Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Default Re: Short review of the iPhone 5, coming from the Razr Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    I did jail break it, was fun, but quite honestly, I like it just the way it is at this point.
    Can you WiFi tether for free if you don't jail break it?
    I voided my warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    Can you WiFi tether for free if you don't jail break it?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    Yes.
    I don't think you can on Verizon or ATT.
    I voided my warranty.

I don't think you can on Verizon or ATT.
    Not the iPhones fault. I get to use my data the way I want to, if I get 512MB I use it for anything.

Not the iPhones fault. I get to use my data the way I want to, if I get 512MB I use it for anything.
    yes, apple puts the functionality to block this on the carrier phones here in the US.
    I voided my warranty.

yes, apple puts the functionality to block this on the carrier phones here in the US.
    Uhhh no your carriers block this functionality I have an iPhone 5 and I have no crappy limits like that.

Uhhh no your carriers block this functionality I have an iPhone 5 and I have no crappy limits like that.
    yes and apple cooperates by installing the ability to do that on the iPhones.
    I voided my warranty.

yes and apple cooperates by installing the ability to do that on the iPhones.
    Well you see, our carriers don't do that type of **** , I can say I CAN TETHER WITHOUT A DIFFERENT PLAN, please understand it is your carriers NOT, NOT, NOT,NOT APPLE.

Well you see, our carriers don't do that type of **** , I can say I CAN TETHER WITHOUT A DIFFERENT PLAN, please understand it is your carriers NOT, NOT, NOT,NOT APPLE.
    Don't be so dense. The carriers can't do anything to an iPhone without apple. Apple modifies the OS.

Anyhow, I have had enough of your obnoxiousness. On ignore list you go.
    I voided my warranty.

Don't be so dense. The carriers can't do anything to an iPhone without apple. Apple modifies the OS.

Then why can I tether ?

that's funny since I get carrier updates on my Verizon iphone from the carrier and not apple themselves. Don't speak of something you know nothing about. The carrier blocks it not Apple and that is 100% fact. There's a reason why you call the network to set up the hotspot feature and not apple.

Its funny when people say "biased" or "defensive"
    to be honest Im sure most people have never owner every Iphone or android phone... (since every android manufacturer is different)

with that Said I have only owned android phones. (HTC and Samsung) I have never owned an apple product. I have messed with my close friends Iphone5, and we even battled it out.
    I currently have a HTC one S. Its a good phone and almost a year old now. Yet it still hung with his phone.

and then I realized. I just want my phone to work, make phone calls, and text people.
    its basically the decision of toyota camery = Iphone or suped up 454 big block camero = Android. (they both work but one is more customization than the other)

If I want my phone to look like an Iphone I can. With almost every aspect. but Iphones cannot look like android (mannerisms) the only thing they can do is (theme) jailbreak.
    and for me... that is not enough.

I see no hard feelings. Thanks for your post. and good luck with your phone.
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->
    Thanked by:
    srmojuze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by apollooff320 View Post
    that's funny since I get carrier updates on my Verizon iphone from the carrier and not apple themselves. Don't speak of something you know nothing about. The carrier blocks it not Apple and that is 100% fact. There's a reason why you call the network to set up the hotspot feature and not apple.
    Thank you for the truth.

Then why can I tether ?
    If you are on the old Verizon unlimited plan, you can't tether unless 1) you pay VZW for the hotspot option or 2) you jailbreak and install an app like TetherMe.

If you are on a shared data plan, then yes, mobile hotspot is enabled by default.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    If you are on the old Verizon unlimited plan, you can't tether unless 1) you pay VZW for the hotspot option or 2) you jailbreak and install an app like TetherMe.

If you are on a shared data plan, then yes, mobile hotspot is enabled by default.
    I don't live in the US, my carrier doesnt care what I use my data for so it IS the carriers fault.

I don't live in the US, my carrier doesnt care what I use my data for so it IS the carriers fault.
    In a sense, it can be construed as Apple's fault if they allow the carriers to mess around with their default settings. They are able to block telcos from installing their own bloatware, but apparently had to cave in when it came to features like tethering (got it a full 6 months after I got my ipad) and facetime (I can only surmise why it only worked over wireless when apps like viber and skype already work over 3g, and jailbreak proved that it wasn't due to any hardware limitations).

I guess Apple still doesn't have as much clout as they would have people believe.

Quote Originally Posted by abazigal View Post
    In a sense, it can be construed as Apple's fault if they allow the carriers to mess around with their default settings. They are able to block telcos from installing their own bloatware, but apparently had to cave in when it came to features like tethering (got it a full 6 months after I got my ipad) and facetime (I can only surmise why it only worked over wireless when apps like viber and skype already work over 3g, and jailbreak proved that it wasn't due to any hardware limitations).

I guess Apple still doesn't have as much clout as they would have people believe.
    Maybe the US carriers are to controlling?

Maybe the US carriers are to controlling?
    They definitely have their own bottom line to think off. Since facetime was integrated right into the phone app (people are much more likely to think of going right into facetime via an incoming call than make a conscious decision to launch Skype), the likelihood of people making voice calls via facetime could be greater, which in turn threatened their calling/sms revenue.

Here, my iphone came with tethering, but thanks to a combination of slow speeds and crap coverage, I don't come anywhere near to busting the seemingly 'generous' 12gb limit my data plan came with (average 1gb / month).

Quote Originally Posted by abazigal View Post
    They definitely have their own bottom line to think off. Since facetime was integrated right into the phone app (people are much more likely to think of going right into facetime via an incoming call than make a conscious decision to launch Skype), the likelihood of people making voice calls via facetime could be greater, which in turn threatened their calling/sms revenue.

Here, my iphone came with tethering, but thanks to a combination of slow speeds and crap coverage, I don't come anywhere near to busting the seemingly 'generous' 12gb limit my data plan came with (average 1gb / month).
    Wow that's bad.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

I miss Android...
    If i have ever helped you, please do not forget to hit Thanks

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

If you need directions on how to clear your Cache, i have a write up HERE

I miss Android...
    Why do you miss Android? I've been thinking of switching to apple, I have an ipad and it's very responsive. I was wondering if you miss having the notification light? That is one thing that I think I would miss the most.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #72  
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

if i could have the customization of android, with the "everything just works" of Apple, id have the perfect phone...
    If i have ever helped you, please do not forget to hit Thanks

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

If you need directions on how to clear your Cache, i have a write up HERE

if i could have the customization of android, with the "everything just works" of Apple, id have the perfect phone...
    Good luck with that one. Personally I'm gonna go back to my iPhone 5.

- - - Updated - - -

I miss Android...
    Jailbreak.

Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Rom

Good luck with that one. Personally I'm gonna go back to my iPhone 5.

- - - Updated - - -

Jailbreak.
    You're leaving android? You were a strong defender of the OS as far as I've seen.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by elvisgp View Post
    You're leaving android? You were a strong defender of the OS as far as I've seen.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Well I'm conflicted. iOS is stupidly boring but it works better with my other Apple products. No I am staying with my N4, can't go back to iOS as my main device ever again.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast