My Rant on the iPhone 5s

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, Apple finally did it. They released the phones we've known about for a while if you've been following the leaks. Honestly though, this release disappointed me. Apple has been falling behind in the market, and that's their fault. I think Apple is just throwing in things that are worthless without actually fixing the reason why people are switching away from the iPhone. Allow me to bring up the A7 processor. Apple is saying that this new 64 bit processor is the first of its kind, and it's absolutely revolutionary. I'm not seeing that, I'm seeing it as something that is just gimmicky. Samsung is planning on releasing a new version of the Exynos processor, which will boast full capabilities of the 8 cores and optimization to use all of the cores at once splitting up the tasks. That's what I call real innovation, a phone with that processor will slice through any process you throw at it without a hiccup. I'm not doubting the iPhone 5s will be lightening quick, I'm just saying a 64 bit processor isn't as amazing as Apple makes it out to be.

Another gimmicky thing Apple has added to the iPhone series is a finger scanner. Android has attempted that a long time ago, and there's a reason why we don't see it on phones. It doesn't serve a huge use to most people, it's just a feature along for the ride. And now the final thing that really disappointed me about the iPhone 5s release was the same size same ppi screen. Really Apple? And you're wondering why people are switching to the HTC one and Galaxy s4... The screen is too small! I hope that rumor about a possible 6 inch iPhone is true, otherwise Apple could be facing some issues down the road. There are many other things I could rant about, but I'm not going to write a novel. This is just my opinion, it doesn't mean the iPhone 5s isn't a great phone. I felt like ranting a bit and giving my honest opinion of the phone to you guys

UPDATE:
I have removed my comment about the finger scanner being insecure, I received incorrect information. If you want to see how secure the scanner actually is, it was in debate in this thread.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I wouldn't right off 64-bit processing capability so quickly. It's coming to Android next year with the next-gen ARM stuff. It's a big deal as far as forward thinking goes.

But nice rant. You said everything that everyone else has ever said about iPhone's since they started falling behind with the 4S. :thumbs up:

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, I wouldn't right off 64-bit processing capability so quickly. It's coming to Android next year with the next-gen ARM stuff. It's a big deal as far as forward thinking goes.

But nice rant. You said everything that everyone else has ever said about iPhone's since they started falling behind with the 4S. :thumbs up:
Yes it is coming to android within the next year. I'm certainly not saying its bad and it doesn't have it's advantages, I'm saying the way Apple made it sound was like it was space technology.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that the M7 contextual processor was originally going to be their big reveal, but then got both scooped and one-upped by the Moto X. So now they have to pretend that 64 bit is a big deal. I'll bet the camera is super nice, though. IMO, that's a bigger deal than all of the other stuff they've changed put together.

My guess is the fingerprint scanner is more of a convenience thing than a foolproof security layer. It seems unlikely that a thief would go to the trouble of stealing your fingerprints, it's a lot quicker just to steal a different phone. I agree it's a gimmick, though.

Also, with how much automation people have been accomplishing with Android devices, I think they missed out on yet another chance to incorporate NFC. If you want your phone to run your house then Android offers way more capabilities than iOS. I find it a bit bizarre how much they seem to be ignoring this. It seems like something that would be right up their alley.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
That's sort of why it's not that big of a deal. There will be a ton of different 64-bit smartphones before the software starts to take advantage of it. Incorporating it earlier than necessary isn't really innovation, it's just a product road map that wasn't super well thought out.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that the M7 contextual processor was originally going to be their big reveal, but then got both scooped and one-upped by the Moto X. So now they have to pretend that 64 bit is a big deal. I'll bet the camera is super nice, though. IMO, that's a bigger deal than all of the other stuff they've changed put together.

My guess is the fingerprint scanner is more of a convenience thing than a foolproof security layer. It seems unlikely that a thief would go to the trouble of stealing your fingerprints, it's a lot quicker just to steal a different phone. I agree it's a gimmick, though.

Also, with how much automation people have been accomplishing with Android devices, I think they missed out on yet another chance to incorporate NFC. If you want your phone to run your house then Android offers way more capabilities than iOS. I find it a bit bizarre how much they seem to be ignoring this. It seems like something that would be right up their alley.

If I was going to continue writing, I would have definitely wrote about the NFC issue. It's something that the iPhones should have. Like I said, I'm not trying to write a book on this website. Also, it wouldn't be that hard to get a fingerprint if they wanted it. The screen is covered in fingerprints.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's sort of why it's not that big of a deal. There will be a ton of different 64-bit smartphones before the software starts to take advantage of it. Incorporating it earlier than necessary isn't really innovation, it's just a product road map that wasn't super well thought out.

Didn't they say the OS was ready to take advantage of it? And that apps will be able to from the get go also? I wouldn't say it's earlier than necessary. It's the way Apple does things. They do a lot of things before anyone else. People just get laser focused on iOS not changing the fundamental way it operates and functions. Hardware, though, is a different story, and Apple is almost always at the head of the pack.

