iOS 7 vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Imo they just made what they already had a little bit prettier. I like what they have done and I do think they took a big step. IOS is IOS and Android is android. Unless an android user is torn between the two ALL the time I dont believe this will compete for android lifers. This fresh look is really nice but just not enough against the customization power of android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

"Pretty" is very subjective and there will definitely be 2 camps on this issue (some will like iOS6 look some iOS7).

I agree that this is a big step for Apple but if you look at the competition, they haven't done anything new... merely caught up in SOME aspects. Will it make iUsers jump from excitement? Of course it will..... I'd jump too if an OS I'm using finally got such a "big" change. Will it draw competitor users to Apple? Maybe a tiny percentage. I mean how many people switched to Android just for the settings built into the notification bar?

I saw this post and it clearly shows what OS was an inspiration for iOS7... Can't be just a coincidence...
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/06/10/that-moment-when-ios7-became-android/

Anyway, nothing changed except the skin and the quick settings bar, or whatever they call it. Everything else is not even worth mentioning.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
All I was thinking was wow looks familiar with the lock screen floating bubbles almost looks like the holo theme new toggle widget wow ios7 just became android lol but what had me dying was the chart of 93% iOS users are up to date while most android users are using an operating system from 2010 funny thing is that 3yr operating system is still ahead of ios7

sent from my nexus 4 or nexus 7

What an ignorant post. Gingerbread is an epic fail of an OS. Android lag everywhere you are while navigating. Gingerbread is also an epic fail in terms of feature set compared to iOS4.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I didn't say they added something that android doesn't have. I said they added things which they didnt have in previous versions. And they finally look more opened now, they compete with android actually now, before they didnt.
A curious distinction given the fact that you just used those improvements to say that those might drive you to iOS from your Nexus 4. If it's not better than Android, then what exactly is that based on?

Let's also remember something. iOS 7 has been announced, not released. And it won't be released for a while, at least not till Fall. By then, we will probably have Android 4.3, and depending on the iOS 7 release date, the release of Android 5.0 and the next Nexus. Apple is barely catching up - I was pleased by their iOS announcement, but they have a long way to go to catch up to Android's functionality and design. And when iOS 7 is actually released, it will lag behind Android even more than it does today.

Angrygimp

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
That might make it work differently but that in no way actually makes it open in any way that the word "open" can mean when comparing the two OS's to each other.

Personally Apple could outright copy Android exactly and I would use them again (I worked for Apple in the past and no not a genius). Having the ability to do what I want to "my" phone, when I want and how I want is something that Apple will never allow, thus everything else is like shining a turd, a pretty, well working turd, but a turd none the less.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
It looks a lot better than the previous version, but not seeing anything other than catch up attempts. Unless you think parallax is useful. Still a boring grid of apps in general.

And I get real tired of them telling me how beautiful or wonderful or really really great everything is.

Come on man, just one sip. Just put the glass to your mouth and take that first sip. I promise it will all get better. ;)

dont know if anyone watched apple keynote, they announced iOS7, and this is something totally new. iPhone was always the same, but not anymore, they started to compete with android I guess.

I have new N4 but now I started to think about iPhone, oh :(((((

Am I the only one or?

iMore.com | The #1 Site for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV owners for more info

I know this is not iPhone forum, but I am on android and this iOS7 is really a goog competitor to android os

But what hardware is it going to go on ? Same skinny 4 inch screen ? You can have it. I'll keep my beautiful 4.7 inch 1080 P display, and the ability to fully use the Tor network when needed.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I was in a restaurant last week, sitting at the bar, and the guy next to me had an iPhone 5. We started talking and he put his phone next to mine, and his looked like a kid's toy compared to my N4.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I was in a restaurant last week, sitting at the bar, and the guy next to me had an iPhone 5. We started talking and he put his phone next to mine, and his looked like a kid's toy compared to my N4.

iPhones are gorgeous devices. And they are far from toys. But the operating system is still playing catch up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
A curious distinction given the fact that you just used those improvements to say that those might drive you to iOS from your Nexus 4. If it's not better than Android, then what exactly is that based on?

Let's also remember something. iOS 7 has been announced, not released. And it won't be released for a while, at least not till Fall. By then, we will probably have Android 4.3, and depending on the iOS 7 release date, the release of Android 5.0 and the next Nexus. Apple is barely catching up - I was pleased by their iOS announcement, but they have a long way to go to catch up to Android's functionality and design. And when iOS 7 is actually released, it will lag behind Android even more than it does today.

Not necessarily. Apple never gives away all of the features at WWDC. We'll get the full feature list at the iPhone announcement in the fall.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure it should be compared to Android. Aside from the coincidence of both being mobile operating systems, I'm not sure they're going after the same goal. The more I think about this, relative to market share, innovation, etc. the more I see these two systems as having very different outlooks on what devices are for. We've all known this to some extent, but I assume some people were like me, in thinking that they were racing to some common-ish future of technology.

I still believe 90% of Apple customers would be just as happy with Android and 89% of Android customers would be just as happy with Apple (because of their usage of the device compared with the potential of the device) but for those remaining 9% of customers, it's almost as if there is a somewhat philosophical rather than purely functional reason they are attracted to one over the other. That, at approximately 15% of the smartphone market that neither owns, it'd be interesting to see which way they'll gravitate as the gap between the top two, Android (~75%) and iOS (~19%), and the other systems (collectively about 15%) widens.

There seems to be a lot of merit to the recent comments about this not being zero-sum and I'm hoping to see more progress ala-Google, in making services more available regardless of OS, where everything just works, to adopt Apple's core competency, but with one modification - just works for everyone. I don't want to have to care if you're on iOS or Android 4.2 or WP8 in order to know how to send content your way. It just needs to work. This probably doesn't need to be a war.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Relative to the previous version, just multitasking for all apps makes iOS 7 more open than iOS 6.

Posted via Android Central App

Again, good follow through to become more of a true multitasking OS, just saying, a multitasking preview doesn't make them open. iOS is not open in any capacity, not remotely.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
How does that make the OS more open? In no way does that fall into the category of being more open haha.

You're thinking of the wrong kind of open. We're not talking open source here, we're talking about allowing apps to have more access to system resources that were previously closed off.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
You're thinking of the wrong kind of open. We're not talking open source here, we're talking about allowing apps to have more access to system resources that were previously closed off.

That makes sense, a more fair assessment. My misunderstanding. I had adjusted my wording before you both quoted me, but again, misunderstanding from my end.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense, a more fair assessment. My misunderstanding. I had adjusted my wording before you both quoted me, but again, misunderstanding from my end.

It's not your fault. We get so used to discussing android that when we talk open for other platforms we forget what the differences are.

ipeaches

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Looks really beautiful but I don't see it as much more than a lovely interface with some cool new features. It still lacks the power and customizability of Android. Not saying that's what Apple is out to do... I believe Android and iOS appeal to different markets of mobile phone users.

Still don't regret jumping the iOS ship to join Android. :)

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
It looks a lot better than the previous version, but not seeing anything other than catch up attempts. Unless you think parallax is useful. Still a boring grid of apps in general.

And I get real tired of them telling me how beautiful or wonderful or really really great everything is.

Oops. I was wrong. Android already has the parallax wallpaper thing. sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.