1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Talk me off the iPhone 4 ledge

Hello Android users. I'm asking you to convince me not to pre-order the iPhone 4 tomorrow. I need a new phone soon, and unfortunately, only Sprint and AT&T get a signal at my house (Verizon is totally dead, T-mobile is not an option). I was all set to get an Evo, but now quality issues are giving me second thoughts. My current phone is an awful HTC Mogul. This phone has some real problems. The external buttons stopped working one by one. I eventually got it replaced, and the speaker on the new phone makes a horrible crackling noise. Battery life is now down to 45 minutes unplugged. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Are there any other options? Perhaps, the Samsung Galaxy Pro. I fear that if I wait for this phone it will turn out to be another Samsung dud. I really don't want to get an iPhone. I've never owned an Apple product (not even an Ipod). Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by VLCAD View Post
    Hello Android users. I'm asking you to convince me not to pre-order the iPhone 4 tomorrow. I need a new phone soon, and unfortunately, only Sprint and AT&T get a signal at my house (Verizon is totally dead, T-mobile is not an option). I was all set to get an Evo, but now quality issues are giving me second thoughts. My current phone is an awful HTC Mogul. This phone has some real problems. The external buttons stopped working one by one. I eventually got it replaced, and the speaker on the new phone makes a horrible crackling noise. Battery life is now down to 45 minutes unplugged. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Are there any other options? Perhaps, the Samsung Galaxy Pro. I fear that if I wait for this phone it will turn out to be another Samsung dud. I really don't want to get an iPhone. I've never owned an Apple product (not even an Ipod). Please help.
    Just to clarify. What quality issues are you talking about?

I've had my Evo since launch day and have had no problems. I don't know what "issues" you're talking about. its 2010 not whenever HTC made the Mogul. They know what they're doing, and they make good hardware.

First of all EVO is first gen phone, you will always have someone with issues, did everyone forget the first iPhone? Or the first Palm Pre last year, well HTC is not Palmm thank g-d for that. But EVO is still first gen phone.

VLCAD you have to ask yourself few simple question, what do you want your phone to do for you. I love my EVO even if iPhone came to Sprint it be a very difficult choice for me to make one what to get, but thats the issue here. Look at the new iPhone 4 they are just now giving you the option to make folders, while this option is old in Android, this is just one of the things that is coming from Apple. You just have to ask yourself do you want elegance(iPhone) or do you want to be a power user(Android). And the phone has to fit your life style and not your life style fit the phone. No one here can tell you what to get, we all have different needs and do different things with the phone. I personally like the freedom to customize my phone, either with hacks or what HTC gives, but thats me, plus I dont like to be told that i cant do this or i cant do that, with the iPhone this is what you get, locked environment. But iPhone has tons of apps, and Android is not that far back. Both phones has pros and cons. No perfect phone no matter how the iphone fan boy make it seem that the iphone is perfect. It is up to you, me personally i get the EVO and not follow the masses. Wish you best of luck in what ever you get. Plus dont forget if you live in 4G area that is huge plus and if you are like me and dont live in 4G area dont worry 4G will be there by end of year.

Global Posts
    4,500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

I would have to agree with joek1971 on this one. It really depends on what you want from a phone and once you know that your decision would be easy. I'm personally not a fan of the iPhone as I think that it's all hype. The iPhone is not without its flaws like any other device. I would personally go for the EVO.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank you all for your responses.

theeroopable- There are many reports of of the screen separating from the device causing light to leak. Also, some of the phones seem to be improperly grounded leading to touchscreen tracking issues. While any manufacturer will have some defective devices, when the same issues are popping up repeatedly it points to some underlying flaw.

Rudementry- My HTC Mogul is from 2008. Not exactly the distant past. I was hoping that they improved quality, but recent reports may suggest otherwise.

joek1971- While I'm less likely to criticize HTC for having problems with a 1st gen phone, I also don't really want to have to deal with those problems myself. I also wouldn't want to have dealt with the issues of the 1st gen iPhone. I think the problem with HTC is that they have dozens of phones that are almost all 1st generation.

VDub2174- I really don't want to have to go with Apple. Apple fanboys creep me out. They act like it is a privilege to buy any product Jobs decides to give them. I'm for choice and openness. However, I don't believe that the iPhone is all hype... only about 80%. The remaining 20% is a solid, well-thought-out phone. Maybe it is a good thing for a phone to not be bleeding edge. Apple actually has good reasoning for limited multitasking and no Flash (battery life). However, they have less than noble reasoning for some of the other limitations such as a lack of Google Voice.
    GenericMessage

It really doesn't matter what we say.

Most of us are going to tell you to go Android, or we're going to try to be civil and say to go with the iPhone.

Honestly, I think you've had your mind made up

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

I wouldn't touch a Iphone with a 10ft pole.

One simple reason, The carrier sucks majorly. You will overpay AT&T for the same experience sprint can provide for less. The EVO issues ? I have had mine since launch day with no issues. I would say they are here and there, but Sprint is very good about getting a replacement should you need one.

Besides you have 30 days to Try Sprint out, hassle free, dont like the service or device ? Just return it within your 30days, no charges. AT&T will charge you for the service you used.
    Want to video chat on Fring ? Read the How-To guide here :
    How-To Video Chat on Fring !

If you need someone to help you test Fring out find yourself a Fring buddie here !
    Fring Buddies

I used to hate Apple, but they are pretty good about their consumers and their developers.
    Sometimes I like the customization on Android, and other times I just want all my icons side by side ready to go.

The inner techie makes me want an Android phone, and other times I would rather be like "eh" and give me an Iphone... I want all those games that they offer.

However, I don't think I can go back to a smaller screen.
    And don't forget Froyo... that should help out the gaming and speed on the Evo.

But I would pick it solely on carrier. If you like AT&T then I would go for them.
    However, I love Sprint and have been with them for like 10 years. They have great speeds and great 3g coverage and upcoming 4g (though I don't live in an area that provides it).
    Plus every time my sister comes over AT&T always puts her iphone on Edge...

Edit: Oh, no issues here. I can't reproduce the spreen unresponsiveness and all those other things... no bleed, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by VLCAD View Post
    Thank you all for your responses.

theeroopable- There are many reports of of the screen separating from the device causing light to leak. Also, some of the phones seem to be improperly grounded leading to touchscreen tracking issues. While any manufacturer will have some defective devices, when the same issues are popping up repeatedly it points to some underlying flaw.
    There are also many people, on this very forum, who have reported that they have had no issue. Not to mention the other thousand of people who don't report good experiences. Here's the thing, you can't truly base your decision about what phone YOU are going to use in YOUR everyday life, off someone elses opinion or problems.

Some people will drop the phone, and then say it's a defect of HTC because the glass popped off too easily, or some similar problem. Not everyone who gets these phones knows how to use them.

I'd say get the EVO because Sprint offers the 30 day "trial period". If it has the defects you mentioned above, then return it and be on your merry way to your new iPhone. If not, then enjoy your new Android phone.