Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree228Likes
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,829 Global Posts

Default Re: iOS 7 vs Android

Jerry has some good thoughts up about the whole iOS 7 deal. Check it out.

Apple's iOS 7 'copied' everyone - and that's a good thing | Android Central
    Aquila and Ry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl View Post
    It looks a lot better than the previous version, but not seeing anything other than catch up attempts. Unless you think parallax is useful. Still a boring grid of apps in general.

And I get real tired of them telling me how beautiful or wonderful or really really great everything is.
    Come on man, just one sip. Just put the glass to your mouth and take that first sip. I promise it will all get better.

Quote Originally Posted by mamutarka View Post
    dont know if anyone watched apple keynote, they announced iOS7, and this is something totally new. iPhone was always the same, but not anymore, they started to compete with android I guess.

I have new N4 but now I started to think about iPhone, oh ((((

Am I the only one or?

iMore.com | The #1 Site for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV owners for more info

I know this is not iPhone forum, but I am on android and this iOS7 is really a goog competitor to android os
    But what hardware is it going to go on ? Same skinny 4 inch screen ? You can have it. I'll keep my beautiful 4.7 inch 1080 P display, and the ability to fully use the Tor network when needed.
    SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl and _X_ like this.

I was in a restaurant last week, sitting at the bar, and the guy next to me had an iPhone 5. We started talking and he put his phone next to mine, and his looked like a kid's toy compared to my N4.
    James Wong1 and B3t0 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainbob767 View Post
    I was in a restaurant last week, sitting at the bar, and the guy next to me had an iPhone 5. We started talking and he put his phone next to mine, and his looked like a kid's toy compared to my N4.
    iPhones are gorgeous devices. And they are far from toys. But the operating system is still playing catch up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    A curious distinction given the fact that you just used those improvements to say that those might drive you to iOS from your Nexus 4. If it's not better than Android, then what exactly is that based on?

Let's also remember something. iOS 7 has been announced, not released. And it won't be released for a while, at least not till Fall. By then, we will probably have Android 4.3, and depending on the iOS 7 release date, the release of Android 5.0 and the next Nexus. Apple is barely catching up - I was pleased by their iOS announcement, but they have a long way to go to catch up to Android's functionality and design. And when iOS 7 is actually released, it will lag behind Android even more than it does today.
    Not necessarily. Apple never gives away all of the features at WWDC. We'll get the full feature list at the iPhone announcement in the fall.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    11,652 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

I'm not sure it should be compared to Android. Aside from the coincidence of both being mobile operating systems, I'm not sure they're going after the same goal. The more I think about this, relative to market share, innovation, etc. the more I see these two systems as having very different outlooks on what devices are for. We've all known this to some extent, but I assume some people were like me, in thinking that they were racing to some common-ish future of technology.

I still believe 90% of Apple customers would be just as happy with Android and 89% of Android customers would be just as happy with Apple (because of their usage of the device compared with the potential of the device) but for those remaining 9% of customers, it's almost as if there is a somewhat philosophical rather than purely functional reason they are attracted to one over the other. That, at approximately 15% of the smartphone market that neither owns, it'd be interesting to see which way they'll gravitate as the gap between the top two, Android (~75%) and iOS (~19%), and the other systems (collectively about 15%) widens.

There seems to be a lot of merit to the recent comments about this not being zero-sum and I'm hoping to see more progress ala-Google, in making services more available regardless of OS, where everything just works, to adopt Apple's core competency, but with one modification - just works for everyone. I don't want to have to care if you're on iOS or Android 4.2 or WP8 in order to know how to send content your way. It just needs to work. This probably doesn't need to be a war.
    TeritorialDemon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Relative to the previous version, just multitasking for all apps makes iOS 7 more open than iOS 6.

Posted via Android Central App
    Again, good follow through to become more of a true multitasking OS, just saying, a multitasking preview doesn't make them open. iOS is not open in any capacity, not remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    How does that make the OS more open? In no way does that fall into the category of being more open haha.
    You're thinking of the wrong kind of open. We're not talking open source here, we're talking about allowing apps to have more access to system resources that were previously closed off.
    Ry likes this.

Wow.

So giving access to all apps for multitasking doesn't make iOS more open?

Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    You're thinking of the wrong kind of open. We're not talking open source here, we're talking about allowing apps to have more access to system resources that were previously closed off.
    That makes sense, a more fair assessment. My misunderstanding. I had adjusted my wording before you both quoted me, but again, misunderstanding from my end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Wow.

