Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rod Whitby

I founded and lead WebOS Internals.

Let the speculation begin

-- Rod

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Rod,

Welcome! I was a proud Pre owner for almost 2 years and loved everything you did with WebOS internals! That was one of the things I really missed when I jumped ship last month to android. If you are done with webos and now on Android, it is a huge loss for Palm/HP and a big gain for android!

I agree with JJ. If you are moving, or even just looking, it's a huge loss. But I do understand. I was a day one Pre owner and had one of the very rare 'black box' Pre's. Black box Pre's were the few that were shipped to the stores for staff training. Actually it held up better than my wife's yellow box (regular prod model) Pre. But after almost 2 years and the Feb announcement that HP was coming out with nothing of interest, I had to move. I have few regrets, but there are a couple of things I miss. But the wealth of other stuff makes Android better. Looking at HP's plans for WebOS, I think they will be out of the phone market by March 2012. Some think it's already happened.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Wow Rod, that would be huge if you jumped ship from the Pre (like I did about 6 months ago). You were the only reason I stayed with the Pre as long as I did. Your contributions were/are truly outstanding. I'd sure like to see what you could do with a HTC EVO, or something similar in your hand. Droid is a good operating system and needs someone like yourself to make it great. EVOware has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? I hope you make the switch.

Interesting... Your group is the only reason I have stuck with this Pre- in the UK for so long...

Hi Rod...

Welcome on board. It's nice to see you.

Enjoy. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Rod!

Fun to see you over on the dark side!

I notice that DIeter thanked you almost as soon as you registered here so I am betting it is some sort of really big conspiracy!

So I am thinking that it has something to do with Dieter, Australia, and space aliens?

Seriously, my mind is racing at what all might be possible with you...

-- Rod
    I've been pondering this since I saw it this morning. Perhaps the master is going to do what HP won't. Put WebOS on some real hardware. Both WebOS and Android are Linux based. Rewrite some drivers to match up to the Android standard hardware. Adjust a few parms. And HP gets left in the dust.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

WebOS on a EVO 3D, that would Rock!

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Rod, since I'm assuming you're on Sprint, you might want to hold out a few weeks until the EVO 3D comes out. I'm planning on getting it and would love to see your magic performed on it. WebOS is certainly better, but the lack of quality software was part of what killed the Pre in my case. Just for example, a remote desktop. The Pre only offered one (Unless one used the Classic emulator), and it didn't work very well. Android has at least ten of that kind of app, and they all work very well. The list goes on. Anyhow, I'd sure like to see you make the switch because we would all benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stashu11 View Post
    Rod, since I'm assuming you're on Sprint........
    I doubt Rod is on Sprint. Check his location.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

I guess he's not with Sprint... I just guessed he was because Sprint was the only company that had the Pre for a long time (at least I thought that was the case).

OK, what just happened?

Rod sign up over here.

Then Dieter thanked Rod personally, then Dieter resigned!

Quote Originally Posted by Stashu11 View Post
    Rod, since I'm assuming you're on Sprint, you might want to hold out a few weeks until the EVO 3D comes out. I'm planning on getting it and would love to see your magic performed on it. WebOS is certainly better, but the lack of quality software was part of what killed the Pre in my case. Just for example, a remote desktop. The Pre only offered one (Unless one used the Classic emulator), and it didn't work very well. Android has at least ten of that kind of app, and they all work very well. The list goes on. Anyhow, I'd sure like to see you make the switch because we would all benefit.
    Rod Whitby is in Australia. No Sprint there.

I really hope you'll continue work on webOS. I praise it every day and 90% of my praise is due to you and your team at webOS Internals. Please, please, please let us know if you're not going to be working with webOS anymore so I can jump ship now. Fist we lose Matias Duarte, if we lose you, there's nothing left. I wonder if HP's recent decision to close their app feed has soured you at all? LET US KNOW!

Rod, you've always been so matter-of-factly and have never left anything open to speculation, yet your post here on androidcentral is nearly troll-like with "let the speculation begin". Just be straight with us.

Default Re: Rod Whitby

Ya, I still don't get what's going on and the "Subjective comparison of webOS and Android" still hasn't been written.

Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts

Default Re: Rod Whitby

-- Rod
    Dr Rod! If you could bring your mojo to Android, the world would be a better place.

I can't thank you enough for you skill, class, professionalism, and dedication to webOS.

Gives me chills just to see your troll here.