Anyone else sick of the iPhone?

CNevius

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
Is it just me or does the mere sight of an iPhone make anyone else nauseous? It is so over advertised and everyone and there mother is gaga over it. Am I the only one insulted by the way the machine treats you like an idiot and apple and AT&T can't make up there mind on what you can or can't do on it. And apple's nazi-like control over the apps store, I mean come on. All the more reason for me to absolutely adore my G1.

Dr. Tyrell

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
Is it just me or does the mere sight of an iPhone make anyone else nauseous?
I have no animosity towards Apple. The iPhone is a brilliant device that revolutionized smartphones. It is very focused and great at what it does. Much of what we do in Android started with the iPhone. Give Apple credit and hope Android can be half as successful as it blazes new ground. The only thing I don't understand is why AT&T has had a lock on it for so long.

rjgonza

Nov 20, 2008
rjgonza.com
I have no animosity towards Apple. The iPhone is a brilliant device that revolutionized smartphones. It is very focused and great at what it does. Much of what we do in Android started with the iPhone. Give Apple credit and hope Android can be half as successful as it blazes new ground. The only thing I don't understand is why AT&T has had a lock on it for so long.

I dislike apple because they want so much control, yet the act as if they are this friendly soft company. Also they compare themselves to microsoft and competitors with too much spin. Apple portrays itself as if it is the alternative to corporate blah blah blah. Yet what they worked on so long for the new iphone was exchange compatibility. On top of that, they feel as if they are to pass judgment on anything and everything for the iphone.

I believe that they should be in control of the iphone untill it is purchased, then they must let the user own the device. You are right though a lot of stuff in android was inspired by the iphone. . . the android community looked at the iphone to see what not to do.

Personally, I hope the android os does not get the same rep apple has in the developer community.

CNevius

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site

I do appreciate the innovations it has made and that wasn't actauuly what i was reffering to. I hope android blows apple out of the water personally. And the reason AT&T has had a lock on it for so long is because i would assume the contract between them is still in effect. That and i would imagine with all the hands on apple does as far as what u can or cant do with the phone might keep some other carriers from wanting to pick it up.

ShallY#AC

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Iphone development. Android development.

We offer a perfect opportunity of professional growth and self-improvement in our team for those who are looking for career in IT business, especially iPhone and Android development.
Iphone developer, Android development, IPhone outsourcing

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Regardless on whether or not you hate Apple or the iPhone you can not deny that the iPhone has really raised the bar in the smartphone industry. There is no disputing that. Why some people hold grudges or even try to dispute that fact is beyond me. Competition is a good thing people. Give Apple their props.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone is cool, but I like to stand out as having something unique and interesting. I don't want to own something that everyone else in the room has. I travel around a lot and everywhere I go, I see people on their iPhone's! I also don't like the glazed look iPhone owners get in their eyes like they've been hypnotized into believing the iPhone is perfect. Having said that, I would love to see the Android OS on with the iPhone's hardware. That would be an awesome combination IMHO.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
The iPhone is cool, but I like to stand out as having something unique and interesting. I don't want to own something that everyone else in the room has. I travel around a lot and everywhere I go, I see people on their iPhone's! I also don't like the glazed look iPhone owners get in their eyes like they've been hypnotized into believing the iPhone is perfect. Having said that, I would love to see the Android OS on with the iPhone's hardware. That would be an awesome combination IMHO.

Ok, I hate the iPhone too... :p

anon(697)

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
For me, I don't really care about having something different or the same as other people ... but I won't buy something just because others say it's good.

The main reasons I wouldn't get an iPhone are
- being so tied into iTunes
- having to pay so much for a contract/handset
- being locked down to what Apple say you can do with it

I believe you have to install iTunes to even activate the phone on the network, let alone do anything else like syncing etc. I would get in trouble at some point by installing something like that on my work laptop - yet I would have to if I wanted to sync my Outlook Contacts/Calendar (I think - is that right or even possible? - I looked into it a couple of years ago but lost touch.)

Contract prices for iPhones start at ?35/month here (a lot of which probably goes back to Apple), or you can buy a handset alone for ?800-?900 - compared to my contract with the Hero which is ?25/month (still a little more than I'm used to paying) or I could have bought the handset for ?400.

@8notime - you mention the dream of having the Android OS on the iPhone hardware - there's no denying I think that the iPhone hardware is better than anything running Android right now - but I don't think it's twice as good, which is what the price difference would want you to believe.

Being so tied to Apple's 'way' - this is a less major point for me as I think the iPhone could do everything I'd want of it (just maybe not as easily or with a little more fiddling to get around Apple's restrictions), but one that lots of others claim as their main factor

Dave

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
For me, I don't really care about having something different or the same as other people ... but I won't buy something just because others say it's good.

