Page 1 of 13 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree228Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default iOS 7 vs Android

dont know if anyone watched apple keynote, they announced iOS7, and this is something totally new. iPhone was always the same, but not anymore, they started to compete with android I guess.

I have new N4 but now I started to think about iPhone, oh ((((

Am I the only one or?

iMore.com | The #1 Site for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV owners for more info

I know this is not iPhone forum, but I am on android and this iOS7 is really a goog competitor to android os

Default Re: iOS 7 vs Android

It's apple's way to make their phone look more like Android.
    ztyankov likes this.

In what way is iOS7 totally new? Functions, seemingly, about the exact same.

Quote Originally Posted by sergeantandroid View Post
    It's apple's way to make their phone look more like Android.
    I really don't see the resemblance. How so?
    ConTejas and J Sawh like this.

I have always liked Apple products, especially the iPhone. I have owned almost every iteration of the iPhone, but to get excited about iOS 7 from what was presented is a stretch for me because I really don't see how the improved on their operating system outside of making the UI look better. And it does look a lot better in my opinion. What bothers me is that the direction they seem to be going in is where Android already is. Is hoping for something new. I don't particularly like Windows phone, but at least they did something different.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    JeffDenver and ConTejas like this.

Yeah, you are the only one:rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    B3t0 

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies

To me it doesn't really look like Stock Android.....MIUI however, I definitely see similarities there!!
    Thanked by 3:
    cckgz4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    I have always liked Apple products, especially the iPhone. I have owned almost every iteration of the iPhone, but to get excited about iOS 7 from what was presented is a stretch for me because I really don't see how the improved on their operating system outside of making the UI look better. And it does look a lot better in my opinion. What bothers me is that the direction they seem to be going in is where Android already is. Is hoping for something new. I don't particularly like Windows phone, but at least they did something different.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    If I had the opportunity, I'd probably buy a Windows Phone. I love my Nexus as I've said countless times, but Windows intrigues me, and exactly as you said they did something different.

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by mamutarka View Post
    dont know if anyone watched apple keynote, they announced iOS7, and this is something totally new. iPhone was always the same, but not anymore, they started to compete with android I guess.

I have new N4 but now I started to think about iPhone, oh ((((
    What have they really added that Android does not already have (and better)?

Still no widgets. Still no 3rd party app integration. They added a live wallpaper that you cannot change. I suppose it is better than nothing, but it is certainly not innovative and not something we have all not seen before years ago.
    Thanked by:
    ConTejas, tr-1 and jinhtcone like this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    What have they really added that Android does not already have (and better)?

Still no widgets. Still no 3rd party app integration. They added a live wallpaper that you cannot change. I suppose it is better than nothing, but it is certainly not innovative and not something we have all not seen before years ago.
    I didn't say they added something that android doesn't have. I said they added things which they didnt have in previous versions. And they finally look more opened now, they compete with android actually now, before they didnt.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar likes this.

And they finally look more opened now, they compete with android actually now, before they didnt.
    Um, how?

How are they "more opened?"

What makes Apple better poised to compete with Android with iOS7 that they were unable to do with iOS6?
    tr-1, TomsAndroid and Shon123 like this.

I didn't watch, but I did see a few pictures and it it looks cool! Not enough to make me switch, but it also makes me think that they often just change the way the UI looks. And that's about it.

Sent from Galaxy-Note... The 2nd One!

All I was thinking was wow looks familiar with the lock screen floating bubbles almost looks like the holo theme new toggle widget wow ios7 just became android lol but what had me dying was the chart of 93% iOS users are up to date while most android users are using an operating system from 2010 funny thing is that 3yr operating system is still ahead of ios7

sent from my nexus 4 or nexus 7
    Thanked by:
    PaulDiM likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    How are they "more opened?"?
    - Multitasking for all apps.
    - Updated AirDrop.

If you're expecting Apple to match Android's level of openness, you're expecting way too much.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

This does not apply to me because I had already made the switch from Android to iOS but man! I watched the event live on my Apple TV and iOS7 is flat out a winner! Almost everything I was waiting for has been delivered, iOS7 is the real deal!
    CompMan2012 and J Sawh like this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Um, how?

How are they "more opened?"

What makes Apple better poised to compete with Android with iOS7 that they were unable to do with iOS6?
    toggle options, full multitasking, lock screen notification and other things shown at wwdc.

I am not saying that ios 7 is better then jelly bean, but they showed some progress in my opinion
    adriandb and J Sawh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    - Multitasking for all apps.
    - Updated AirDrop.

If you're expecting Apple to match Android's level of openness, you're expecting way too much.
    I'm not disputing the improvements, I'm merely attempting to point out to the user I originally quoted that nothing about iOS7 seems more open than prior iterations of iOS.

iOS is a lot of things, but we all know open isn't one of them.
    ConTejas likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

I'm not disputing the improvements, I'm merely attempting to point out to the user I originally quoted that nothing about iOS7 seems more open than prior iterations of iOS.

iOS is a lot of things, but we all know open isn't one of them.
    Relative to the previous version, just multitasking for all apps makes iOS 7 more open than iOS 6.

Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

It looks a lot better than the previous version, but not seeing anything other than catch up attempts. Unless you think parallax is useful. Still a boring grid of apps in general.

And I get real tired of them telling me how beautiful or wonderful or really really great everything is.
    Last edited by SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl; 06-10-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Thanked by 4:

Imo they just made what they already had a little bit prettier. I like what they have done and I do think they took a big step. IOS is IOS and Android is android. Unless an android user is torn between the two ALL the time I dont believe this will compete for android lifers. This fresh look is really nice but just not enough against the customization power of android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

I don't think iOS will run on the Nexus 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele_Phone View Post
    Imo they just made what they already had a little bit prettier. I like what they have done and I do think they took a big step. IOS is IOS and Android is android. Unless an android user is torn between the two ALL the time I dont believe this will compete for android lifers. This fresh look is really nice but just not enough against the customization power of android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    "Pretty" is very subjective and there will definitely be 2 camps on this issue (some will like iOS6 look some iOS7).

I agree that this is a big step for Apple but if you look at the competition, they haven't done anything new... merely caught up in SOME aspects. Will it make iUsers jump from excitement? Of course it will..... I'd jump too if an OS I'm using finally got such a "big" change. Will it draw competitor users to Apple? Maybe a tiny percentage. I mean how many people switched to Android just for the settings built into the notification bar?

I saw this post and it clearly shows what OS was an inspiration for iOS7... Can't be just a coincidence...

Anyway, nothing changed except the skin and the quick settings bar, or whatever they call it. Everything else is not even worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by loosecannon6 View Post
    All I was thinking was wow looks familiar with the lock screen floating bubbles almost looks like the holo theme new toggle widget wow ios7 just became android lol but what had me dying was the chart of 93% iOS users are up to date while most android users are using an operating system from 2010 funny thing is that 3yr operating system is still ahead of ios7

sent from my nexus 4 or nexus 7
    What an ignorant post. Gingerbread is an epic fail of an OS. Android lag everywhere you are while navigating. Gingerbread is also an epic fail in terms of feature set compared to iOS4.
    Thanked by 2:
    Ry and TeritorialDemon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
    What an ignorant post. Gingerbread is an epic fail of an OS. Android lag everywhere you are while navigating. Gingerbread is also an epic fail in terms of feature set compared to iOS4.
    Only people running gingerbread are people who don't care about any of that.

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

I didn't say they added something that android doesn't have. I said they added things which they didnt have in previous versions. And they finally look more opened now, they compete with android actually now, before they didnt.
    A curious distinction given the fact that you just used those improvements to say that those might drive you to iOS from your Nexus 4. If it's not better than Android, then what exactly is that based on?

Let's also remember something. iOS 7 has been announced, not released. And it won't be released for a while, at least not till Fall. By then, we will probably have Android 4.3, and depending on the iOS 7 release date, the release of Android 5.0 and the next Nexus. Apple is barely catching up - I was pleased by their iOS announcement, but they have a long way to go to catch up to Android's functionality and design. And when iOS 7 is actually released, it will lag behind Android even more than it does today.
    TomsAndroid and jinhtcone like this.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast GPA19

That might make it work differently but that in no way actually makes it open in any way that the word "open" can mean when comparing the two OS's to each other.

Personally Apple could outright copy Android exactly and I would use them again (I worked for Apple in the past and no not a genius). Having the ability to do what I want to "my" phone, when I want and how I want is something that Apple will never allow, thus everything else is like shining a turd, a pretty, well working turd, but a turd none the less.
Page 1 of 13 1234 ... LastLast