Android/iPhone = Windows/Mac?

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Just figured I would throw this out there from a historical standpoint for discussion. Please keep in mind this is not a "mine is better than yours" thread, just an observational viewpoint to spark a little conversation :cool:

Go back to the late 80's early 90's when Mac was pretty much the thing to get in modern computing. They released regular updates on their products, gave you a lot of bang for your computing buck....they were expen$ive as hell, but you didn't have to learn DOS commands and all kinds of programming languages and purchase textbooks to figure out how to get INTO a word processing program, then read another textbook on how to use it. Mac was simple, you turned it on, clicked on an icon and you were in your program and good to go. The GUI was so simple to use, but you could only purchase it on a Mac. You could not use that OS on any other hardware and there was nothing else available out there that came close to it......until......

Along came Windows. It made personal computing MUCH easier to use....AND you could load it on just about any computer. You paid a pretty good premium to purchase it, but it turned your current PC into something far less frustrating and far more useable than what you were used to. As it got better it made computing more approachable. It wasn't as hard to use a computer anymore. It was no longer scary, lol. Windows made it so you could choose just about any brand on the market and know how to use it out of the box. Eventually the computers you purchased offered Windows preinstalled. As computer prices decreased, more and more people purchased them and before you knew it there was a computer in most every household. Unfortunately Mac prices stayed put, I remember being told Macs were more for graphic artists and PC's were for business and everyday use. Mac Marketshare plummetted. It was a shame because the brand that invented personal computing almost disappeared because of Personal Computers....go figure.

They hung in there though and they reinvented the smartphone. iPhone was a top of the line, state of the art, premium phone that did everything you needed it to. It was easy to use, and if you couldn't do something you wanted it to, you could download an app that could MAKE your phone do what you wanted it to. There was no other phone nor phone OS in the market like it. Any current smartphones were basically PDA's with a phone, iPhone was something different and much better. The problem? You could not use iPhone's OS on any other device OR Network and unless you hacked into it you could only buy from one spot. Either way, nothing could come close to it...until.....

Along came Android. It started small and slow, and after a few upgrades you could purchase a number of devices with it. You could purchase one with or without a keyboard, you could purchase larger or smaller screens, it is so open and adaptable, it has shown like PC's previously, Smartphones are not scary, I knew it was arriving when I saw my non tech savvy girlfriend purchase an Ally, and my completely non tech savvy friend also purchase an Incredible.....naturally the story is playing itself out before our eyes. When I read that they took the number one spot in quarter 2, I thought to myself, history certainly repeats itself.

So opening it up for discussion, do you see Android being the Windows of now? How do you see the future playing out in the smartphone arena?

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
This has to do with the HTC INCREDIBLE how?

This is ANDROID Central, no? And which OS does Incredible use? Was it a bad thing to spark up a little friendly discussion? Or did I need to have a problem to post about my Incredible?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I think what cm40 was saying was it should have been posted in the general discussion forum because its for all Android devices not just the Incredible.

I will move it there for you :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38