Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By RavenSword
  • 1 Post By lee.michael.f92
  • 1 Post By Rule9
  • 1 Post By garublador
  • 1 Post By 21stNow
  • 3 Post By Darth Spock
  • 1 Post By lee.michael.f92
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    I just got done watching the actual press video of the IPhone 5S event, and I'm really excited. See, as some of you probably know from my recent threads, I've been really debating whether to go back to iOS from android. I pretty much settled on a Google edition HTC ONE and I put my iPad 4 on eBay. I was ready to go all on on android.

    But then I I viewed some of the conference live blogs, and I just got done watching the video of the press event. And dammit, apple got me. All they talked about with the camera, finger print reader, the increased CPU performance and graphics performance, and now I took my iPad 4 off eBay and I'm pretty set on getting the 5S when I can on Oct 3rd (my upgrade date I'm going to use from my brother.)

    But maybe I'm kinda drinking the kool aid and caught in the hype of the day. Don't know, but right now I'm pretty jonzed to go back to iOS.

    Is anyone else similarly excited or thinking of going to or back to iPhone or iOS?

    I admit I'm kinda the type of person who gets sucked up in hype, lol.
    MERCDROID likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Dude if a slightly better camera and a incremental processor update moves you away from a far superior product then you never completely liked Android anyways. The Iphone 5 and IOS isn't a slow system to begin with because of its simplistic nature so a processor upgrade really doesn't make a difference. Go ahead with you 4 inch screen LOL ill be rocking the LG G2 thats far superior than the Iphone 5s that should have been release 2 years ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    I just got done watching the actual press video of the IPhone 5S event, and I'm really excited. See, as some of you probably know from my recent threads, I've been really debating whether to go back to iOS from android. I pretty much settled on a Google edition HTC ONE and I put my iPad 4 on eBay. I was ready to go all on on android.

    But then I I viewed some of the conference live blogs, and I just got done watching the video of the press event. And dammit, apple got me. All they talked about with the camera, finger print reader, the increased CPU performance and graphics performance, and now I took my iPad 4 off eBay and I'm pretty set on getting the 5S when I can on Oct 3rd (my upgrade date I'm going to use from my brother.)

    But maybe I'm kinda drinking the kool aid and caught in the hype of the day. Don't know, but right now I'm pretty jonzed to go back to iOS.

    Is anyone else similarly excited or thinking of going to or back to iPhone or iOS?

    I admit I'm kinda the type of person who gets sucked up in hype, lol.
  3. #3  
    MedioGringo's Avatar

    Posts
    107 Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Well if you're a person that gets sucked up in hype than you should just chill for a bit and make your decision later. No rush. See what the Nexus 5 turns out to be. The only reason I think anyone would consider an iphone 5s is for ios (if you prefer it) or the camera. Sounds like they just took the best parts of the HTC One's camera but kept the high pixel count. Sounds like a win win. The 5's camera was already really great so if you have to have the best camera on the market, maybe the iphone is the right choice. I could just never deal with that tiny screen. Or those massive bezels. Or ios.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    I friend of mine read some of the stuff on clipboard today and now she wants the 5s. I got her the 5 for her birthday in may because she just loves the iPhone.

    She got caught up, and understandably so..

    I'm android thru n thru I love my androids I've had but I know people like the iPhone and the new stuff coming out on it looks great to the average user.. Which is what apple has always sold towards.

    You've got time to make the descion and whatever you make I wish ya luck. I like Motorola and left it for a while and then came back.. Nothing wrong with someone changing their mind and then changing it back.. Lol.. (Insert free country comment here)

    Good luck.

    Using my Moto Droid Maxx
  5. #5  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    I'll chime in. come back to the dark side!

    I'm getting the 5S. I watched the press event too and I'm stoked. let the haters bash all they want.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Um, OK. anyone else, preferably a god damn adult, want to chime in?
    C'mon man... Adult? Really? You just used "Kool–aid" in your thread title...

    Not trying to be offense or anything but you're asking for it when you ask for opinions from individuals in an android world, i.e. Android Central about iOS.

    That being said I do think that the 5s brings good things to the table... how often you would need those features like a finger print scanner or a 64 bit processor or if a dual LED flash actually makes a difference is up to the user to decide whether or not they will use the features as a gimmick every once in awhile or as an everyday tool.

    I find myself reaching for my BB Q10 most of the times because it keeps calender and emails sync'd like no other. But I carry my S4 and my iPad with me aswell. There just isn't a perfect device out there anymore with so many selections in this technologically advancing world of ours. Sometimes it takes a little bit of everything to get the job done.

    Sent from where the wild things are.
    truthteller10 likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    I didn't see a single thing in iOS 7 your HTC One doesn't do better. Well, maybe the camera since yours is a Google edition.
    But still, I don't see what the hype you mention is all about.

    Except, maybe the pretty colors. :-P

    Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 usando Tapatalk 4
  8. #8  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    I'd say just get ios7 on an iPhone5. The fingerprint scanner doesn't really seem all that. And all that talk about them "finding the secret to bigger pixels" was absolute bs

    Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
  9. #9  
    Rule9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    811 Posts
    Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Um, OK. anyone else, preferably a god damn adult, want to chime in?
    Lol yeah I'll bite. Remember the article I linked you a couple weeks ago outlining the things iOS 7 still is unable to match android for in another thread you were asking for some help? I'd give it another read and decide if those capabilities are as important to you as they are to me. I also use Google maps and Google Now a lot which currently are a better experience on android than anywhere else.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    MERCDROID likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by MedioGringo View Post
    Well if you're a person that gets sucked up in hype than you should just chill for a bit and make your decision later. No rush. See what the Nexus 5 turns out to be. The only reason I think anyone would consider an iphone 5s is for ios (if you prefer it) or the camera. Sounds like they just took the best parts of the HTC One's camera but kept the high pixel count. Sounds like a win win. The 5's camera was already really great so if you have to have the best camera on the market, maybe the iphone is the right choice. I could just never deal with that tiny screen. Or those massive bezels. Or ios.
    I'll agree with that. The camera will probably be the best on the market for a while.

    I don't doubt it will have the fastest CPU on the market, too, but I don't think that's necessarily all that big of a deal. Wasn't the big argument that iOS fans were making up until yesterday that the "user experience" is more important than CPU power and that's why the iPhone 5 was as good, or better than the One or S4? Now Apple is trying to claim that the opposite is true, that you "need" more computing power in your phone. Another thing to consider when looking at the marketing material is why they're comparing the 5S to the original iPhone and not the iPhone 5. Again, I don't doubt that the CPU will be super fast, but when a phone company resorts to selling specs rather than features you have to wonder what the point in better specs really is. Is it something that will give you an advantage or is it just marketing hype to try to sell phones?

    The M7 processor is cool, and a very welcome addition to the iPhone, but it's something you can get with Android, along with another processor that handles continuous voice recognition. The most exciting part about it is that it adds more legitimacy to that concept and I think it makes it more likely that more Android phones will have that type of architecture in the future. I'll bet Apple is super bummed that Motorola beat them to that. IMO, it's by far the biggest advancement in smartphone technology of the past few years.

    Whether or not the fingerprint scanner is worth it seems highly situational. I don't use a PIN or lock pattern on my phone because I've never had the need, but if you want better security or spend a lot of time typing in your password to buy apps then it's probably a good feature.

    The screen size would absolutely be a deal breaker for me. That and the lack of customization options. I like being able to make my own to-do list or custom list of locations I can access or add to how I want (even from other devices) or add custom features that aren't found on other phones. An improved processor (which will undoubtedly be bested before the next iPhone comes out) and better camera just isn't enough to make up for the lost functionality and screen size. I'd rather my phone do more than it do the same things all other phones do, but slightly faster.

    If you like using a tablet then I'd keep the iPad either way. It's a pretty commonly held opinion, even by many Android phone users, that the iPad is superior to most all Android tablets. IMO, you have to be willing to put in the work to take advantage of the custom automation and inter device communication you'd get with an Android tablet, and my guess is that anyone considering an iPhone probably isn't interested enough to do that. There's nothing wrong with either approach, it's just that you have to give up quite a bit to get those relatively specialized features.

    I suppose the point of this thread isn't to convince you to switch to Android. It's been pretty obvious from most other threads that you'd rather stay with iOS. You don't need our blessing, buy whichever phone you want.
    cdf3 likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by lee.michael.f92 View Post
    C'mon man... Adult? Really? You just used "Kool–aid" in your thread title...

    Not trying to be offense or anything but you're asking for it when you ask for opinions from individuals in an android world, i.e. Android Central about iOS.

    That being said I do think that the 5s brings good things to the table... how often you would need those features like a finger print scanner or a 64 bit processor or if a dual LED flash actually makes a difference is up to the user to decide whether or not they will use the features as a gimmick every once in awhile or as an everyday tool.

    I find myself reaching for my BB Q10 most of the times because it keeps calender and emails sync'd like no other. But I carry my S4 and my iPad with me aswell. There just isn't a perfect device out there anymore with so many selections in this technologically advancing world of ours. Sometimes it takes a little bit of everything to get the job done.

    Sent from where the wild things are.
    "drinking the kool-aid" is a expression.

    Also, this is the "other OS" discussion forum. And the IOS section of said other OS discussion forum to boot. So how is it crazy that I'm talking about iOS in the iOS forum? Or does this discussion sub forum only exist to bash IOS and not discuss it?
  12. #12  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    "drinking the kool-aid" is a expression.

    Also, this is the "other OS" discussion forum. And the IOS section of said other OS discussion forum to boot. So how is it crazy that I'm talking about iOS in the iOS forum? Or does this discussion sub forum only exist to bash IOS and not discuss it?
    It's not crazy to want to discuss iOS in the iOS sub-forum. But you did come off very harshly in your second post. The reaction isn't going to be as friendly in this situation.

    As far as your original post, if you like the features offered with the iPhone 5S/iOS 7, go for it. Use what works best for you.
    lee.michael.f92 likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by 21stNow View Post
    It's not crazy to want to discuss iOS in the iOS sub-forum. But you did come off very harshly in your second post. The reaction isn't going to be as friendly in this situation.

    As far as your original post, if you like the features offered with the iPhone 5S/iOS 7, go for it. Use what works best for you.
    Then I apologize.

    Anyway, I would really mean so widgets, Google now, and the tight integration to Google services. But honestly I Can't seem to find that Android phone that uses a simple UI, little end when there's 1080p phones out there. to no lag, good camera, great battery life, and will be supported and keep up during my two years of using it. I thought the motor x might be that Android phone, but the camera is apparently lacking and I'm not sure how I feel about its screen when there's 1080p phones out there for around the same price.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by truthteller10 View Post
    The Iphone 5 and IOS isn't a slow system to begin with because of its simplistic nature so a processor upgrade really doesn't make a difference. Go ahead with you 4 inch screen LOL ill be rocking the LG G2 thats far superior than the Iphone 5s that should have been release 2 years ago.
    You seem to have forgot everything a CPU does aside from operating system tasks.

    The new cpu is what allows 120 FPS in HD. It also means PS3/Xbox 360 level graphics. It also means that my photon flash browser (yes there are Flash browsers on iOS) will actually run smooth and fast. That means much faster file encoding. Youtube uploads. iMovie editing. Lower latency when recording.

    Also, to better articulate what you were trying to say about iOS not being slow because its simple, to put it correctly, it's because iOS is coded in C, and has lower latency, than Android which is coded in Java and is less efficient.

    Awww how cute, you thought iOS ran faster because it has fewer menus and settings!
  15. #15  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,712 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    iOS is somewhat hard to compare to Android in that they're distinct philosophies, and more so from a Galaxy or HTC to iOS, but... at the things that make Android awesome, iOS is terrible. It'd be really hard for me to recommend iOS devices for an Android enthusiast that had nothing invested in the Apple ecosystem.

    That being said, if you're already in both worlds, can appreciate the simplicity and polish and give up some of the more muscled functionality, then it's a solid device with great customer support and a best in class smart phone camera that I kind of wish they'd sell as just a camera.

    You're comparing two top 5 devices against each other, but they're pretty close to opposite ends of the spectrum in that realm. It's possible to go much further away from iOS into Samsung world, but then we're talking top 10 devices and I think you're right to narrow it down to best in class devices.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  16. #16  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    There are so many similar threads, I thought I posted in this one.

    Is there a true compelling reason to switch to IOS regardless of hardware at the moment?

    When I first got my S4 I openly stated that I would have never switched if there was a 4.5 inch or greater iPhone screen.

    Now even if the 5s came in a larger screen size, the only reason I could possibly find compelling is iMessage. Yet I learned to live without it.

    I wish OEM support was better with Macs but what I discovered is OEM support is just as bad when it comes to Windows.

    IOS 7 has been running on my iPad mini since the announcement and even though I love all the new toggles and multitasking it just isn't compelling enough.

    Maybe the only thing I really really liked was the Calendar design. I thought that was great.

    Otherwise the rest of IOS7 is kind of mediocre when you already had the same experience with Android.
  17. #17  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,510 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by cptnCheesecake View Post
    You seem to have forgot everything a CPU does aside from operating system tasks.

    The new cpu is what allows 120 FPS in HD. It also means PS3/Xbox 360 level graphics. It also means that my photon flash browser (yes there are Flash browsers on iOS) will actually run smooth and fast. That means much faster file encoding. Youtube uploads. iMovie editing. Lower latency when recording.

    Also, to better articulate what you were trying to say about iOS not being slow because its simple, to put it correctly, it's because iOS is coded in C, and has lower latency, than Android which is coded in Java and is less efficient.

    Awww how cute, you thought iOS ran faster because it has fewer menus and settings!
    Actually it is objective c. And you have to use apples developer kit (xcode, which carries a yearly, rather hefty fee), which honestly is so easy to use a shovel could build an iOS app, no insult intended. And you're wrong, android apps can be programmed in either java or c#. It just requires a little more effort to get an ide setup for c#, which would most likely mean using either code blocks or monodevelop.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

    Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

    Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  18. #18  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Actually it is objective c. And you have to use apples developer kit (xcode, which carries a yearly, rather hefty fee), which honestly is so easy to use a shovel could build an iOS app, no insult intended. And you're wrong, android apps can be programmed in either java or c#. It just requires a little more effort to get an ide setup for c#, which would most likely mean using either code blocks or monodevelop.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Apple Xcode is free unless you wish to publish apps and test it on your device, then it is 100 dollars.

    Visual Studio with MSDN renewal rates are anywhere from 800-4300 dollars and starting out you can spend over 13K.

    Xcode doesn't make anything easier except UI/Layout design(Storyboarding is awesome). Android Studio is a step closer but still lacks this versus Xcode.
    A lot and I mean a lot complain about Eclipse and other environments because of this fact.

    Objective C is just as hard as any other language. I would say there are much easier languages like Python to learn first.

    Visual Studio is probably the best development environment and also they have a free version too to start with.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    I'm very excited about the 5S and I mean it. Will be switching from the Nexus 4 to it.

    Posted via Android Central App
  20. #20  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    lol i know you
  21. #21  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    I'm very excited about the 5S and I mean it. Will be switching from the Nexus 4 to it.

    Posted via Android Central App
    guess who i am? i've been to your house
  22. #22  
    Jennifer Stough's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,029 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by androidnewbie12 View Post
    guess who i am? i've been to your house
    Please take your guessing game to PM. I'm tired of cleaning up your guess who posts.

    Otherwise, really guys, please keep the discussion civil and don't insult others maturity or intelligence.
    Thanked by:
  23. #23  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by androidnewbie12 View Post
    guess who i am? i've been to your house
    This is creepy.

    Posted via Android Central App
  24. #24  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Maybe the only thing I really really liked was the Calendar design. I thought that was great.
    I watch a friend of mine using the calendar on his iPhone and I absolutely hate the frigging thing.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
  25. #25  

    Default Re: maybe im drinking the apple kool-aid, but

    Honestly if you're a techie then jumping on the newest piece of hardware and software is a given. I'm excited about the 5s because it opens more opportunities for technology tree I expand.

    Sent from where the wild things are.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Concerned about the Speakers... What's your thoughts
    By Rickgsx in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 09:37 AM
  2. Do the signal bars represent CDMA or LTE?
    By prodigy1814 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 07:32 PM
  3. The Whole Screen Lights Up when I receive a Text Message
    By ArtistPaula in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 12:21 AM
  4. where is the google sound search?
    By preppystud in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2013, 08:38 AM
  5. Can't buy apps on the play store !
    By IIFallenKingII in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Posting Permissions

B