. I am thinking of switching from Blackberry to Android. I have had a Blackberry for roughly 3 or 4 years, wonderful device but Android looks fresh and fun to use. I had a Sidekick since the sidekick 3 to the lx and i read that the new Sidekick is going to be Android. Would that be a good starting device for a new Android user or would it be to advanced that i wont know how to even go through the phone without problems? I will be using if for email and alot of texting and alot of web browsing as well as twitter and facebook. Or if you can offer a beginner device that you think would fit me best. Thanks for any responses.
  2. #2  

    Default

    Welcome to the forum. Ive used blackberries and sidekicks. The new android sidekick looks like it will be easy enough to use for a first timer. Androids are pretty easy to use period. Youre going to love the android platform. Enjoy!
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    Smitty_82's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    1,596 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

    Default

    Welcome to AC! As far as "beginner" devices for android, it is more about form factor than it being easy for beginers. The overall OS is the same on the devices. While there are some differences between the user interface between manufactures, the basic function is no harder. I would recomend going to your carrier store and getting a feel for the devices they offer, and find the one that you would be most comfortable with.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by li2327 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Ive used blackberries and sidekicks. The new android sidekick looks like it will be easy enough to use for a first timer. Androids are pretty easy to use period. Youre going to love the android platform. Enjoy!
    hmm thanks for the info, i always thought they were difficult to understand
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty_82 View Post
    Welcome to AC! As far as "beginner" devices for android, it is more about form factor than it being easy for beginers. The overall OS is the same on the devices. While there are some differences between the user interface between manufactures, the basic function is no harder. I would recomend going to your carrier store and getting a feel for the devices they offer, and find the one that you would be most comfortable with.
    i have a question, for blackberry you would hold down a key and can switch between open apps very easily without losing your place in the app you were just at. is it similar with android? and also, when you exit completely from an app, does it shutdown automatically, or do you need to go somewhere else in the phone to shut that app down?
  6. #6  
    Duvi's Avatar

    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts

    Default

    Welcome to A/C.

    Yes, Android has a similar way to switch between apps. Instead of the menu key, you hold the Home key for a couple of seconds until it appears.

    There are up to 8 recent apps, so if you exit one, normally it continues to run in the background until it becomes the 9th or higher app used. You can either use a task killer (I don't use these, ever) or go into settings and then applications to force close the app. Also, restarting the devices shuts all apps down.
    CrackBerry Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    Welcome to A/C.

    Yes, Android has a similar way to switch between apps. Instead of the menu key, you hold the Home key for a couple of seconds until it appears.

    There are up to 8 recent apps, so if you exit one, normally it continues to run in the background until it becomes the 9th or higher app used. You can either use a task killer (I don't use these, ever) or go into settings and then applications to force close the app. Also, restarting the devices shuts all apps down.
    is there a bunch of steps to get into the settings to shut the app down? im pretty sure, if u dont shut down apps, it slows up the phone right? or am i mistaken.
  8. #8  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,743 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default

    Shutting down apps is actually pretty easy. Go to Settings > Applications > Running. You can also clear caches that way to free up some internal memory if you start to run low. Which shouldn't be a problem. Android handles processes pretty good and will start shutting apps down. Jerry (gbhil) did a good write-up on how Android Memory works: http://www.androidcentral.com/fine-t...-multi-tasking

    I'm not saying use Minfree if you are rooted, but the article is a good read to understand Android a little better.
    Last edited by srkmagnus; 04-11-2011 at 09:58 AM.
  9. #9  
    Cyber Warrior's Avatar
    Robots Will Kill

    Posts
    8,565 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pain505 View Post
    is there a bunch of steps to get into the settings to shut the app down? im pretty sure, if u dont shut down apps, it slows up the phone right? or am i mistaken.
    Don't worry about shutting down apps.... Android is Linux based and automatically closes apps as the phone needs them.. it does an excellent job of this. Welcome to AC.. enjoy the forums. A good place to start is the General Help & How To threads.
  10. #10  
    mar#CB's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    ROM
    Leaked 2.3.4 Rom

    Default

    For killing apps, listen to what Cyber Warrior said, Android is good at freeing up resources.
  11. #11  
    *book's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

    Default

    This is great info! I had been wondering if I should be shutting down my apps. Now I'm not gonna worry about it! Thanks.

Posting Permissions

B