How well does the iPhone sync with Google?

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
One of the things I LOVE about Android is the seamless syncing of my phone's contacts and calendars to Google via the cloud. I update on the web, it seamlessly shows up on my phone. I update on my phone, it seamlessly shows up on the web. It works extraordinarily well and I've never had any problems.

Does the iPhone sync as well to my Google account via the cloud as Android devices themselves? Or is it buggy, slow, doesn't work well, etc etc.?

If syncing to Google doesn't work so well, does the iPhone have any alternative solution to syncing contacts and calendar via the cloud? I know iPhone syncs just fine with Apple computers if you plug it in first, but if Google can do it so well over the cloud, I'm hoping Apple can too.

Anybody that has used both an iPhone and an Android care to comment?

DOOG9517

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Google syncs fine on the iPhone as long as the google account is set up as an exchange account on the iPhone. Don't just put the gmail account on the phone our the calendar and contacts won't sync.

baltien

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
It syncs fine when linked as an Exchange account, but keep in mind any messages you "delete" will be archived in your Gmail. Delete works fine when Gmail is setup using IMAP but like the above poster said, if you do it that way you lose contacts/multiple calendar sync.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I've got the Evo and an iPad 2 and the above posters are correct.

Just ordered my iPhone, today.

Mistress of Mischief

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
iPhone runs Android into the grave. Smooth is controlled, android is like menarche, just all over. Android apps are more fragmented by the day. I have purchased over 30 ducks, and only 10 ducks work sometimes. Android sucks, and ICS isn't going to de frag it.:'(

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I know this is an older thread that I am bumping but it is relevant to my question at hand. I just got an ipad2 and I set up my gmail using the "gmail" setup on the ipad. Apparantly from the above posters, I should have used exchange so it would sync my calendar and contacts and so I can "delete" emails.

Can I remove the "gmail" setup I did and re-setup with exchange? Or do I have to completely reset the device?

ugaco07

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an older thread that I am bumping but it is relevant to my question at hand. I just got an ipad2 and I set up my gmail using the "gmail" setup on the ipad. Apparantly from the above posters, I should have used exchange so it would sync my calendar and contacts and so I can "delete" emails.

Can I remove the "gmail" setup I did and re-setup with exchange? Or do I have to completely reset the device?

1. With it setup as a Gmail account you can sync calendars and delete messages. Go into your account settings and make sure the Archive Messages button is clicked off.

2. Yes. You can remove the Gmail setup and then add the Exchange without resetting the device. Just go into the account settings and hit Delete Account at the bottom.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad