Why exactly does iOS 7 need to be 64bit?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Got any proof because there are several Articles that agree with me and I haven't seen any that agree with your opinion. What is the point of the A7 running in 32 bit emulation mode if every App will come in both 64 bit and 32 bit binaries?

Read This;

Why Apple went 64-bit with the iPhone 5s | ZDNet

I would rather believe a developer that's played with the SDK then someone like you that hates Apple anyway and is desperately trying to prove the legit developer wrong.

Posted via Android Central App

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I find it funny that that had Samsung gone 64 bit then everyone here would say it's amazing and Apple is stupid to not do it.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The 64 bit A7 CPU is all marketing hype and it always works on Apple fans.... Now we all will have to at some point in the future pay more for wider data from the network providers and it will use up our battery faster all because Apple made people think that a 64 bit CPU is faster than a 32 bit Computer in a phone using light weight Apps.

Apple's 64-Bit A7 Processor Hype Just More Reality Distortion Field

Make no mistake, the primary benefit of a 64-bit processor (and its accompanying OS) is memory address space above the 4GB limit that exists in 32-bit architectures. Do you think the iPhone 5S is going to ship with more than 4GB of system RAM? I highly doubt it. It eats power, and its expensive, relatively speaking. RAM and Flash storage are two different things, so please check specs before you sound off in the comments. I realize this will likely be a passionate discussion here and why not?

Don?t get me wrong. I applaud Apple for innovating in this area and making the move to 64-bit but if you think a 64-bit architecture is going to magically transform the new iPhone 5S into a ?desktop-class? machine in your pocket, you?ve likely got another thing coming at the end of that long waiting line at the Apple store. Not surprisingly, Samsung also announced today that they were coming out eventually with 64-bit smartphone chips. Eventually? Why? Because Apple announced the 64-bit A7 this week and you?ve got to keep up with the joneses.

I appreciate powerful silicon, better features and forward-looking architectures, really, I do but it isn't needed in a phone and will only just cost us more battery power and make the network providers more money. Just check that reality distortion field at the door so we can all keep things in perspective.

bccric

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I hate to date myself but in the mid-90s i had a 386 with 16 meg of ram and a 210 meg hard drive. And i thought who needs this much? The market drives technology...just hang on as the curve accelerates. But what do i know. Dos was king and that windows crap would never fly.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using AC Forums mobile app

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
The 64 bit A7 CPU is all marketing hype and it always works on Apple fans....

I appreciate powerful silicon, better features and forward-looking architectures, really, I do. Just check that reality distortion field at the door so we can all keep things in perspective.

The octa core processors are just marketing hype and always work on Samsung fans....

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The octa core processors are just marketing hype and always work on Samsung fans....

Well I can see how multi-core processor sounds so useless to a Apple fan with a device that isn't even capable of multitasking Apps. Maybe, next year the i6 can have a 128 bit CPU that they think will run twice as fast as a 64 bit CPU...

Last edited:

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Well I can see how multi-core processor sounds so useless to a Apple fan with a device that isn't even capable of multitasking Apps. Maybe, next year the i6 can have a 128 bit CPU that they think will run twice as fast as a 64 bit CPU...

Are you freaking serious? Mobile does not need more then a dual core. Oh and BTW iOS 7 does properly multitasking, while being more efficient then Android multitasking

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The 64 bit A7 CPU is all marketing hype and it always works on Apple fans.... Now we all will have to at some point in the future pay more for wider data from the network providers and it will use up our battery faster all because Apple made people think that a 64 bit CPU is faster than a 32 bit Computer in a phone using light weight Apps.

I appreciate powerful silicon, better features and forward-looking architectures, really, I do but it isn't needed in a phone and will only just cost us more battery power and make the network providers more money. Just check that reality distortion field at the door so we can all keep things in perspective.

It is about 75 percent hype, there are some real benefits. The better question is how noticeable are those to the the majority of users.

I never liked the implementation of the Octocore version of the S4.

Except for games most apps are not even multithreaded. Really pointless across the board. The Moto X proved how to design a smart smartphone. Dual core for efficiency, extra efficient processors not part of the main cpu unit to off load tasks and maintain battery life.

Now the M7 processor in 5s to me was the biggest innovative feature of the phone and the most similar in concept to what the Moto X did.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It is about 75 percent hype, there are some real benefits. The better question is how noticeable are those to the the majority of users.

I never liked the implementation of the Octocore version of the S4.

Except for games most apps are not even multithreaded. Really pointless across the board. The Moto X proved how to design a smart smartphone. Dual core for efficiency, extra efficient processors not part of the main cpu unit to off load tasks and maintain battery life.

Now the M7 processor in 5s to me was the biggest innovative feature of the phone and the most similar in concept to what the Moto X did.

Thank you.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
If what I've read in this thread is true (I have no access to the beta SDK, so I will assume they are) Apple has an epic fragmentation problem. There is no way the iPhone 5c can run the same version of iOS as the 5s. There is no way the 5c can run apps optimized for the 5s.

They will give them the same name, but in reality every iPhone that is not the 5s will not be on the same version as the 5s, as the hardware is incapable of running it.