The main reasons I wouldn't get an iPhone are
- being so tied into iTunes
- having to pay so much for a contract/handset
- being locked down to what Apple say you can do with it

I believe you have to install iTunes to even activate the phone on the network, let alone do anything else like syncing etc. I would get in trouble at some point by installing something like that on my work laptop - yet I would have to if I wanted to sync my Outlook Contacts/Calendar (I think - is that right or even possible? - I looked into it a couple of years ago but lost touch.)

Contract prices for iPhones start at ?35/month here (a lot of which probably goes back to Apple), or you can buy a handset alone for ?800-?900 - compared to my contract with the Hero which is ?25/month (still a little more than I'm used to paying) or I could have bought the handset for ?400.

@8notime - you mention the dream of having the Android OS on the iPhone hardware - there's no denying I think that the iPhone hardware is better than anything running Android right now - but I don't think it's twice as good, which is what the price difference would want you to believe.

Being so tied to Apple's 'way' - this is a less major point for me as I think the iPhone could do everything I'd want of it (just maybe not as easily or with a little more fiddling to get around Apple's restrictions), but one that lots of others claim as their main factor

Dave

Just like with any other platform there are ways around the so called lockdown Apple has over the iPhone - jailbreaking. It's really no different than ROMS for Android or Windows Mobile.

As for the hardware, I agree with 8notime as the most solid hardware design out there right now is indeed the iPhone. And you can actually feel the difference between some of the lessor designed pieces of hardware out there simply by holding the two devices in your hand. The biggest thing is the glass screen. Now if the Hero that is coming to the states had a glass screen - I'd be in heaven.

Pellam

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Just like with any other platform there are ways around the so called lockdown Apple has over the iPhone - jailbreaking. It's really no different than ROMS for Android or Windows Mobile.
Very true, but one has to be very tech savvy to do this and most people simply aren't, so for the general consumer the iPhone is walled-garden that leaves you trapped in Apple's "ecosystem."

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Very true, but one has to be very tech savvy to do this and most people simply aren't, so for the general consumer the iPhone is walled-garden that leaves you trapped in Apple's "ecosystem."

See that is the point, the general consumer wants a device that is easy to pick up and use so it's highly unlikely that user even cares to be locked into Apple's world. Now if that consumer is on the tech savvy side and feel locked in, like we've said, jailbreaking is always an option along with a Android and Windows Mobile device. ;)

Pellam

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
See that is the point, the general consumer wants a device that is easy to pick up and use so it's highly unlikely that user even cares to be locked into Apple's world. Now if that consumer is on the tech savvy side and feel locked in, like we've said, jailbreaking is always an option along with a Android and Windows Mobile device. ;)
Very true...the general consumer would be ignorant to the fact that they are being restricted. And even if they did, would they care? For change to occur, one has to be informed, then one has to care, and lastly take action.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Very true...the general consumer would be ignorant to the fact that they are being restricted. And even if they did, would they care? For change to occur, one has to be informed, then one has to care, and lastly take action.

It seems to me as Apple is slowly but surely letting their grip go a bit. I think partly due to the FCC here in the US. Which is a good thing.

Sunofabob

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I hate the fact that every touch screen device that hits the market has to be compared to the iPhone like it's the best thing smoking when it isn't. The friggin thing can't even multi-task. What type of smartphone limits memory, battery switching, and carriers. Let's call it the jPhone for jerkishlyweak(in comparison to BB's Androids, even newer WinMos.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I hate the fact that every touch screen device that hits the market has to be compared to the iPhone like it's the best thing smoking when it isn't. The friggin thing can't even multi-task. What type of smartphone limits memory, battery switching, and carriers. Let's call it the jPhone for jerkishlyweak(in comparison to BB's Androids, even newer WinMos.

Of course every touch screen phone will be compared to the current top phone... whether you like it or not, right now that is Apples iPhone.

To address some of your points - it can actually multitask and really well. Limits memory how so? Battery switching? How many spare batteries do you carry around with you for your Blackberry? Carriers? So simply because the Droid will only be available on Verizon that makes it bad?

You can't even put a device like a Blackberry in the same class as an iPhone or Android device. They are good for messaging yes (minus the Storm...) but talk to me when RIM gets a real browser (which I know they are working on it but it's taking this long?) and completely overhauls their current java based OS...

And I'm not even trying to knock BB as I've owned them along side my iPhones. Just making a point... And Windows Mobile? Really... I won't even go there.

taeisme

Trusted Member
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I went and got the 3GS on launch and the honeymoon was over 20 days later... it was only 20 days because it too some time to port back over to VZW and wait for the Tour.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21