iOS 7 vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
And all of that looks great, but I'm sure after a few months of looking at it, I'll grow tired of it. Especially if it lasts as long as the previous look did

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure it should be compared to Android. Aside from the coincidence of both being mobile operating systems, I'm not sure they're going after the same goal. The more I think about this, relative to market share, innovation, etc. the more I see these two systems as having very different outlooks on what devices are for. We've all known this to some extent, but I assume some people were like me, in thinking that they were racing to some common-ish future of technology.

I still believe 90% of Apple customers would be just as happy with Android and 89% of Android customers would be just as happy with Apple (because of their usage of the device compared with the potential of the device) but for those remaining 9% of customers, it's almost as if there is a somewhat philosophical rather than purely functional reason they are attracted to one over the other. That, at approximately 15% of the smartphone market that neither owns, it'd be interesting to see which way they'll gravitate as the gap between the top two, Android (~75%) and iOS (~19%), and the other systems (collectively about 15%) widens.

There seems to be a lot of merit to the recent comments about this not being zero-sum and I'm hoping to see more progress ala-Google, in making services more available regardless of OS, where everything just works, to adopt Apple's core competency, but with one modification - just works for everyone. I don't want to have to care if you're on iOS or Android 4.2 or WP8 in order to know how to send content your way. It just needs to work. This probably doesn't need to be a war.
Everything on the internet is a war. Ask the Playstation and Xbox consumers

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
IMO I really like the direction Apple has taken with iOS 7. It looks great and actually looks functional. If i ever leave Android (heaven forbid) Apple could very well be my backup plan.

But for now Google and Android have my heart and i cannot part with my Holo-fied Nexus 4 just yet... :)

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Not necessarily. Apple never gives away all of the features at WWDC. We'll get the full feature list at the iPhone announcement in the fall.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
Apple may not have talked about all the features at WWDC, but I doubt they are adding many, since they actually *are* releasing a beta version of iOS 7 now. The release version isn't available till the Fall, but the beta version is. So we will hear from people beta testing, but I seriously doubt there are major new razzle-dazzle features Apple will whip out.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
iOS is made to be simple, pick up the phone and use it without having to spend to adjusting, changing etc.. I went and looked at a S4 this weekend, I'm sure I could spend at least a couple hours making it work the way I want to and that is without rooting etc.. iPhone is made to pick up and use without having to do all that, for a non iPhone user the hardest thing is getting used to only having one button. So Apple added some cool stuff they copied from Android or whoever but it is still easy to pick up and use. So for a iPhone user that is a good thing, I'm sure my wife will love it. I will stick with Android.

Tapatalk mofo

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Apple may not have talked about all the features at WWDC, but I doubt they are adding many, since they actually *are* releasing a beta version of iOS 7 now. The release version isn't available till the Fall, but the beta version is. So we will hear from people beta testing, but I seriously doubt there are major new razzle-dazzle features Apple will whip out.

They ALWAYS wait to reveal blockbuster features until the iPhone announcement. Its what apple does.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I like the way iOS 7 looks, I admit. But it's still a matter of form over function for me. Plus, Android (especially stock) looks really good still. Not to mention it's functional as well. Best of both worlds. :)

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Not necessarily. Apple never gives away all of the features at WWDC. We'll get the full feature list at the iPhone announcement in the fall.

Usually the later feature released is a hardware feature not a software one. The only time I can think of an extra unannounced software feature was Siri, but that was an iPhone 4s only exclusive at the time.

Before Siri it was the Retina Display for the iPhone 4. For IOS 6 and the iPhone 5 everything was the same software wise. The focus was the iPhone 5 longer size.

mamutarka

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Few people quoted me and this is my point.

I bought first iPhone I guess it was 2007., since then I was using iPhone for 5 years and bought Nexus 4 this year. I never left iPhone because it's bad or something, I left it because I wanted something new. And I get that with N4, I am happy now, but also I like the way iPhone is going. Few things iPhone has are the most prescious to me and that is - build quality and design which I like, and -camera which I think no one can compete with.

This is my opinion, nothing of this has to be yours. Android is still far in front of iOS and that will always be like that I think, but Android and iOS don't have the same goals and thats the point, everyone is going in his direction and it's on us to decide if we want simplicity (iOS), or more complexity and customization (Android).

mrip

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
A couple things come to mind after the keynote. Tim brought up the fragmentation issue, and my thought was if you are not going to update all the devices you support will fragmentation be a issue for Apple later down the line? I would say about 95% of I-phone users do not care about the ui's and customized home screens they're more like sheep herded to the pasture. I've seen it. Another thought is why Google can't take more discretionary control of the rollouts of the new OS from the oems is beyond me. That's just to keep the fragmentation to a minimum.
Things are moving fast in this industry, like the little girl says " people want more " but what Apple did was not more it was actually sub standard and more of a copy cat.

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I've talked to many people who think iPhone 5s or iPhone 6 (whatever is released) will have the big announcement in the way of an equivalent to Samsung air gestures.. You never know right? I personally doubt it. I guess it's just what you prefer, @ndroid for openness and customisability or apple for their clean and immaculate os that's easy to use. I went for android and am still finding new features or customising to how I want my phone where I did that for one day after my iPhone and had everything figured out.. I've never had this much fun with a phone or got so excited over one like the gs4. I personally feel like apple is getting closer to android with ios7 but I don't think they can really compete with the android market just yet.. Personal opinion. I do love apple and use their products.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I've talked to many people who think iPhone 5s or iPhone 6 (whatever is released) will have the big announcement in the way of an equivalent to Samsung air gestures.. You never know right? I personally doubt it. I guess it's just what you prefer, @ndroid for openness and customisability or apple for their clean and immaculate os that's easy to use. I went for android and am still finding new features or customising to how I want my phone where I did that for one day after my iPhone and had everything figured out.. I've never had this much fun with a phone or got so excited over one like the gs4. I personally feel like apple is getting closer to android with ios7 but I don't think they can really compete with the android market just yet.. Personal opinion. I do love apple and use their products.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

iPhone reminds me of AOL when they had customers that knew almost nothing about the internet and computers, so they had a "training wheels" ISP.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think iOS is a great looking OS. I really like the swipe up to get toggles/music controls. iOS 7 really addressed most of my iOS complaints (ugly design, multi tasking, quick settings). I won't be replacing my One with an iPhone, but I am seriously considering getting an iPad mini now (being in school for software and mobile app development, having lots of OSes around the house is nice). I personally don't really like the look of pure, stock Android (I know, get the tar and feathers), and prefer the new iOS 7 look to stock Jellybean (both of which look better than TouchWiz and LG's interface), but like Sense 5 better than iOS 7.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Looks really beautiful but I don't see it as much more than a lovely interface with some cool new features. It still lacks the power and customizability of Android. Not saying that's what Apple is out to do... I believe Android and iOS appeal to different markets of mobile phone users.

Still don't regret jumping the iOS ship to join Android. :)

This is how I see it as well. I use and like both, but don't see iOS7 as much more then eye candy improvements, if any. For me, both are equally intuitive, but Android gives me the flexibility and configurability that I value. On the other hand, my wife HATES android and LOVES iOS. If I understood why iOS is easier than android for some, I guess I would be driving 200 foot yachts around the ocean. Apple has appeared to find a way as to make phone operation more intuitive to some, and I can only assume that this will find great favor among those who hold such views of apple devices.

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
he2eguzy.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members