My Rant on the iPhone 5s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
There is one slight difference in the reasons to update or not update apps: Incentive.

Samsung has no motivation to remove the menu key because it actually makes their competition look worse. If they lapse and have a black bar menu soft-key appear, Samsung can point and laugh and pretend it's the other OEM's fault, and not Samsung. Developers, following Samsung's trend (due to their vast majority market share) don't have a lot of incentive to adopt unless they're hearing from customers that they're not using the app because it's not updated. It's the developer's fault, but the customers blame the OEM. This is compounded by many more apps being free on Android than on iOS.

Samsung is not likely to change soon because they have the same configuration (less one search key) in many generations of Galaxy devices now and making that change suddenly would be off-putting to many repeat customers who now don't know how to find menus. That's a big part of why they haven't even moved the back key to the 'standard' place that it sits on pretty much every other device.

Apple developers are all working with the exact same set of customers, many of whom are on the one (now two) latest device that has a scaling issue. They also are fighting for dollars, and ranking in results searches meaning that they want to keep as many customers happy as possible and there is no other OEM to blame. If an app sucks, it's the developer... people are usually not blaming the phone maker in that case.

This, in my opinion, is a prime indicator of why in roughly 12 months, many if not most apps, have been corrected to work on the iPhone 5 (and now 5s and 5c) sizes, while there are many and more apps on Android that ignore the guidelines regarding menus and settings.

This sums it up beautifully.

Posted via Android Central App

Busted. You claimed that almost all of the roughly million apps will fully utilize extra 64 bit power given by the A7 in just 3 months max, yet you just agreed it took roughly a year for the same number of apps to do something far simpler in scaling to a 4" screen.

Thank you, good game.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Apps are cool either way. Lol. You people are nuts. Just enjoy this awesome technology. Sometimes an app on my iPad is better than on my S4, sometimes the other way around. Either way, they let me be mobile & enjoy content on the go.

John Flud

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Busted. You claimed that almost all of the roughly million apps will fully utilize extra 64 bit power given by the A7 in just 3 months max, yet you just agreed it took roughly a year for the same number of apps to do something far simpler in scaling to a 4" screen.

Thank you, good game.

an app developer mentioned in another thread that the new apple developer kit automatically compiles apps in both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries even if you change just one character. This means that unless the developers just flat out don't touch their apps again, that they will be 64-bit ready, like it or not. the screen size however isn't automatic so some app developers might have chosen not to bother at first, though I know that now apple requires all app submissions to be compatible with the larger screen to negate this issue. So yeah being that developers aren't even given a choice in the matter, the only apps that won't be 64-bit ready are ones that aren't updated at all.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
That's not Apple. The developers have to do that. All the big Apps are scales for iPhone 5. What Apps were you using that wasn't scales 12 months after the 5 came out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I haven't used ios for a while, but the ones I can remember having problems with are X plane 9 and bloons tower defense 4. There were many others, but I can't remember what I had on my iPhone. They may be fixed now, and if they are that's great, but I know it was a problem when I had my iPhone.

It's partially the developers fault and partially Apple's as well. Seeing the apps wouldn't scale on the iPhone 5, the developers should have fixed the apps. That's a no brainer. But they wouldn't have that problem if apple thought ahead and made the screen the proper size for the apps to scale. All they did was stretch it vertically, the width is still the same. If they made it wider, they wouldn't have this problem.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Apple thinks how well the iPhone fits in a lady's hand is of the utmost importance. I can't say I agree with that priority as I would always choose a larger screen...but, then again, I'm a guy, what do I know?

Note 8.0

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used ios for a while, but the ones I can remember having problems with are X plane 9 and bloons tower defense 4. There were many others, but I can't remember what I had on my iPhone. They may be fixed now, and if they are that's great, but I know it was a problem when I had my iPhone.

It's partially the developers fault and partially Apple's as well. Seeing the apps wouldn't scale on the iPhone 5, the developers should have fixed the apps. That's a no brainer. But they wouldn't have that problem if apple thought ahead and made the screen the proper size for the apps to scale. All they did was stretch it vertically, the width is still the same. If they made it wider, they wouldn't have this problem.

Won't this simply lower the PPI of the screen, to the point where it loses its retina quality? The screen may be bigger, but with icons and fonts stretched accordingly, I wouldn't actually gain any extra useable space.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Won't this simply lower the PPI of the screen, to the point where it loses its retina quality? The screen may be bigger, but with icons and fonts stretched accordingly, I wouldn't actually gain any extra useable space.

Yes, but it would solve the problem. It would only be temporary until the proper modifications can be made to retain the PPI and add extra useable space. It would look much better than a tiny box in the middle of the screen

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Um... they can just add pixels then. Not a big problem.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Um... they can just add pixels then. Not a big problem.

Which means that developers still need to revamp their apps either way, since they don't automatically scale.

The next best alternative is to double the resolution again (effectively quadruple the pixels), but that would be massive overkill, and end up with a very awkward 2272x1280 resolution.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
more pixels is just such an easy and automatic solution. It must be why everybody is doing that....

When you make a game asset you need to start with the largest resolution picture and shrink it down. If the original asset is is 1280 x 720p for example and you add pixels for 1080p (1920 x 1080)it is going to look stretch, ugly, and awkward.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Which means that developers still need to revamp their apps either way, since they don't automatically scale.

The next best alternative is to double the resolution again (effectively quadruple the pixels), but that would be massive overkill, and end up with a very awkward 2272x1280 resolution.

Then how do iPhone apps scale to the iPad? None of the iPads have a resolution that is a multiple of any of the iPhones' resolutions.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Then how do iPhone apps scale to the iPad? None of the iPads have a resolution that is a multiple of any of the iPhones' resolutions.

Your current thought out reply has been interrupted by Benny's world famous enchilada omelet.

Your regularly scheduled rebuttal we come after breakfast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I am talking about the phone apps that scale up to the iPad. They exist, and there are lots of them.

Those are universal apps that are built with multiple layouts, you basically use the backend code but design layouts for each.
Here is a screenshot of the setup.

Then IOS requires two sets of assets one for standard resolution and the second for 2x resolutions.

What most do is make the 2x resolution first then scale it down to 1x resolution.

Attachments

• uni1.png
    uni1.png
    403.9 KB · Views: 16
  • uni2.png
    uni2.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 34

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Thank you, good game.

Busted for what? As soon as an app is updated it is turned into 64 bit. The developer has no choice to not make a 64 bit version.

Thank you, good game.

Posted via Android Central App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670