iOS 7 vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Blackmanx. His twitter is @black_man_x.

He is well known in the android community for leaking info about handsets.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

And so this qualifies him as the definitive authority on android? No. I don't care what this guy thinks, and though it appears you're willing to elevate his status in the android sphere I don't. Thurott has a lot of detractors in the MS world and even he deserves more credit as a voice than this guy.

I'll be more open to listen if you can give me someone more credible than underground people who use code names.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm telling you want someone from Google, who is a reliable source of information, said about KLP. Take it or leave it. But since he's actually seen it and knows what features it includes, it would be foolish to ignore it.

Also, it is your guys' opinion that 4.2 is better than iOS 7; he does not agree.

Well then that's just a matter of opinion.

Because, as stated, I believe the current Android version is superior to iOS7; so unless Google takes steps backwards, KLP, in my opinion, cannot be worse than iOS7.

Now we're just debating opinions, so there's not much left to discuss. I guess we'll see when we see.

However, I loved this tweet of his:
egezu3e8.jpg

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Because, as stated, I believe the current Android version is superior to iOS7; so unless Google takes steps backwards, KLP, in my opinion, cannot be worse than iOS7.

Now we're just debating opinions, so there's not much left to discuss. I guess we'll see when we see.

However, I loved this tweet of his:http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/13/egezu3e8.jpg

Which is ignorant. Apple stopped saying revolutionary a year ago, when Tim took over

Posted via Android Central App

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Which is ignorant. Apple stopped saying revolutionary a year ago, when Tim took over

Posted via Android Central App

Where did you pull ignorant from when I voiced an opinion? And where did that revolutionary comment come from?

You used to post unbiased, well thought out posts. Then Apple made a shiny new product and it seems that somehow has drastically affected your opinions of Google, and now all of a sudden you have all these issues with Android. Bit comical, really.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
funny-pictures-kitten-is-confused.jpg

Anyone else feel like no one has any idea what any single other person is talking about, possibly including themselves?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

However, I loved this tweet of his:http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/13/egezu3e8.jpg

For him it isn't, since he has every reason to support android and not say that iOS is better, and every incentive to do otherwise. And considering he's actually seen it and used it, at this point what he's saying is the only thing that's valid. Or, perhaps since he spent a lot of time working for Verizon and Google, he isn't as prone to being biased or elevating android to something it isn't.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For him it isn't. And considering he's actually seen it and used it, at this point what he's saying is the only thing that's actually valid. Or, perhaps since he spent a lot of time working for Verizon and Google, he isn't as prone to bring biased or elevating android to something it isn't.

So, with this source in mind, you are strongly of the opinion that KLP will be significantly worse than JB? That's the point everyone is trying to get figured out. If that's the alleged argument, then it needs a lot of supporting evidence or conjecture to establish how and why it will be worse. If that is not the argument, then it's an, "is iOS better than Android" argument, in which case, there are two obvious questions: 1. Better at what? 2. In the eyes of whom?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
And so this qualifies him as the definitive authority on android? No. I don't care what this guy thinks, and though it appears you're willing to elevate his status in the android sphere I don't. Thurott has a lot of detractors in the MS world and even he deserves more credit as a voice than this guy.

I'll be more open to listen if you can give me someone more credible than underground people who use code names.

I dislike people who use this, but for this post I have to: SMH.

Blackmanx is someone that worked very closely at Verizon, and was closely involved in their LTE rollout. As a part of that, he had access to every Verizon LTE handset, info for which he leaked to the community here and elsewhere. Then he moved to Google, and was a part of the android team.

He is more credible than anyone here when it comes to inside knowledge of android, the driving factors for decisions that are made, and the direction in which android is moving. He is a straight shooter and gives an honest and unbiased view of android, iOS, and mobile in general.