I'm no Apple fan, but it's impossible to ignore the fact that although they don't tout it, they make it a point to be at the forefront of performance.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If I was going to continue writing, I would have definitely wrote about the NFC issue. It's something that the iPhones should have. Like I said, I'm not trying to write a book on this website.

I'm not so sure about NFC as a necessity yet. I have it on my One, and only recently started using it when I got a camera that can connect through it. That's not the only way it connects, but it sure does make it easier. :)

I'm totally NOT sold on the fingerprint scanner, though. I feel like they did it just to say they did it better, assuming it's actually better.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
In addition to what Kevin said, let's at least look at the fingerprint scanner objectively. Yes, it's been tried in the past and hasn't been successful. No, that doesn't mean that Apple's current implementation will equate to the same level of utility (or futility). I don't pretend to know how well it will work, but I'll say this: the potential is there. Apple's new sensor has a 500ppi resolution, and though I can't seem to find any information on the resolution of the scanner in the Atrix, I would assume that an accurate scan at such a resolution would cut down on the ability to fool said scanner (operative phrase "cut down on," not "eliminate"). Furthermore, Apple's implementation allows for 360-degree scanning, meaning that you don't have to press in a certain way to achieve a successful scan. This is also something I don't remember being used in the past.

Now, having acknowledged those points (regardless of how valid they may be in reality), I think there are likely three primary functions to Apple's implementation: convenience, utility, and theft deterrence. The case for convenience is relatively straightforward: touch the home button and the phone unlocks, as it always has, if and only if you are the person unlocking it. That second part is what's new. Assuming Apple wouldn't release such a feature integrated with the home button of the iPhone without it being satisfactorily functional, then the convenience aspect is there. Now, as for utility, we see such features as the App Store/iTunes purchase security. Now, going back to the whole "if they're including it, it probably works fairly well" argument (which I sincerely hope is the case, as it benefits both the iPhone and Android, albeit indirectly for the latter), then this is probably going to be a fairly decent feature. Finally, there's theft deterrence. Lots of iPhones get stolen. I've had many friends whose iPhones were stolen. Let's get this out in the open: the fingerprint scanner is not an absolute security measure. There will be ways around it, but the key point here is that the fingerprint scanner will make it less worth the time and effort of stealing the phones once configured. No, not worthless to steal, but less worthwhile. The same could be said, to some degree, for any Android phone with decent lockscreen security.

Assuming what I've said above bears some resemblance to how things play out for the iPhone 5S, there's plenty of room for additional features in the future. When someone else attempts to use your iPhone, for example, you could automatically grant them limited access to the phone in a similar manner to Android 4.3's Restricted Profiles. We've all seen the "emergency call" option on smartphone lock screens, but aside from the ability to take photos, that's about all there is if you can't unlock the phone.

I won't be picking up an iPhone 5S, and I'm not entirely impressed by Apple's unveiling today, but I'm not counting out the fingerprint scanner just yet.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
In addition to what Kevin said, let's at least look at the fingerprint scanner objectively. Yes, it's been tried in the past and hasn't been successful. No, that doesn't mean that Apple's current implementation will equate to the same level of utility (or futility). I don't pretend to know how well it will work, but I'll say this: the potential is there. Apple's new sensor has a 500ppi resolution, and though I can't seem to find any information on the resolution of the scanner in the Atrix, I would assume that an accurate scan at such a resolution would cut down on the ability to fool said scanner (operative phrase "cut down on," not "eliminate"). Furthermore, Apple's implementation allows for 360-degree scanning, meaning that you don't have to press in a certain way to achieve a successful scan. This is also something I don't remember being used in the past.

Now, having acknowledged those points (regardless of how valid they may be in reality), I think there are likely three primary functions to Apple's implementation: convenience, utility, and theft deterrence. The case for convenience is relatively straightforward: touch the home button and the phone unlocks, as it always has, if and only if you are the person unlocking it. That second part is what's new. Assuming Apple wouldn't release such a feature integrated with the home button of the iPhone without it being satisfactorily functional, then the convenience aspect is there. Now, as for utility, we see such features as the App Store/iTunes purchase security. Now, going back to the whole "if they're including it, it probably works fairly well" argument (which I sincerely hope is the case, as it benefits both the iPhone and Android, albeit indirectly for the latter), then this is probably going to be a fairly decent feature. Finally, there's theft deterrence. Lots of iPhones get stolen. I've had many friends whose iPhones were stolen. Let's get this out in the open: the fingerprint scanner is not an absolute security measure. There will be ways around it, but the key point here is that the fingerprint scanner will make it less worth the time and effort of stealing the phones once configured. No, not worthless to steal, but less worthwhile. The same could be said, to some degree, for any Android phone with decent lockscreen security.

Assuming what I've said above bears some resemblance to how things play out for the iPhone 5S, there's plenty of room for additional features in the future. When someone else attempts to use your iPhone, for example, you could automatically grant them limited access to the phone in a similar manner to Android 4.3's Restricted Profiles. We've all seen the "emergency call" option on smartphone lock screens, but aside from the ability to take photos, that's about all there is if you can't unlock the phone.

I won't be picking up an iPhone 5S, and I'm not entirely impressed by Apple's unveiling today, but I'm not counting out the fingerprint scanner just yet.

Wow that was a long post! Anyway, back to debating. I'll agree, it does have potential (but limited). The fingerprint scanner is probably on the phone for ease of use, but I see it as a massive security flaw. If I wanted to, I could take a scan of a fingerprint off the screen and charge thousands and thousands of dollars worth of purchases if I stole the phone. I can see its benefits, but people in the security field will rip it apart. I think if the scanner could be used for limited profiles it would be awesome, but I doubt that will happen. You have to remember, this is Apple. You live by their ideas and rules in the iworld.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Wow that was a long post! anyway, back to debating. I'll agree, it does have potential (but limited). The fingerprint scanner is probably on the phone for ease of use, but I see it as a massive security flaw. If I wanted to, I could take scan of a fingerprint off the screen and charge thousands and thousands of dollars worth of purchases if I stole the phone. I can see its benefits, but people in the security field will rip it apart. I think if the scanner could be used for limited profiles it would be awesome, but I doubt that will happen. You have to remember, this is Apple. You live by their ideas an rules in the iworld.

True, but nobody will know for sure until they make it into the wild and people put it through the paces. I'm optimistic, but cautiously so.

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I think the scanner will prove to be a great feature, I cannot wait to try it. I have had phones stolen and people go through my data and photos, but still do not like passcodes because they are annoying. If this scanner works fast, this will the best feature Apple came up with in the last few years, just a personal opinion.

torndownunit

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
It was mostly disappointing today. Same old thing from Apple IMO.

Sent from my HTC One

Same old thing is improving an already great camera though. Something that is a big factor in a lot of peoples choice of phone now. As someone else in the thread said, those camera updates seem to get lost in the shuffle a bit.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The 5s is pretty much what was expected for an S upgrade, however... Apple just proved everyone that called the GS4 a GS3s wrong. THIS is how you do an 's' update. The 5c on the other hand... what in the world?

I'm also pretty unsure about the 64 bit processing on iOS. I'm not sure it's necessary there, yet anyways, or that the RAM needed to effectively utilize it is present and I'm more excited to see it come to Android.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Same old thing is improving an already great camera though. Something that is a big factor in a lot of peoples choice of phone now. As someone else in the thread said, those camera updates seem to get lost in the shuffle a bit.
I think the camera update was one of the very few things I liked about the new iPhone. IOS 7 is a joke, it's the worst thing to date that has ever been made by Apple. I will never ever buy another iPhone, because they will all be running variants of IOS 7. I don't care if it's the only thing there is, I will choose a 2001 Nokia over it

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
The 5s is pretty much what was expected for an S upgrade, however... Apple just proved everyone that called the GS4 a GS3s wrong. THIS is how you do an 's' update. The 5c on the other hand... what in the world?

I'm also pretty unsure about the 64 bit processing on iOS. I'm not sure it's necessary there, yet anyways, or that the RAM needed to effectively utilize it is present and I'm more excited to see it come to Android.

An S update in my opinion is a slight update, hence the S. It's minimal work for the same profit as a complete overhaul. It's always things like a better camera and processor. Do you know how long it would take me to switch those parts into an iPhone 5? no more than 5 minutes. They might as well call it an iPhone 5$ for how much money they're going to make because of idiots ditching the iPhone 5 for it.

Last edited:

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I think the camera update was one of the very few things I liked about the new iPhone. IOS 7 is a joke, it's the worst thing to date that has ever been made by Apple. I will never ever buy another iPhone, because they will all be running variants of IOS 7. I don't care if it's the only thing there is, I will choose a 2001 Nokia over it

I have been running the beta for a while and I disagree with you on this one, iOS 7 is really good, it is a completely different OS even if people think otherwise, the underlying foundation is different.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I have been running the beta for a while and I disagree with you on this one, iOS 7 is really good, it is a completely different OS even if people think otherwise, the underlying foundation is different.

I respect your opinion. And it is different, it's a huge change. It's just a change I don't like. To me (and this is my opinion so please don't be offended) I think it's a cheap rip-off of windows phone mixed in with colors that Jony Ive thought up when he was incredibly high. I actually liked IOS before IOS 7, it was clean and professional. Now, it's an eyesore and a joke of an OS.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I respect your opinion. And it is different, it's a huge change. It's just a change I don't like. To me (and this is my opinion so please don't be offended) I think it's a cheap rip-off of windows phone mixed in with colors that Jony Ive thought up when he was incredibly high. I actually liked IOS before IOS 7, it was clean and professional. Now, it's an eyesore and a joke of an OS.

I disagree VERY strongly with you

Posted via Android Central App

Status
Not open for further replies.