New AC Forum Member/Need Android Advice ASAP!

StonedYoda

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
OK so I'm Jared..been checking out these forums since I got the EVO 4G in Feb and I was JUST ABOUT TO ROOT it after much research and debate amongst the voices in my head when.......I got fired from my job.
Long story short, it was a company phone and I paid for the EVO as a replacement for the crappy Moment (which, in all honesty, was probably only crappy cuz I had yet to delve into the inner-workings of Android OS and never knew to clear caches or histories...but I digress).
Even though I bought the phone, they were insistent that I give it to the company when I left since the account was in their name. No worries. (Even as I type this, I am so close to tears it's ridiculous). I got reimbursed $50 for the cheap (yet extremely functional and helpful) 3500 mAh battery that I only paid $10 for on Amazon.

The point of all this rambling is this: I now have the chance to get any phone I want with any carrier. I know I should wait until the Sensation, EVO 3D or even the Droid-whatever comes out, but I bought a cheap prepaid phone just to have something to call friends and family with and it's driving me insane. I LOVE ANDROID. I REALLY miss my EVO. I had just bought the Full HDMI app (Thanks lokifish and orrebmas!), a new microHDMI and a few other accessories along with the extended battery. And the Netflix app, also.

I just saw on Amazon last night that the WHITE EVO 4G is going for <$90 with 2-year contract. Yes I would have to root it, yes it's pretty much outdated, but I just don't wanna pay that much for a phone again. The EVO does EVERYTHING I want it to, and that's without root....I can't even comprehend how awesome it would be with 2.3 and/or some custom ROMS...I went ahead and ordered a low-end Samsung 7 inch tablet with 2.2 so I could use that for the TV apps I use (don't have cable) and just get a low-end Android phone, I suppose.....BUUUUUUTTTTTTTTT

I come to you, the experts on all-things-Droidian: Should I go ahead and grab this cheap EVO just cuz it's cheap as well as awesome and I know how to use it (without Sense..I know that's blasphemy round these parts, but I just don't dig it)??

Should I grab the Nexus while it's on sale with TMobile? Or the G2X?

Please gimme some info, gentlemen. I need some advice on this quick before I end up buying a crappy phone and I'm tied down to a carrier.I may not like. OR that I passed up the Nexus S for cheap, just for something 100000000 times better to come out next month.

THANKS in advance to ANYONE who helps me with this moral dilemna

StonedYoda

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi and welcome.

I don't dig Sense either. Too ugly and cartoonish for my liking. My advice would be to grab that Nexus S.. 100% pure Google goodness.

Same here! It was pretty cool at first, but I WAS coming from a Moment so...

Thanks for the advice, that's the direction I was leaning towards. I'll miss the EVO, but I know it's not gonna be around forever. This Nexus will probably last me through to the upgrade anniversary, if not longer...plus I think I read that Sprint DIDN'T disable the wireless tethering feature (but that may have been one of the hundred other phones I have looked at).

Thanks again!

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Same here! It was pretty cool at first, but I WAS coming from a Moment so...

Thanks for the advice, that's the direction I was leaning towards. I'll miss the EVO, but I know it's not gonna be around forever. This Nexus will probably last me through to the upgrade anniversary, if not longer...plus I think I read that Sprint DIDN'T disable the wireless tethering feature (but that may have been one of the hundred other phones I have looked at).

Thanks again!

Happy to help. Enjoy your Nexus S. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech