Thinking about getting an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Thinking about buying an iPhone to try it out. Reason for this is because i have been an avid apple hater for some time, but I have never actually owned an Apple product (except for an iPod Classic). Which iPhone should I get (probably will get an iPhone 4S).

I am starting this thread, because I want to know why are you an Apple hater and if have you actually owned an Apple product to justify your hate.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
iPhone haters are like Justin Beiber. haters.

Never owned/Listened. iPhone isn't as good as it sounds though. People say its better then Android, but Android has like, 500+ Devices, while iPhone has about 1-1½ year(s) to work on one device while HTC, LG, Motorola, Zte, etc.... release new pphones like every 1-2 months.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I personally wouldn't rock an Apple product but I've bought a few for my wife. Frankly, the way I see it is if you want something that just works, go Apple.

I prefer Android's versatility and the choice offered by its manufacturers, but it does need some more babysitting and research to get the max out of an Android device. Of course, for my needs, the max of an iOS product is not enough, while the max of an Android product is much more satisfying :D

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I personally wouldn't rock an Apple product but I've bought a few for my wife. Frankly, the way I see it is if you want something that just works, go Apple.

I prefer Android's versatility and the choice offered by its manufacturers, but it does need some more babysitting and research to get the max out of an Android device. Of course, for my needs, the max of an iOS product is not enough, while the max of an Android product is much more satisfying :D

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I Never saw a maxxed out iphone:cool:

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4S, an iPad 2 and an iMac at my house. It was basically me wrapping my wife into the Apple ecosystem, which she can understand and enjoy. Meanwhile I still build a Windows PC every couple of years, plan to get a Linux box put together one of these days, and enjoy my Android platform. In my head, the whole thing still kind of boils down to the "mac guy" vs. the "PC guy".

The iPhone is a nice piece of hardware, and the OS is polished, powerful, and simple all at the same time. Most of the time, it just plain works without the need for major tinkering. It's also incredibly boring (to me). It really comes down to what you like to do with your smartphone. Right now, my biggest issue with the iPhone is the screen size. After using my E4GT for 6+ months, I will have a hard time EVER going back to a smaller screen.

I'm definitely not an Apple "hater". I simply prefer Android, as it's more in tune with how I like to integrate myself with technology.

dr_elusive

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
My work bought me a verizon iPhone. I hated it. Compared to my epic touch it was so tiny and honestly i found it Harder to use. Lucky for me that the phone died after only 1 week (i swear i did not sabotage or drop the thing). The radio died so they let me trade it for a razr maxx that is MUCH better then the iphone. I do have to say though between the moto and the sammy. I like the sammy better.

Dr.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
iPhone was the worst typing experience I have had on a phone. The only reason to get one is to validate yourself with the 'cool' crowd or get any one of the 57000 accessories they make for it, or if you really like standing in lines on release day for a device that is a marginal improvement over the last generation .....but looks exactly the same.

I call iPhone the Barbie phone-that b-rhymes with itch has everything.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
iPhone was the worst typing experience I have had on a phone. The only reason to get one is to validate yourself with the 'cool' crowd or get any one of the 57000 accessories they make for it, or if you really like standing in lines on release day for a device that is a marginal improvement over the last generation .....but looks exactly the same.

I call iPhone the Barbie phone-that b-rhymes with itch has everything.

I agree with the typing part. After using android since the g1, the iPhone is horrible with the stock keyboard. Its way too small for me. Hate when my mom needs my help to do something on it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the Samsung Galaxy ll Epic 4G Touch for about 1 month and was dying for the iPhone release on Sprint I had the 4S the first day and after 2 sent it back and got back my Samsung. Without a long explanation the iPhone is simply too small of a screen 1/3 the front is bezel, and BORING!!!

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the typing part. After using android since the g1, the iPhone is horrible with the stock keyboard. Its way too small for me. Hate when my mom needs my help to do something on it

I wrote a forum post from my daughter's, one of the worst experiences I've had, so bad I was fantasizing about using it for a clay pigeon.

PULL! twirl-twirl-twirl BAM-BAM

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I had the Samsung Galaxy ll Epic 4G Touch for about 1 month and was dying for the iPhone release on Sprint I had the 4S the first day and after 2 sent it back and got back my Samsung. Without a long explanation the iPhone is simply too small of a screen 1/3 the front is bezel, and BORING!!!

I had a person on another forum who told me 'They made it so easy a trained monkey could use it'.

I thanked him for identifying his demographic.

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the posts, I will probably get an iPhone 5 when it comes out (as a secondary phone maybe to use when going out of the country) but definitely not as my primary.

I just want to use it for some time to see how it works. While i am writing this post actually i have the work phone which is an iPhone 3gs that no one uses. Too small and the device screams noob. So I will probably get and if i dont like it sell it on ebay for ridiculous amount of cash.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
My last three phones have been Android, and I've been debating on staying or switching. For some reason I can type better on the iPhone keyboard.
I like the customization of Android, free voice navigation, and the ability to side load apps that have been pulled.
I also like being able to use my phone in Mass Storage Mode, and being able to download and store any type off file on my phone I choose. I'd hate to give all that up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
My last three phones have been Android, and I've been debating on staying or switching. For some reason I can type better on the iPhone keyboard.
I like the customization of Android, free voice navigation, and the ability to side load apps that have been pulled.
I also like being able to use my phone in Mass Storage Mode, and being able to download and store any type off file on my phone I choose. I'd hate to give all that up.

The iPhone has way better auto correct and touch recognition. Even though its smaller, it does a better job for me than any android keyboard has.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone has way better auto correct and touch recognition. Even though its smaller, it does a better job for me than any android keyboard has.

Very true. The text prediction on my iPod touch is so much better than keyboards I've tried on Android.
I'll have to deal with it, because I can do so much more on my Android. Some of my favorite apps are crippled and have less features on iPhone, in comparison to Android. For example, the Dropbox app has a lot more features on Android in comparison to the one for iPhone.

alestex

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying a 4S for about a week after using several Android models. I was debating between the 4S and the Skyrocket (leaning toward the SR). Decided to try the 4S and if I didn't like in the first 30 days return it.

Cons: Screen is excruciatingly small (as expected). If I wasn't used to using SWYPE the keyboard wouldn't seem as bad, but it does. Tried MapQuest for voice navigation--not even close to Google. I keep tinkering with the phone as I'm used to doing with an Android trying to customize it--not possible (without major work). Data speed seems slower than the HSPA+ Android phone I was using--maybe subjective, but my perception.

Pros: Build quality is excellent--feels solid. Synchronizing to-do's, notes and calendars on phone and iPad is good, but I could do this anyway with Google. Downloading purchased music was nice, but a lot of my music was uploaded via CD's which can't be transferred. Siri--no better than Google Voice other than the cutesy chat. Battery life is better, but apples versus oranges (no pun intended).

Bottom line: I tried it, but 4S doesn't impress me for how I use. I'll be getting a Skyrocket or One X within the next few weeks...

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I love smartphones. I'm not exclusively Android. While I much prefer Android, this isn't a high school pep rally for me. I don't understand people who pick sides and fight to the death for their OS/product/whatever. It's petty. If you're a genuine fan of smartphone technology, you should be able to see the attributes and flaws in all devices.

I've owned Apple, RIM, and Android.

I love the variety and freedom of Android, but I honestly think the iPhone is better for a lot of 'normal' users. People who just want a fluid, reliable, simple experience? Go with the iPhone.

Even though, I'm a huge Android fan, I am going to consider the iPhone 5. If I can get past some of the issues I have:

1) Screen size: if the next iPhone doesn't have at least a 4" screen, I will probably pass.

2) Non-removable battery: this is a huge deal for me, personally. But, it appears this is the way of the future with phones. May not have a choice in a year or two

3) Total lack of customization. I would prefer to be able to make widgets and organize my screens as I like.

#1 and #2 are hard to look past. #3 I would be willing to sacrifice for a more flawless experience.

I love reading about Androids and such, but when it comes down to it, I don't root my phones or anything techie. So the iPhone is still on my radar.

I would certainly be open to the Lumia 900 too, if Verizon carried it.

-mcskipp

acadialover

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been a mac user for many years. When it was time for a smart phone, I of course chose the iphone. simple , easy to use ., syncs with everything I own flawlessly.
However, tried out the Epic 4G and haven't looked back. I love the large screen and is probably the biggest factor as I take allot of video and photo's daily. THere is no comparison when watching video or even reading on the web. Love the color, and the fun in fixing things the way I like them . I do have to use 2 hands to use this phone, but it is worth it. Will try ip5 if the screen is at least 4 in.
Because I am on snow leopard, I am still able to upload directly into iphoto.

rharris166

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I bought my wife an iPad 2 for mothers day. I've been messing around on it since then and I hate it. I have an iPhone that my work gave me too and have always hated it. When I get back to my personal galaxy nexus it's like I'm in the good zone! Ipad is very restrictive just like the iPhone. I like the android apps way better too. More free useful apps and you can get apps that change your user experiance. The only reason I bought her the iPad is because she is technologically challenged and because I got it for 369.00.

You do what you want but you will see a huge difference. I've come to the conclusion that apple is a very good marketing company that happens to sell mobile devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund