Reuters: "Reuters: Apple considering 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch iPhones."

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This caught my eye a few minutes ago. Apparently, according to Reuters, Apple is "considering" the following:

? An iPhone with a 4.7-inch display (reminiscent of many standard Android handsets, like the Nexus 4).
? An iPhone with a 5.7-inch display (reminiscent of 'phablet' Android devices, like the Note).
? A 'budget' model iPhone available in multiple colors (reminiscent of less costly entry-level Android devices).​

There are a few things to remember. First, take this with a grain of salt. Apple ? as well as almost every other tech company ? researches, develops, and considers many different types of products. That doesn't mean we'll see them in the consumer market, but considering the relative success that larger Android handsets have seen in the past six months alone, it wouldn't surprise me all that much if Apple brings them to light in some form. The iPad mini is a good example of Apple changing their stance as the result of a changing market (it was introduced following the success of tablets like the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7).

We've seen from WWDC and the iOS 7 announcement that Apple isn't going with the "revolutionary" and "amazing" approach as it has in the past, and that in the eyes of many, Apple is playing catch-up in some ways. How do you think a potential foray into the larger phone market on Apple's part will play out?

via Engadget, The Verge

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
This caught my eye a few minutes ago. Apparently, according to Reuters, Apple is "considering" the following:

? An iPhone with a 4.7-inch display (reminiscent of many standard Android handsets, like the Nexus 4).
? An iPhone with a 5.7-inch display (reminiscent of 'phablet' Android devices, like the Note).
? A 'budget' model iPhone available in multiple colors (reminiscent of less costly entry-level Android devices).​

There are a few things to remember. First, take this with a grain of salt. Apple ? as well as almost every other tech company ? researches, develops, and considers many different types of products. That doesn't mean we'll see them in the consumer market, but considering the relative success that larger Android handsets have seen in the past six months alone, it wouldn't surprise me all that much if Apple brings them to light in some form. The iPad mini is a good example of Apple changing their stance as the result of a changing market (it was introduced following the success of tablets like the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7).

We've seen from WWDC and the iOS 7 announcement that Apple isn't going with the "revolutionary" and "amazing" approach as it has in the past, and that in the eyes of many, Apple is playing catch-up in some ways. How do you think a potential foray into the larger phone market on Apple's part will play out?

via Engadget, The Verge

I never expect Apple to do it in the foreseeable future. that being said after the iOS 7 feature announcement Apple have surprised me and may surprise me with the iPhone 5S/6.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
5.7 inches would be nice if they gave stylus but then they would be going against Jobs vision. In a way they did that with the iPad mini, but nobody knows if he gave them their blessing on that.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I think Apple is set to abandon Steve Jobs' stubborn path now. Yeah I said it. The guy was bad for the company in his last years. Too restrictive, arrogant, and unbending. If he were still here today, I have little doubt you'd all still be holding a 3.5" phone. Anyway...

Recent trends are looking to be companies giving a selection of three device sizes now. Medium, large, and phablet. So it wouldn't surprise me to see Apple preparing to go that route as well.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple is set to abandon Steve Jobs' stubborn path now. Yeah I said it. The guy was bad for the company in his last years. Too restrictive, arrogant, and unbending. If he were still here today, I have little doubt you'd all still be holding a 3.5" phone. Anyway...

Recent trends are looking to be companies giving a selection of three device sizes now. Medium, large, and phablet. So it wouldn't surprise me to see Apple preparing to go that route as well.

Bad for his company?! Apple got to be the most valuable company with stock as high as $750! No way he was bad for the company.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

All of the products we have seen since his death, and all of the products we will see for at least the next two years, were all approved by Jobs prior to his death. None of apples hardware has the stamp of Tim Cook on it yet.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
All of the products we have seen since his death, and all of the products we will see for at least the next two years, were all approved by Jobs prior to his death. None of apples hardware has the stamp of Tim Cook on it yet.

I would say iOS 7 is not Steve Jobs baby. in fact iOS 7 is nothing like how Steve would want iOS to be. If steve was still here scott forestall would still be at apple and we wouldn't have had a major revamp like iOS 7.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I would say iOS 7 is not Steve Jobs baby. in fact iOS 7 is nothing like how Steve would want iOS to be. If steve was still here scott forestall would still be at apple and we wouldn't have had a major revamp like iOS 7.

Hardware was the key part of my post.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

fl3mez

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that's gonna happen, it took them like what 5 years to make the jump from 3.5 to 4? Don't think they gonna make a 4 to 5.7 jump anytime soon maybe maybe in the near (really far) future they may make it 4.5

Also how do I change my android pic to a iPhone (hehehe)

Posted via Apple Central App (not really)

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that's gonna happen, it took them like what 5 years to make the jump from 3.5 to 4? Don't think they gonna make a 4 to 5.7 jump anytime soon maybe maybe in the near (really far) future they may make it 4.5

I think that if more Android manufacturers released smaller flagship phones, Apple would put out a bigger iPhone sooner. Now, I'm not saying that there has to be Android phones with smaller screens. I would advocate smaller bezels instead. So maybe you could have a 4.7-inch screen in a phone with a smaller area that allows for great one-handed operation. I think the Moto X achieves this, but I haven't had an opportunity to try one out myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool