Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree286Likes

Default Re: My Rant on the iPhone 5s

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    No, you don't get it. I'm talking about apps that are specifically designed for iPhones and not iPads and thus need to be blown up to fit the iPad's screen. You know, the apps with the little "1x" or "2x" buttons in the corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidArmy View Post
    My job required me to use one for a while, but I recently argued myself out of it and I only need my Galaxy now. I'm not a huge fan of carrying an ipad around all day
    That is what the Note 3 is for!!!!
    Thanked by:
    DroidArmy likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #577  

Global Posts
    2,444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    Oh? You were gonna get one?

Posted via Android Central App
    No, they provided them for all the employees. I basically used it for a week and then gave it back to them. I hated it, and I explained to them if I can do everything I need to from my Galaxy I don't need it.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Same experience.
    You have an iPad?
    About one-third of the apps I've installed on the iPad I was using aren't available in iPad versions. This isn't an exaggeration.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Those are phone apps that were dragged into the iPad. You can not buy those directly from the store. I did that with Streetfighter 4 because it wasn't available for the iPad at the time.

It looked stretched out and distorted, just like an Android app designed for the phone.

Developers don't turn that on, it is something Apple built into the iPad for people who did that.
    I was able to download any iPhone app from the App Store on an iPad; not sure if it's changed now. This was about a year ago.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #579  

Global Posts
    2,444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

About one-third of the apps I've installed on the iPad I was using aren't available in iPad versions. This isn't an exaggeration.

- - - Updated - - -

I was able to download any iPhone app from the App Store on an iPad; not sure if it's changed now. This was about a year ago.
    Yes, that has changed now
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, a lot has changed.

You can still use the phone version, you just have to use iTunes to drag it over onto your tablet now.
    Thanked by 2:
    DroidArmy likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #582  

Global Posts
    2,444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

That is what the Note 3 is for!!!!
    Exactly. That's basically what I told them. I use a galaxy s3 and it's plenty big to do what they want me to do. It's absolutely ridiculous my work would buy iPads for everyone when most of us (seeing a lot of my coworkers use Galaxy devices) don't need them.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by DroidArmy View Post
    Yes, that has changed now
    Yeah, a lot has changed.

So now, instead of having apps that scale up badly on iOS, you can't even use those apps? So that means that you have about 1 million apps available on Android tablets, maybe 100,000 of which are optimized for tablets, and the rest of which aren't optimized but still work well on tablets, and while all apps for the iPad are optimized, there are only 400,000 available to download? I don't think that's a good solution.
    Last edited by return_0; 09-15-2013 at 06:06 PM.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #584  

Global Posts
    2,444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

So now, instead of having apps that scale up badly on iOS, you can't even use those apps? So that means that you have about 1 billion apps available on Android tablets, maybe 100,000 of which are optimized for tablets, and the rest of which aren't optimized but still work well on tablets, and while all apps for the iPad are optimized, there are only 400,000 available to download? I don't think that's a good solution.
    Maybe read the post farish just made? You can still use the phone apps
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts

So now, instead of having apps that scale up badly on iOS, you can't even use those apps? So that means that you have about 1 billion apps available on Android tablets, maybe 100,000 of which are optimized for tablets, and the rest of which aren't optimized but still work well on tablets, and while all apps for the iPad are optimized, there are only 400,000 available to download? I don't think that's a good solution.
    What? Apple by default shows iPad apps but you can choose to use iPhone apps.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

so now, instead of having apps that scale up badly on ios, you can't even use those apps? So that means that you have about 1 billion apps available on android tablets, maybe 100,000 of which are optimized for tablets, and the rest of which aren't optimized but still work well on tablets, and while all apps for the ipad are optimized, there are only 400,000 available to download? I don't think that's a good solution.
    1 billion? Haha!

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post
    1 billion? Haha!
    An ever so slight exaggeration.

Sony XTZ...like ecstasy indeed
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by 2:
    DroidArmy likes this.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post
    1 billion? Haha!
    xD sorry, made a typo.
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Busted for what? As soon as an app is updated it is turned into 64 bit. The developer has no choice to not make a 64 bit version.

Thank you, good game.

How many times do I have to specify I'm talking about apps that actually USE the extra capability that 64 bit can give? Not just the same old app with the same old functions just simply converted to 64 bit? I think this is the 3rd time I've made that clear. Do you need a few more? Do I need to break out Google translator or something? How is this hard to grasp?

Quote Originally Posted by Rule9 View Post
    How many times do I have to specify I'm talking about apps that actually USE the extra capability that 64 bit can give? Not just the same old app with the same old functions just simply converted to 64 bit? I think this is the 3rd time I've made that clear. Do you need a few more? Do I need to break out Google translator or something? How is this hard to grasp?
    Any app that uses encryption or decryption will enjoy the benefit of 64 bit and probably be faster in some regards.

The problem is, you may never noticed it or never knew that was the case.

You're confused. You don't have to add anything to take advantage, because xcode does that for you, exactly as he described.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    You're confused. You don't have to add anything to take advantage, because xcode does that for you, exactly as he described.

Please stop giving Chetan "I love my veggies" Takyar credit for repeating my postings. It will go to his head.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts

Please stop giving Chetan "I love my veggies" Takyar credit for repeating my postings. It will go to his head.
    No I'm sane,so far.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts

Perhaps you explained that in another thread. Perhaps one I am not participating in.

Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post

Tell me what the difference is between these two:

Scenario one: an app converts from 32 to 64 bit app, otherwise nothing about how it works is changed.

Scenario two: developer decides they want to add a bunch of complex capabilities not possible until now because 32bit wasn't capable of allowing it.

Can you explain what exactly is automated about scenario two?

Chet was trying to convince me that it's only going to take 3 months MAX for the majority of the devs in a store of nearly a million apps to not only do this, but to be motivated to do so. That right there is the part I find ludicrous, nothing more, nothing less.
    qxr likes this.

Tell me what the difference is between these two:

Scenario one: an app converts from 32 to 64 bit app, otherwise nothing about how it works is changed.

Scenario two: developer decides they want to add a bunch of complex capabilities not possible until now because 32bit wasn't capable of allowing it.

Can you explain what exactly is automated about scenario two?

Chet was trying to convince me that it's only going to take 3 months MAX for the majority of the devs in a store of nearly a million apps to not only do this, but to be motivated to do so. That right there is the part I find ludicrous, nothing more, nothing less.
    Nothing in the code about complex calculations, only code that really needs to change is assembly language. Data size and alignment is different so you need to take into account if you are exchanging app data between the 32bit version and 64bit version of the same app.

I can go into examples of this if you like.
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Nothing in the code about complex calculations, only code that really needs to change is assembly language. Data size and alignment is different so you need to take into account if you are exchanging app data between the 32bit version and 64bit version of the same app.

I can go into examples of this if you like.
    Not required, that was never the point of disagreement, I already stated my disagreement is with the timing.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Chet
    No.
    Thanked by 2:
    DroidArmy likes this.

Not required, that was never the point of disagreement, I already stated my disagreement is with the timing.
    He is probably saying that all the apps will be 64 bit because of the dual binary when updated. When it comes to data types, that automatically changes with going to 64 bit, so some items will be planned carefully. I have no clue on a timeline myself but I would be worried about any app that uses iCloud to sync data.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts

No.
    This.

Thanked by:
    return_0 and DroidArmy like this.
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 212223242526 LastLast