So giving access to all apps for multitasking doesn't make iOS more open?

Yeah.

Not what my original post was intended to be. See my prior post.

That makes sense, a more fair assessment. My misunderstanding. I had adjusted my wording before you both quoted me, but again, misunderstanding from my end.
    It's not your fault. We get so used to discussing android that when we talk open for other platforms we forget what the differences are.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Looks really beautiful but I don't see it as much more than a lovely interface with some cool new features. It still lacks the power and customizability of Android. Not saying that's what Apple is out to do... I believe Android and iOS appeal to different markets of mobile phone users.

Still don't regret jumping the iOS ship to join Android.
    _X_, Carl Sanchez, kleeno and 1 others like this.

It looks a lot better than the previous version, but not seeing anything other than catch up attempts. Unless you think parallax is useful. Still a boring grid of apps in general.

And I get real tired of them telling me how beautiful or wonderful or really really great everything is.
    Oops. I was wrong. Android already has the parallax wallpaper thing. sigh.

Oops. I was wrong. Android already has the parallax wallpaper thing. sigh.
    Its also been available via jailbreak apps too.

Its also been available via jailbreak apps too.

So, I was wrong. Didn't see any innovation then.

Global Posts
    2,836 Global Posts
    Carrier
    MIUI

Quote Originally Posted by StuMcBill View Post
    To me it doesn't really look like Stock Android.....MIUI however, I definitely see similarities there!!
    THANK YOU! All this talk about Blackberry 10 this and Peek Gesture that............this looks EXTREMELY like MIUI

Global Posts
    2,836 Global Posts
    Carrier
    MIUI

And all of that looks great, but I'm sure after a few months of looking at it, I'll grow tired of it. Especially if it lasts as long as the previous look did

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    Carrier
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Some if the things they are doing with translucency and parallax are quite interesting.

Global Posts
    2,836 Global Posts
    Carrier
    MIUI

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I'm not sure it should be compared to Android. Aside from the coincidence of both being mobile operating systems, I'm not sure they're going after the same goal. The more I think about this, relative to market share, innovation, etc. the more I see these two systems as having very different outlooks on what devices are for. We've all known this to some extent, but I assume some people were like me, in thinking that they were racing to some common-ish future of technology.

I still believe 90% of Apple customers would be just as happy with Android and 89% of Android customers would be just as happy with Apple (because of their usage of the device compared with the potential of the device) but for those remaining 9% of customers, it's almost as if there is a somewhat philosophical rather than purely functional reason they are attracted to one over the other. That, at approximately 15% of the smartphone market that neither owns, it'd be interesting to see which way they'll gravitate as the gap between the top two, Android (~75%) and iOS (~19%), and the other systems (collectively about 15%) widens.

There seems to be a lot of merit to the recent comments about this not being zero-sum and I'm hoping to see more progress ala-Google, in making services more available regardless of OS, where everything just works, to adopt Apple's core competency, but with one modification - just works for everyone. I don't want to have to care if you're on iOS or Android 4.2 or WP8 in order to know how to send content your way. It just needs to work. This probably doesn't need to be a war.
    Everything on the internet is a war. Ask the Playstation and Xbox consumers
    CR6 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,829 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    Everything on the internet is a war. Ask the Playstation and Xbox consumers
    Haha this is unfortunately very true.
    CR6 likes this.

IMO I really like the direction Apple has taken with iOS 7. It looks great and actually looks functional. If i ever leave Android (heaven forbid) Apple could very well be my backup plan.

But for now Google and Android have my heart and i cannot part with my Holo-fied Nexus 4 just yet...

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

Not necessarily. Apple never gives away all of the features at WWDC. We'll get the full feature list at the iPhone announcement in the fall.

Apple may not have talked about all the features at WWDC, but I doubt they are adding many, since they actually *are* releasing a beta version of iOS 7 now. The release version isn't available till the Fall, but the beta version is. So we will hear from people beta testing, but I seriously doubt there are major new razzle-dazzle features Apple will whip out.

iOS is made to be simple, pick up the phone and use it without having to spend to adjusting, changing etc.. I went and looked at a S4 this weekend, I'm sure I could spend at least a couple hours making it work the way I want to and that is without rooting etc.. iPhone is made to pick up and use without having to do all that, for a non iPhone user the hardest thing is getting used to only having one button. So Apple added some cool stuff they copied from Android or whoever but it is still easy to pick up and use. So for a iPhone user that is a good thing, I'm sure my wife will love it. I will stick with Android.

Tapatalk mofo
    davey11 likes this.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast