• 1 Post By NickA
  • 1 Post By Chetan Takyar
  • 1 Post By snookasnoo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Apple has hit a new low

I laughed at Apple so hard.
    afazel likes this.

Default Re: Apple has hit a new low

Wouldn't it be more tedious redoing all their maps rather than just updating Google's? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my HTC One X
    OnePalmAddict likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

They're not though, they're making their own. If they were really so innovating they wouldn't need former employees from the maker of their main competing mobile OS to do it.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/ 4.1.1 (both)

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    They're not though, they're making their own. If they were really so innovating they wouldn't need former employees from the maker of their main competing mobile OS to do it.
    Their technology has the potential to be better than Google Maps. Hiring people who know what they're doing isn't a sign of anything else other than "we're taking this seriously". I know this is an Android forum, so tee-hee it's funny to say bad things about Apple, but I don't see how this is a "new low". They're recognizing that they have a problem and they're fixing it. That's the responsible thing to do.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That's how it works. Google has hired people from Microsoft, Yahoo and other places. Where do you think Google's director of UX for Android came from? You bring people in that are experts in their field, no shame in that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Default Apple has hit a new low

Quote Originally Posted by MangoPowah View Post
    Wouldn't it be more tedious redoing all their maps rather than just updating Google's? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my HTC One X
    Their contract with Google expired. Also, I heard Google wouldn't update the iPhone's maps app and YouTube app.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10+Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    Their contract with Google expired. Also, I heard Google wouldn't update the iPhone's maps app and YouTube app.
    Google makes money from those apps I doubt that. I think apple just wants there own apps nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    4,243 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Microsoft recruited Borland engineers for their Developer Tools Division, and scored one of the biggest poachings for .NET/C#. They innovated, and steamrolled Borland's developer tools divison.

This happens all the time. Poaching employees or hiring ex-employees with the experience and/or expertise in a certain area is something that commonly happens in the tech industry, as well as many others. Yahoo! hired an ex-Google executive as their new CEO. That's the same thing. Why not, if they're good enough to get the job done?

There was no way Apple could have gotten Turn by Turn Navigation with Voice Guidance on the iPhone using Google Maps. Google prohibits that on all non-Android, Google-sanctioned Operating Systems. It's pretty simple. So people really should be ing at Google and not Apple, who had no choice but to rip out Google Maps if they wanted to give iOS users what they've been clamoring for for years now. Name me one platform other than Android with Google Maps Navigation with VG-TBT Navigation. There are none.

Rock, meet hard place.

Either:

1. Maps suck lololol crApple maps, or
    2. Lol, still can't do VG-TBT Navigation like literally every other OS on the market in 2013 lololol crApple maps.

At least they are willing to take the risk and acquire the necessary talent to improve, like any decent company should be. It really isn't good to be dependent on direct competitors for something as fundamental as mapping in a mobile operating system. Components is one thing. Software tech like mapping is something other. Everyone could see this coming a long time ago just going by Apple's acquisitions, so I dunno why it's a surprise, and the quality of their maps are at least equivalent to what Bing Maps were on Windows Phone 7 so that's not a HUGE issue if you have any clue how mapping technology works.

If Google doesn't want VG-TBT Nav on iOS, then why should Apple make it that easy to harvest their user's location data, YouTube data, etc.? We all know how Google felt about Verizon putting Bing (which isn't even close to being as bad as half the complainers would profess - the UI in their apps is actually miles ahead of Google's equivalent apps) on Android devices.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    That's how it works. Google has hired people from Microsoft, Yahoo and other places. Where do you think Google's director of UX for Android came from? You bring people in that are experts in their field, no shame in that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Sadly, there are some that are just so anti-Apple that they don't see how the real world actually works.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

I think you just hit a new low because you dont understand business.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    I think you just hit a new low because you dont understand business.
    Cool story bro.

First you are trolling. Second Google also hires people away from other companies. Third Apple maps are just fine as anyone who uses it regularly can attest to. It has some advantages over Google Maps. Are you aware that Google Maps on iOS has new features before they are on Android? Oh yes..because even for Google iOS is where the money is.

iPhone 5s-Verizon
    Moto X Verizon
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 10
    iPad Air-Verizon
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by snookasnoo View Post
    First you are trolling. Second Google also hires people away from other companies. Third Apple maps are just fine as anyone who uses it regularly can attest to. It has some advantages over Google Maps. Are you aware that Google Maps on iOS has new features before they are on Android? Oh yes..because even for Google iOS is where the money is.
    Even apple admitted their maps project was a blunder. I don't know why they don't just add back in Google maps. It is already extremely well established and far more advanced than apple maps.

I'll remember to use apple maps the next time I want to find a store at the bottom of a lake.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snookasnoo View Post
    Uh nice bump.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Even apple admitted their maps project was a blunder.
    Yes they did. And they're trying to fix it by hiring map experts like people that have worked on Google maps. Luring experts from your competitors to make your products better is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    I don't know why they don't just add back in Google maps. It is already extremely well established and far more advanced than apple maps.

I'll remember to use apple maps the next time I want to find a store at the bottom of a lake.
    That's all business. Maps (and YouTube) were up. Apple and Google either couldn't agree on a new deal or one or both didn't want to renegotiate. Plus Google Maps is now in the App Store so it really doesn't matter.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

they just need to make everything their own