Let me be clear ? I don't think this is a bad thing. This is how software advances. But Apple certainly says it is when they mention Windows or Linux or Android and "all the different versions".

tl.dr; ? if Apple doesn't release iOS7 and a separate iOS7-64, they are pulling the wool over the eyes of their users because of stupid things a stupid man once said.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
If what I've read in this thread is true (I have no access to the beta SDK, so I will assume they are) Apple has an epic fragmentation problem. There is no way the iPhone 5c can run the same version of iOS as the 5s. There is no way the 5c can run apps optimized for the 5s.

They will give them the same name, but in reality every iPhone that is not the 5s will not be on the same version as the 5s, as the hardware is incapable of running it.

Let me be clear ? I don't think this is a bad thing. This is how software advances. But Apple certainly says it is when they mention Windows or Linux or Android and "all the different versions".

tl.dr; ? if Apple doesn't release iOS7 and a separate iOS7-64, they are pulling the wool over the eyes of their users because of stupid things a stupid man once said.

2 more iPhone and iPad releases in, that won't be a problem.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Because people will forget they have been lied to? Or because Apple will abandon the older models? 32-bit iPhones aren't going away any time soon.

What? How have they been lied to? Apps are automatically updated with 64 bit support. Even if the developer doesn't want to. The apps will have 64 bit and 32 bit support. Of course 32 bit iPhones will still remain however Apple will not be supporting the 32 bit iPhones 2-3 years after there launch.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
What? How have they been lied to? Apps are automatically updated with 64 bit support. Even if the developer doesn't want to. The apps will have 64 bit and 32 bit support. Of course 32 bit iPhones will still remain however Apple will not be supporting the 32 bit iPhones 2-3 years after there launch.

Because they are told they are on the same version of the OS, when they are not.

There's no need to convince me, I think this is the right way to go forward, and I've said for years that Apple will have to do this one day. It's how it is done. It's also going to get worse as resolution on displays gets tighter and tighter.

It is Apple who has always said this is a very bad thing. Like big screens and plastic.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Jerry you might of missed it in this thread or was it another one too many to track.

When you compile any app it will do both binaries.

Also if IOS7 is treated like OSX is, it will run 32 or 64 bit depending on hardware detected.

So as long as Apple pushes two binaries it shouldn't matter. They could be doing this for the next 5 years even if there is no more 32 bit hardware being released.

By the way Android Central should get you a developers license.......

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Because they are told they are on the same version of the OS, when they are not.

There's no need to convince me, I think this is the right way to go forward, and I've said for years that Apple will have to do this one day. It's how it is done. It's also going to get worse as resolution on displays gets tighter and tighter.

It is Apple who has always said this is a very bad thing. Like big screens and plastic.

Right now, for all intents and purposes the 64 bit and 32 bit version of iOS are the same. IOS 7 takes advantage of Open GL 3.0 support in the power "rouge" GPU's but the 5S has nothing software wise that will run only on the 5S.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Jerry you might of missed it in this thread or was it another one too many to track.

When you compile any app it will do both binaries.

Also if IOS7 is treated like OSX is, it will run 32 or 64 bit depending on hardware detected.

So as long as Apple pushes two binaries it shouldn't matter. They could be doing this for the next 5 years even if there is no more 32 bit hardware being released.

By the way Android Central should get you a developers license.......

I'm talking about the OS, not the applications. Apple had this very problem with the core2 duo and about 6 versions of OSX. It was a giant mess that turned into charts like this one. Not very "apple friendly" looking, is it? So Apple ignored it and told everyone that OSX was now 64 bit.

The application framework layer is just a tiny bit of the package. It's fairly easy to solve, as ARM64 hardware can run 32-bit software just fine. But again ? there is no need to convince me, I think this was inevitable and is completely acceptable. It is Apple who says it is not.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Right now, for all intents and purposes the 64 bit and 32 bit version of iOS are the same. IOS 7 takes advantage of Open GL 3.0 support in the power "rouge" GPU's but the 5S has nothing software wise that will run only on the 5S.

Nonsense. They are either the same, or different. Only one can be true. If they are the same, where's the benefit of using ARM64 hardware?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm talking about the OS, not the applications. Apple had this very problem with the core2 duo and about 6 versions of OSX. It was a giant mess that turned into charts like this one. Not very "apple friendly" looking, is it? So Apple ignored it and told everyone that OSX was now 64 bit.

The application framework layer is just a tiny bit of the package. It's fairly easy to solve, as ARM64 hardware can run 32-bit software just fine. But again ? there is no need to convince me, I think this was inevitable and is completely acceptable. It is Apple who says it is not.

Yes I remember all that, part of that was a hardware push, but it has been implied that the lifecycle of cell phones or upgrade cycle is much faster than computer hardware.

It is expected that most people upgrade their phones every 2 years because of the offers made by carriers. My macbook died after 4.5 years of use. And after upgrading to a SSD in the machine its performance was more than acceptable.

You really don't have that option with phones even though we are reaching a point where gains are marginal in relation to software versus hardware in smartphones.