iOS 7 vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I must be on the wrong website because I've only seen a couple of people here make that claim. I think you put way too much stock in one man's opinions. That's the real root of the problem with your stance.

Since he's actually used KLP, his opinion is pretty much the only one you can put stock in.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
The people who say Android is still ahead.

All iOS points have been debunked. iOS7 adds new features for once (and that is definitely progress), but they are features already present on Android. No one has given an example of a new feature Android does not already have.

Widgets? 3rd party app integration? iOS has a ways to go yet.
No, I think iOS 7 and Android are equal.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Since he's actually used KLP, his opinion is pretty much the only one you can put stock in.

Presumably you understand that he's also probably used 4.2.2, just like most of the people here and he's reached an entirely different conclusion than them about the relative subjective value of that build to iOS7 based on what he and other users have seen about it thus far. It's actually very foolish to put stock in anyone's opinions on subjective matters, (you should choose for yourself what you like) unless you're saying he believes the functionality of iOS7 to surpass Android 4.anything, in which case his credibility and yours are shot.

I'm not clear on exactly where the gap is for you, but there's only so many ways that people can say that they disagree with you about whether or not iOS7 is "better" than Android 4.anything, and thus beginning from your perspective in a "logical" battle about the relative worth of a future build, which you agree is incrementally better than, or at least equal to the current build, is the root of the problem.

To put it in analogy, you're opinion is that you like vanilla ice cream, while others like chocolate. Because you feel vanilla is better, no matter how much chocolate improves, it can't surpass vanilla. But without having any actual evidence to the superiority of vanilla, you can't claim for all of the people who disagree that they are wrong, just like we can't say you don't like vanilla better. You have to remember, the opposition already finds chocolate superior, therefore an improvement in chocolate would just increase the margin of victory. This analogy is fairly accurate because it speaks to the preference for flavor (subjective), and not nutritional value (objective), etc.

If you want to claim iOS is better, you have to either admit that it's only your opinion, shared by only those who agree with you, not a fact.. or you have to support it with reasons that it is in fact better objectively. Since you have done neither, no matter the prestige of people who happen to agree with you, there is no logical discussion to be had. Again, this person's opinion on a subjective issue, without any objective argument, is just another opinion.

It's really easy for just about everyone else to say that their opinion is an opinion.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
On Android you can decide on a per-app basis what you want to update automatically. Android has had background tasks for years.

I don't see this option on my Nexus 4. thing is iOS has it automatically we don't have to manage it ourselves.
Android has as many folders as you want...just install another launcher. On iOS you are stuck with whatever limits Apple imposes on you, because you cannot upgrade the launcher. I have never run into any limits with Nova Launcher for example.
Of course...folders are a lot less necessary on Android. Because all your icons live in the app drawer...the only ones you want to see on the desktop are the ones you put there yourself. There is no need to group crap into folders to get it out of your way on Android.

Umm no you are not understanding me. There is a limit of apps you can put in a folder in my N4. iOS 7 has unlimited apps in folders.
All of that can be done via widgets on Android already. Even from the lock screen. Stock widgets seem to be standard on virtually every Android phone now. In fact, any Apple feature could be added directly to the lock screen on Android.
Today view is nothing like widgets. It's more like Google Now.
Android can. Because Android's UI is not written in stone as Apple's is. Android can therefore literally be all things to all people where the UI is concerned.
I never customise much,doesn't apply to me.
(It can even copy Apple)

Android has allowed you to do that from the notification drawer since...well...forever.
Control centre has more toggles then quick settings on my N4 I'm not talking about 3rd party toggles. Plus Control centre has quick app launch quick tiles doesn't.

Oh yeah, that is something Android has never had.

Oh, wait a minute:

Hmmm...I am guessing it is not even the only app that can do that.
Thats third party NOT STOCK. and Samsung dos not use stock software, comparing stock to stock Android doesn't have that.
A lot of your "features" seem to be things that Android has already had for years. I think it is great that iOS is finally catching up, but this is not a reason the platform is better. It is just less-worse-than-Android than it was before. Adding features that the competition has already had for years does not make the platform better than the competition.
Thats your opinion. out of your USA we hardly get other services and I believe iOS to be equal to Android.

Google ALSO has panorama, and has had it on all Android phones for years. Photosphere is like Panorama Plus.
i know.
I skipped your Safari argument because, well, Google already trounces Apple there too. Even if you don't like Chrome there are several different browsers to choose from. And thanks to Google's 3rd party app integration, ANY of them can be made your default. You are not stuck with Chrome if you don't like it. 3rd party app integration is a huge feature that iOS is likely never to get.
I DONT CARE. Safari is much faster then Chrome no doubt. Safari has just as many features, more so then chrome.
...that some might call stealing.

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/year-of-the-copycats.jpeg

But I guess the addition of an Apple logo converts stealing to "inspiration" eh?
You mean like how Project butter was a "copy" of iOS's basic fluidity?stop throwing that around word around like that[/B].

Answers in bold. without customisation Android wouldn't have much of a chance IMO.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Umm no you are not understanding me. There is a limit of apps you can put in a folder in my N4. iOS 7 has unlimited apps in folders.
That's completely wrong. I can put unlimited apps in folders on my N4. iOS has more limitations on folders.

I never customise much,doesn't apply to me.
So you're saying these advantages of Android don't exist because you don't customize much? It doesn't matter whether or not you use them, the advantages are there.

Control centre has more toggles then quick settings on my N4 I'm not talking about 3rd party toggles. Plus Control centre has quick app launch quick tiles doesn't.
Why aren't you talking about 3rd party toggles? Because iOS doesn't support them. You can't just exclude things because iOS doesn't have them. If you want to compare fairly, you have to compare as a whole. We're talking about iOS and Android in general, not what comes stock.

Thats third party NOT STOCK. and Samsung dos not use stock software, comparing stock to stock Android doesn't have that.
Same applies here.

Thats your opinion. out of your USA we hardly get other services and I believe iOS to be equal to Android.
How the heck is that opinion?! I don't mean to offend or insult you here, but it takes a very closed mind to say that
Adding features that the competition has already had for years does not make the platform better than the competition.
is opinion or untrue.

I DONT CARE. Safari is much faster then Chrome no doubt. Safari has just as many features, more so then chrome.
So when Jeff lists a whole bunch of Chrome advantages, you just say "i don't care" and act as if you've disproven him?! Smh, I think I'll stop before I get too worked up and, in consequence, get myself something I don't want.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think I will wait and see, instead of relying on a one off post in a tweet stream responding to someone knocking iOS. Is that all you have to hang your hat on?

That's fair. I'll put stock in his opinion, based on what he's provided in the past, in the meantime.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
That's fair. I'll put stock in his opinion, based on what he's provided in the past, in the meantime.

So you seriously are taking your whole argument and iOS7 vs. KLP world view from that one single sentence in that one tweet? I mean, did he do some sort of blog post, or post some kind of analysis? Or was he just spouting off to some fandroid?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's totally 100% okay for someone to say, "I like _____ better" and if they buy whatever _____ is, unless there is a specific feature that they need and it doesn't have, they were exactly correct in how they did it. That doesn't make _____ better for anyone else by default. Even if 99% of people agree that _____ is better for them, the remaining 1%, so long as they're being honest, are correct in preferring something else.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So you seriously are taking your whole argument and iOS7 vs. KLP world view from that one single sentence in that one tweet? I mean, did he do some sort of blog post, or post some kind of analysis? Or was he just spouting off to some fandroid?

I see no problem in someone trusting, in the absence of the opportunity to make their own determination, in the opinions of someone who's opinions they typically agree with and respect. The only issue I saw was the assumption that those opinions had transcended subjectivity to become universal fact.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I see no problem in someone trusting in the opinions of someone who's opinions they typically agree with and respect. The only issue I saw was the assumption that those opinions had transcended subjectivity to become universal fact.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think, after having read that entire twitter stream, that JHB3 is putting an awful lot of weight on a casual back and forth on twitter. If he had some further information, such as from this Mr. Panda's blog or other conversations that would deserve more consideration, but what he is quoting seems to be a pretty off the cuff remark that was meant as a rebuff to someone complaining about apple not leading.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Not trying to be crass here but do you seriously still not get it after a bunch of us have said it over a dozen times to you? We think 4.2 is ALREADY better than iOS 7. So the only way klp could be worse is if 4.2 was also worse.

I'm pretty much at a loss to make this any easier than we already have.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

For now? Yes. Of course, that may change once Google actually announces KLP.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to be crass here but do you seriously still not get it after a bunch of us have said it over a dozen times to you? We think 4.2 is ALREADY better than iOS 7. So the only way klp could be worse is if 4.2 was also worse.

I'm pretty much at a loss to make this any easier than we already have.

Which is all well and good. Frankly I don't care.
Since none of you have used KLP, or myself, I'm trusting what he says.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
That's completely wrong. I can put unlimited apps in folders on my N4. iOS has more limitations on folders.

So you're saying these advantages of Android don't exist because you don't customize much? It doesn't matter whether or not you use them, the advantages are there.

Why aren't you talking about 3rd party toggles? Because iOS doesn't support them. You can't just exclude things because iOS doesn't have them. If you want to compare fairly, you have to compare as a whole. We're talking about iOS and Android in general, not what comes stock.

Same applies here.

How the heck is that opinion?! I don't mean to offend or insult you here, but it takes a very closed mind to say that

is opinion or untrue.

So when Jeff lists a whole bunch of Chrome advantages, you just say "i don't care" and act as if you've disproven him?! Smh, I think I'll stop before I get too worked up and, in consequence, get myself something I don't want.
Ok. safari has cross OS syncing. it's faster, it has reading lists, chrome feels slower.
I cannot put unlimited apps on my Nexus 4. I just cannot. Anyways i'm done and out. This thread is gonna cause a lot of issues please just close this.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For me there are really only 3 considerations on the "best" to become as informed as possible on the comparison:

1. Feature for feature, what does each have that the other does not?
2. What compromises have to be made to receive the extra features?
3. UI aesthetics, polish, etc. How much is hype, how much is real?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
yeah, I'm done now. there is no point because most people in this thread are saying iOS has not caught up to Android but my opinion is that it has, and in some cases exceeds it.

On that I think it's totally okay for everyone to have their own opinion on which is ahead or if they're tied, etc. And this is actually really complicated, because the execution on some features is better on one system than the other, and vice versa and these things have a LOT of features. Your opinion is valued, but I think you're right. The wall meet head banging has caused some people to get defensive and we're not making much progress on debating whatever it is we're here to talk about.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Which is all well and good. Frankly I don't care.
Since none of you have used KLP, or myself, I'm trusting what he says.

Lmao omg you really can't be...

I'm not really sure what's causing your condition here but this is what in essence you're doing, and why the rest of us are face palming at your posts:

Us: water is wet
You: No it isn't. my guy says apples are red

Status
Not open for further replies.