You may dislike him and not care what he thinks, but you do so at your own peril.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Why has this thread been left open? It's a breeding ground for hateful posts and all out ignorance. Although I do respect those who voiced their opinions on a civil manner...

iOS 7 and Android each have their own perks. Although I've never been too big on aesthetics, iOS 7 does look pretty good. However, it does remind me a lot of WebOS. I believe Android still wins on the functionality and customization level (the second one is not a shocker) because I believe Android just does more. This does depend on the user. Some will find iOS more useful and that should be respected by all.

Don't let an OS discussion turn you into a total jerk. Play nice kids.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
"Apple allows others to fail and then comes along and refines it and makes it meaningful. Ios7 is leaps ahead of key lime"

It's still a broken statement, given that it seems to assume either that iOS7 is leaps and bounds ahead of Android 4.1 or 4.2 or 4.3, or that KLP is somehow worse than 4.2 or 4.1, etc. Either statement, without a lot of supporting evidence that's not currently available, is patently untrue by conventional observation.

Consider: 4.1 >= iOS7, 4.2 > 4.1, 4.3 is assumed to be >= 4.2, 5.0 is assumed to be >= 4.3.

Qualitative judgments can only be based on the availability of features and options available to the user. Consideration is given to iOS7 for "polish" granting the possibility of equality with 4.1. In other words, what can the Apple device do that a 4.1 device cannot, and vice versa, repeat for each iteration of each OS.

The only way that the result could be iOS7 > 5.0 is if 4.1 is assumed to be lesser than iOS7; that's a very misleading assumption that needs to be clearly stated up front so that everything that follows can be thrown in the context. Since KLP will obviously not be worse than JB, we can only conclude that the person saying it is lesser than iOS7 is assuming that iOS7 is better than JB, at which point the debate must reside on that premise and not on the comparison of rumored additions to the already superior system.

Or, 4.1 and 4.2 AREN'T leaps and bounds ahead of iOS 7, and KLP is more incremental than everyone is expecting. (Hint: that's the right answer for him)

You guys assume that 4.x is better than ios7, when that has not been proven to be so. Given that, and his own use of KLP, he is saying that it isn't better than ios7. Unlike anyone here though, what hes saying is based on his own use of KLP instead of an assumption that 4.x is better therefore so too must be KLP.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
For him it isn't. And considering he's actually seen it and used it, at this point what he's saying is the only thing that's actually valid. Or, perhaps since he spent a lot of time working for Verizon and Google, he isn't as prone to bring biased or elevating android to something it isn't.

I would agree that if the panda has actually used iOS 7, he's probably more qualified to judge its position relative to other platforms than we are. This means that what he's saying potentially holds more weight as an argument in this discussion than our observations of iOS 7 do, however that doesn't make the opinions we formed as a result of WWDC any less valid. Combined with the fact that iOS 7 is likely still a "work in progress" (please do read that article), can we all agree that nobody outside the iOS team at Apple is truly qualified to make industry-level judgments of iOS 7 at this point?

Now that we've said that, check this out: Gallery: iOS 7 design elements: side-by-side with other platforms. It compares the multitasking, weather, settings toggles, messaging, lock screen, and incoming call user interfaces for iOS 7 alongside Android, Windows Phone, and webOS, as relevant.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So, with this source in mind, you are strongly of the opinion that KLP will be significantly worse than JB? That's the point everyone is trying to get figured out. If that's the alleged argument, then it needs a lot of supporting evidence or conjecture to establish how and why it will be worse. If that is not the argument, then it's an, "is iOS better than Android" argument, in which case, there are two obvious questions: 1. Better at what? 2. In the eyes of whom?

Ahh but you assume that 4.x is better than ios7, which is where the argument you're making falls apart. That's a false premise from the start, because no one here has used ios7, and no one here has used KLP. He has.

Given what hes saying, at best KLP will be an incremental update. At worst it won't move the needle and will be outflanked by iOS.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not questioning anyone's credibility, I'm questioning the assumptions used in asserting Android is about to heavily regress.

Except no one is asserting android is going to regress. What he is in fact asserting is that the point made here and elsewhere, that even 4.x is better than iOS 7, is not true. That in fact iOS 7 IS better than 4.x, and that KLP levels the playing field again.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Or, 4.1 and 4.2 AREN'T leaps and bounds ahead of iOS 7, and KLP is more incremental than everyone is expecting. (Hint: that's the right answer)

You guys assume that 4.x is better than ios7, when that has not been proven to be so. Given that, and his own use of KLP, he is saying that it isn't better than ios7. Unlike anyone here though, what hes saying is based on his own use of KLP instead of an assumption that 4.x is better therefore so too must be KLP.

I am not making the assumption that 4.1 is leaps and bounds ahead of iOS7, I clearly said approximately equal. 4.2 is not leaps and bounds ahead of 4.1, but it is better. I completely understand that KLP will be incremental as well, but I don't see how it could regress.

So the argument is truly not about whether or not KLP will be WORSE than JB, we can give up that premise, which means that the arguments from BMX are not needed at all, and all that is really left is each person's opinion of the relative quality of iOS versus Android in various iterations, given what knowledge exists to date.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Except no one is asserting android is going to regress. What he is in fact asserting is that the point made here and elsewhere, that even 4.x is better than iOS 7, is not true. That in fact iOS 7 IS better than 4.x, and that KLP levels the playing field again.

In some ways, that doesn't surprise me. What were the most significant arguments for 4.x over iOS? The notification system? Quick toggles? The multitasking UX? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple seems to be addressing a significant number of Android's historical "advantages," at least to some extent. I personally believe that Android is superior when you really dig in to take advantage of it, but if you're talking about stock Android versus iOS, I can accept that the potential improvements in iOS 7 bring it somewhere around equal to Android 4.0-4.2.

Time will tell.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I am not making the assumption that 4.1 is leaps and bounds ahead of iOS7, I clearly said approximately equal. 4.2 is not leaps and bounds ahead of 4.1, but it is better. I completely understand that KLP will be incremental as well, but I don't see how it could regress.

So the argument is truly not about whether or not KLP will be WORSE than JB, we can give up that premise, which means that the arguments from BMX are not needed at all, and all that is really left is each person's opinion of the relative quality of iOS versus Android in various iterations, given what knowledge exists to date.

See but the assumption that 4.x is equal still doesn't hold true based on what he said. 4.x would have to be inferior. Because he has used KLP, and states that it does not leap frog iOS 7, then the answer has to be that 4.x is inferior to iOS 7 and 5.x improves upon it. (Even incrementally)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That even 4.x is better than iOS 7, is not true. That in fact iOS 7 IS better than 4.x, and that KLP levels the playing field again.

This is not a fact. Better requires the two questions to be answered, one which is fact based and the other which is completely subjective. The general consensus seems to be that iOS released 0 features that do not exist in Android in some manner, and did not release all of the features that do. The UI update is huge and for anyone navigating from iOS6 to iOS7, it's a terrific update. For anyone going from Android 4.x to iOS7, you WILL lose functionality. So in terms of functionality, Android is better. You may gain polish and stability and you gain a different UI, which you may or may not like better. There is a trade-off there and it's up to the user to determine relative value at that point. In terms of personal preference, it's personal preference.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
See but the assumption that 4.x is equal still doesn't hold true based on what he said. 4.x would have to be inferior. Because he has used KLP, and states that it does not leap frog iOS 7, then the answer has to be that 4.x is inferior to iOS 7 and 5.x improves upon it. (Even incrementally)

It only doesn't hold true if he is the only person with an opinion. When they're out, there will be multitudes of people on both sides. For many of them, there is no leapfrog to be done. In this case, someone else's opinion has no bearing, using it or not. We don't have to compare KLP to iOS7 in order to make the comparison UNLESS you assume iOS7 is better. That's not a fact in evidence, that's hearsay testimony at best, and easily refuted because the question is, "do you like ___?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech